How many miles when the "You need gas" light comes on??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > How many miles when the "You need gas" light comes on???

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 03-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

How many miles when the "You need gas" light comes on???

Usually when that light comes on I start looking for a gas station. But, let's say you are out in unfamiliar territory and don't know where the nearest gas station is. What is the reserve? 2 Gallons? Approx 30 miles? Just curious to what anyone has noticed or experienced. I have a 2007 Compass 4X4 Limited, more interested in the figures for the Compass, but might be useful for the Patriot owners too.

Thanks,

Rob

'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

roughly 40 miles.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Mine has been consistently 2 gals left in the tank.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 05:48 AM   #4
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Mine has been consistently 2 gals left in the tank.

DITTO. in winter weather, i refuse to let my tank go below half, but last fall i did let it run down until the light came on just to see how much i had left. after filling up, i figured i had 2 gallons left.

good to know, but i wouldn't recommend making a habit of it.
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My commute is 25 miles with fill up points at both ends and one right in the middle. Just lucky I guess.

Unread 03-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
jjdejesus
2008 MK Patriot 

I think the manual says you have a gallon left, but after I fill up, it usually is about .5 - .8 of a gallon. Maybe next week I will carry some gas with me and ride until the end to see how far I get
jjdejesus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I was going to fill up today since I'm about down to 1/4 tank left but I'll run it until it "dinds" to double check for you.

Unread 03-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
Jeepster55

i've run mine down to 'the light' twice. the last time the light came on just as i was about to pull into the BP. it still had 2 gallons in it, and i (although i've been told NOT to do this) always TOP IT OFF after the pump quits on its own.
Unread 03-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

My problem is that I commute 57 miles each way to work. So for me to stop when my tank gets to half would be every day. I hate stopping for gas. I did some math, 'cause I's all kinda smart - hahaha

My old car 2007 Camry SE V6: 18 gallon tank. Would fill up 16.5 gallons and be @ 380 miles = 23.03 mpg (I drove like a maniac in that car, 80 plus a lot)

New Jeep Compass: 13.5 gallon tank. Fill up 12 gallons and be at 285 miles = 23.75 mpg (I drive less aggressive, and probably a good thing for living longer. hardly ever go over 70)

So in the end I am getting about the same milage with the Jeep, just have to stop for gas more often. I just don't want to get caught out and run out of gas. If I can get 2.5 days on a tank I am happy and I am very close to that. I think adding the K&N cold air intake and the exhaust might be helfull of maybe 1 mpg or so.

Any thoughts?
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Unread 03-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
Jeepster55

hey Rob....."Antelope CA", is that in "Antelope Valley"? my kids went to high school there.

anyway, i drive about 60-70 miles/day to and from work. i know the feeling. if i could change anything on my Compass, it would be to have a LARGER GAS TANK, say an 18-20 gallon. but my guess is that they were trying to keep the weight down and the MPG's UP. too bad.

guess i'll have to make do......
Unread 03-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Actually, The Antelope I live in is in NorCAL. Up between Sacramento and Roseville. I agree a bigger tank would be nice. I am still looking for an after market larger tank, that would rule, even if it was 4-5 gallons bigger.

Unread 03-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #12
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_rector View Post
Actually, The Antelope I live in is in NorCAL. Up between Sacramento and Roseville. I agree a bigger tank would be nice. I am still looking for an after market larger tank, that would rule, even if it was 4-5 gallons bigger.
It's called a jerry can, mounts to the rear of the vehicle

Seriously there will not be any aftermarket fuel tanks to fit the Compass/Patriot twins- no where to put it and too small of a market to offset the costs of making it. All that is out there is generic tanks that have to be plumbed into the fuel system some how. Also adding a tank may cause problems with the emissions since the fuel tank is part of the emissions system.

Also on a side note it is generally bad to run low on fuel since it is the flow of fuel through the fuel pump that cools it and running out will cause the pump to overheat and fail.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #13
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjeepguy View Post
It's called a jerry can, mounts to the rear of the vehicle

Seriously there will not be any aftermarket fuel tanks to fit the Compass/Patriot twins- no where to put it and too small of a market to offset the costs of making it. All that is out there is generic tanks that have to be plumbed into the fuel system some how. Also adding a tank may cause problems with the emissions since the fuel tank is part of the emissions system.

Also on a side note it is generally bad to run low on fuel since it is the flow of fuel through the fuel pump that cools it and running out will cause the pump to overheat and fail.
What about a big bladder - hehehehe - Oh well, just gotta live with it I have had the Jeep 2 weeks and love it so far. Can't wait to go to the snow with it and the mud

Unread 03-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

I haven't seen an answer to this yet, but how many gallons does the Compass hold? Better yet, how many litres since I am Canadian.
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightfallzx2 View Post
I haven't seen an answer to this yet, but how many gallons does the Compass hold? Better yet, how many litres since I am Canadian.
The specs say the tank is 13.5 gallons ... about 51.1 litres

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.