Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

How to know if my trans has low gear

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Gramps 
#1 ·
Hi,
I own a compass 2007 (2.4 L). I'm calling some junkyards for a used transmission (because mine is already dead, after 35 000 miles:mad:) and they ask if my transmission is with or without low gear. How do I know that? Of course I have a "D" and a "L" on the gear selector. Is that it ? The shops I have called all have trans without low gear.

Thanks

#5 ·
Sorry didn't read that he mentioned the compass specifically. Compass didn't have the FDII package till 2011 I believe. L just puts it into a the lower gear range (what putting it into 2nd or 3rd on a regular automatic) you would be looking for a patriot of that age for one that says Off Road next to the L on the shifter. I think for 2007 they did not have the auto shift, so it just has an L, but no off road next to it.

The transmissions are the same between a FWD/FDI/FDII, but the FDII has a lower final drive. its not really a low gear like you would find in a traditional 4x4, its just the overall gear ratios are lower (hence the lower mpg's)

basically you do NOT have the low gear, so they have the correct trans.

#6 ·
Correct. There will be a stamping on the case that says "CVT-2' and that was used in all FWD and FD I packages. The FD II version is stamped "CVT-2L" and has the lower transaxle ratio. The 'gears' on the transmission section are all the same, it's the final drive on the 'Axle' section that actually makes it an 'L' and the splines are different and they do not interchange. The Compass didn't have the FD II until 2011.

#10 ·
Correct. There will be a stamping on the case that says "CVT-2' and that was used in all FWD and FD I packages. The FD II version is stamped "CVT-2L" and has the lower transaxle ratio. The 'gears' on the transmission section are all the same, it's the final drive on the 'Axle' section that actually makes it an 'L' and the splines are different and they do not interchange. The Compass didn't have the FD II until 2011.
fixed for ya gramps :) they gave the compass FD-II with the 2011 redesign.

#9 ·
Haha! Unfortunately, I work in Good Lord's garage. ;) It's too cold right now (and snowy), so the plan is to do it in June. My old trans is noisy but still working. I'll post some updates when I do it. And I may ask again for some help!
Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.