How to hook up a vacuum gauge? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > How to hook up a vacuum gauge?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
horsey2k

How to hook up a vacuum gauge?

I was wondering how to hook up a vacuum gauge? The instruction said I needed to connect the vacuum sensor to any constant vacuum source? Could anybody tell me where to cut the hose to put a T-fitting in? Could you tell me the detail location? thank you!

horsey2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsey2k View Post
I was wondering how to hook up a vacuum gauge? The instruction said I needed to connect the vacuum sensor to any constant vacuum source? Could anybody tell me where to cut the hose to put a T-fitting in? Could you tell me the detail location? thank you!
Brake booster works well if you have the right size tee. Basically any hose coming off the intake manifold has a constant vacuum.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
horsey2k

I don't know much about cars, would you tell me the specific location. Is there any quarter inch constant vacuum lines? thank you!
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
schoat333
2008 MK Patriot 

being that you dont have a real good understanding of cars, i would say to see if you could have someone help you with it. the brake boosters vacuum line is probably 5/16" or 3/8"' hose, so you would need vacuum adapters.
schoat333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
ChvyKc
2006 XK Commander 

Any hose on the motor after the throttle body is fine. The throttle body is the very first thing after the intake.
ChvyKc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It's dark when I leave and dark when I get home. I'll try and take a picture of a likely victim this week end.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
horsey2k

thank you for all you guys
Unread 11-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The victim

Pull off the engine cover (if you have one) by just lifting straight up. Some people like to take out the dip stick and take off the oil filler cap but you don't have to.

The brake booster is below the master cylinder and you can see the check valve that is circled in all of the shots. This vacuum hose is the one with the woven braiding around, it runs all the way from the booster up to the front of the engine and then down in front and under the plastic runners from the intake manifold. A common I.D for the hose is 11/32" but you'll need to check the size for yourself. Get a "T" that's the correct size to connect the hose back together after you cut it and tap off for your auxiliary hose. Something like a 3/8 x 3/8 x 1/4. I don't think that "T's" are made in 11/32, you'll just have to push harder to get the hose on. You can cut it where ever it's convenient, just leave yourself some working room.
vacumm-line-001a.jpg   vacumm-line-002a.jpg   evacumm-line-003.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
horsey2k

Thanks for the pictures, very helpful.
Unread 12-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
nick8387
2008 MK Compass 

im also considering putting in a vacuum gauge, the only thing holding me back is actually mounting the gauge in the car. does anyone have any suggestions, i was thinking of finding someone to fiberglass one at an audio shop.
nick8387 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 12:44 AM   #11
horsey2k

I bought a Glowshift Elite series vacuum gauge, it's electrical gauge, so you dont need to run a electrical wire though the firewall, not the vacuum hose.
you can check www.glowshift.com,
it also comes with a gauge pod. it looks great on my compass, I will take some pictures someday this week.
Unread 12-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #12
nick8387
2008 MK Compass 

i just ordered the glowshift tinted 7 color series with the universal swivel pod. where did you hook up all your electrical connections.
Unread 12-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
horsey2k

tap red wire to switch ignition wire, and black wire to ground. then put a tee connector to the brake booster vacuum hose. the vacuum hose is on the right hand side of the engine, you can see "vacuum" printed on that hose. very easy to find it.
Unread 12-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
nick8387
2008 MK Compass 

do you have any pics of your gauge so we can see what it looks like
Unread 12-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #15
horsey2k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.