How does the Compass handle snow/ice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > How does the Compass handle snow/ice?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 09-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
dragon672
2014 MK Compass 

How does the Compass handle snow/ice?

Alright I know no car/suv handles ice well. I'm wondering about how the Compass handles snow. Like up to 8 inches of snow? I can't make up my mind between the Compass and the GJC; yes I know the GJC will handle snow better but the MPG and gas tank size versus what I am driving now is killing me.

dragon672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

I had mine a 2012 fd2 in 12 inches and had no problems at all. Pretty much unplowed to in certain areas. I wouldn't say it was better than my liberty or ram I had at one time but it is very good if you ask me.
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
dragon672
2014 MK Compass 

That's what I was wanting to know.
dragon672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

My FD2 is ok in snow. Only gripe is jerkyness of tranny/throttle response almost encourages tire spin.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
jacko15
2014 WK 

Our '08 is a bear in snow when locked into 4WD. 8-10 inches of fresh, wet snow down our 120' driveway is a piece of cake. Since we got it I don't have to blow out the driveway in the morning to send my wife off to work!
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

I have a Patriot but it is the same thing. I have the regular FDI 4WD and it handles the snow and ice very well just the same. Even when I am towing my duck boat in Jan and Feb and having to launch my boat on snow and ice covered ramps.

Unless you off road the FDII is overkill and your MPG takes a big hit vs FDI. I would not get FDII if you only use the vehicle on road.

A big factor in how it will handle the snow and ice however will be the tires. The OEM tire offerings on the Patriot and Compass ALL SUCK! You can get tires that will do much better.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

2nd on the tires. I've only driven in snow a couple of times, being in AZ. both times with good ATS tires, and I honestly didn't even know I was on snow, and it was more ice, as it was a dirt road covered in snow then grated, so it was packed hard.

aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
KLRJEEPER

I loved my fd2 in the snow. Key with any rig is tire choice. For the pat, toyo garrit ice radial for winter. They are awesome.
KLRJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Stock Goodyears do fine in snow. I dont see a reason to put a winter tire on unless its studded.
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

Yea my stock Goodyear wrangler SRA's suited me fine in the winter and the offroading I have done
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
KLRJEEPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Stock Goodyears do fine in snow. I dont see a reason to put a winter tire on unless its studded.
I drive alot in the winter, the toyo garrits are studless, they are better than studded tires. I have them on my mazda 5 now too. they handle snow and ice better than any tire I have tried. the stock sr-a goodyears are crap, and im being polite. I got rid of mine on the patriot after I got 3 flats in one month. had the same tire on my wrangler too, 4 flats in 2 wks....garbage. spend a bit of money on decent rubber and your compass will be much more capable in any conditions.

I am running cooper ST Maxx on my wrangler and after 70k on them, they are still working, now I will be replacing them with another set as they performed really good in any condition. I swap to cooper/terra trac winter studded tires on my wrangler as at the time, I could not get the garrits in the size I wanted.

On our new patriot, I will be running a cooper at tire in 225/75/16, for summer and garrits in the winter.

fugitiveOCR,

you would not understand real winter driving being from California. you need to come exeperience a nice Newfoundland winter, you will understand where im coming from then.

this linnk gives you an idea on what we face on an almost daily basis in newfoundland.. this is just the start of a storm, our roads get packed snow/slush that turns to ice that you cannot even step on and your down on your ***. blowing snow to zero visability and general all around hard winter conditions.

with the garrits, the pat handles this with ease, with the sr-a's you would be stuck or out in the weeds.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/ph...w-20130209.jpg

as for the patriot being better than other vehicles, it has a .2" advantage in ground clearance compared to the toyota 4 runner, and only gives .2" to the liberty. With its awd system the patirot will follow the liberty anywhere you want to go in snow. expeditions west did a test and the patriot did better than every other vehicle in the snow excpt the rubicon. go check it out.
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
jacko15
2014 WK 

The Firestone Affinity tires that came stock on ours worked so well in the snow that we replaced them with the same thing when we needed new tires last year. And as I said before, we get lots of lake effect snow here. It's not the north pole, but a foot of snow is not uncommon. And these tires are quiet and handle well on dry pavement too.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
KLRJEEPER

just for reference on the patriots capabilites.

I read this before I bought my 2010 and I have used it in this manner. I traded it in for my 2011 wrangler unlimited, only because I wanted a larger vehicle for taking the family on trips. we now have a new 2014 patriot FDII ordered. good times again!..

Along with the patriot, I have the rocky road lift, rock sliders, front winch and light bar, and roof rack ordered for when it gets here as well as 16" wheels for the a/t tires.

Here is the Expeditions west review!

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...views/patriot/
Unread 09-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Right because the Sierra Nevada never gets snow. Nor did Eastern Washington or North IdAho when I lived there. And especieally not Breckenridge, Colorado. Yeah I know nothing of driving in the snow.
Unread 09-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRJEEPER

I drive alot in the winter, the toyo garrits are studless, they are better than studded tires. I have them on my mazda 5 now too. they handle snow and ice better than any tire I have tried. the stock sr-a goodyears are crap, and im being polite. I got rid of mine on the patriot after I got 3 flats in one month. had the same tire on my wrangler too, 4 flats in 2 wks....garbage. spend a bit of money on decent rubber and your compass will be much more capable in any conditions.

I am running cooper ST Maxx on my wrangler and after 70k on them, they are still working, now I will be replacing them with another set as they performed really good in any condition. I swap to cooper/terra trac winter studded tires on my wrangler as at the time, I could not get the garrits in the size I wanted.

On our new patriot, I will be running a cooper at tire in 225/75/16, for summer and garrits in the winter.

fugitiveOCR,

you would not understand real winter driving being from California. you need to come exeperience a nice Newfoundland winter, you will understand where im coming from then.

this linnk gives you an idea on what we face on an almost daily basis in newfoundland.. this is just the start of a storm, our roads get packed snow/slush that turns to ice that you cannot even step on and your down on your ***. blowing snow to zero visability and general all around hard winter conditions.

with the garrits, the pat handles this with ease, with the sr-a's you would be stuck or out in the weeds.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/ph...w-20130209.jpg

as for the patriot being better than other vehicles, it has a .2" advantage in ground clearance compared to the toyota 4 runner, and only gives .2" to the liberty. With its awd system the patirot will follow the liberty anywhere you want to go in snow. expeditions west did a test and the patriot did better than every other vehicle in the snow excpt the rubicon. go check it out.
I'm not impressed

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.