How to change out the radio?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > How to change out the radio??

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 10-04-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
lynnk

How to change out the radio??

Does anyone know how to open up the dash to remove the radio and install another one? Service manuals don't appear to be available yet. I have a new RAQ unit and want to replace the RFE unit that came with the Compass. It isn't obvious to me how to get to the radio.

lynnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
lynnk

Well, I had the dealer install the RAQ unit in the Compass and remover the RKE unit that came with it ... $80 for him to replace and reprogram the computer to recogize the radio.... not bad ... and the new radio works great.

A couple of notes for anybody trying to figure out which radio to get in your compass because the dealer info isn't real clear and your salesperson may not know this either:

1. The RKE unit (single CD) plays regular CD's and has an input jack for plugging in an MP3 player or other audio source. The unit can also be fed with the Sirus satellite receiver if you buy that. If you have the satellite service, you will only see the channel number on the radio display and the name of the station (like "Gold") on the Vehicle Information Center located under the speedometer. You will not get any of the other information, like song title or artist.

2. The RAQ unit is the 6 disk model that can also have a Sirius satellite input. This unit does not have a jack for an auxiliary input. This unit will play regular CD's and also MP3 CD's. If you don't have the satellite radio, you can buy a PIE adapter to add an auxiliary input ( it uses the satellite connection into the radio). If you already have the satellite, the PIE can't be added unless you want to disconnect the satellite. This unit does display all the satellite info, such as artist and title (although it doesn't automatically scroll the info. . you have to push the info button to manually see the rest of the info.) I also found the display brightness to be a little dimmer than the RKE unit ... in bright sunlight it isn't quite as easy to read .. fine in lower light or nightime.
Unread 10-17-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Great lynnk,

Glad you've got the system that you wanted. I've got the RAQ and have a little difficulty playing back more than about 50 cuts on a CD with over 200 tunes on them. I've been using Music Match forever and had a "little" problem with my older Alpine system but finally figured the settings out for that. If you get a full CD to play back can you pass along which program and settings that your using? I'd really appreciated it! Thanks.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
lynnk

Will do .... I note the book says it can handle a maximum of 255 songs on a single CD. I've been burning mine with Nero. I haven't tried one with a lot of songs on .. will do and let you know the results.
Unread 10-28-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
blake0

I also have RAQ model and I can play a full CD without problems. I use RecordNow! Deluxe 7.3 to burn the mp3's. One of my CDs have 184 songs on 12 folders. Some folders are inside other folders. I have't had any problem with any of the CD's I have tried, I have use DAO and multisessions CD's without problem.
blake0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Blake0,

I haven't fooled around with the settings yet but they're on my list. I've done a few "short" sessions, 72 files, 15 folders, and they have come out OK. Not a lot of time to play with this right now, just a little at a time. Thanks for the feedback!
Unread 10-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
blake0

No problem, if you need more info just let me know.
Unread 10-29-2006, 11:32 AM   #8
dinger81

Is it feasible to install an aftermarket CD player in lieu of the factory options?
dinger81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 02:38 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake0
No problem, if you need more info just let me know.

blake0

Thanks for the offer. Here is what I've found out so far.

Musicmatch was corrupt and finally crashed, so I have re downloaded and burned 214 files on a CD-R and it came back that "burn failed, may be a bad disk" (twice). Tried this disk in my computer and all "seems" OK. I'll try it out in the Compass tomorrow. After that I had received a response from MM Tech support on removing EVERYTHING including HKEY in the regedit and I'll do that a little later and let you know how it goes. First I'll get MM properly loaded, 2nd check out my DVD recorder and last check out disk quality.

A side question that I have for you, maybe you can help is this: Wifes '96 GC does not play mp3's and doesn't always want to play audio files on CD-R's. Have you ever tried the CD-Audio (recordable) disc's in a unit that won't play CD-R's and do they work?

I once recorded some stuff for an old Sony that wouldn't play CD-R's but would play CD-RW's.

Thanks, gramps

8:00 am update. All tracks were recognized. Problems appear to be from software.

Last edited by Gramps; 10-30-2006 at 07:41 AM..
Unread 11-01-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
blake0

@grampsmopar:

CD-R Audio discs don't necessary offer higher quality media, so I don't think they would help with your problem. Besides that they are generally more expensive and your paying for an extra space code that is use by special CD-recording drive (this code wouldn't make any difference in audio quality nor your drive would use it), otherwise they are the same as CD-R's.

You can try to use different brands of CD-R's to see which work better on your wife's radio. Other thing you could try is burning them at low speed, 4x works better for older optic lenses, at least in my experience.
Unread 11-01-2006, 05:50 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake0
@grampsmopar:

CD-R Audio discs don't necessary offer higher quality media, so I don't think they would help with your problem. Besides that they are generally more expensive and your paying for an extra space code that is use by special CD-recording drive (this code wouldn't make any difference in audio quality nor your drive would use it), otherwise they are the same as CD-R's.

You can try to use different brands of CD-R's to see which work better on your wife's radio. Other thing you could try is burning them at low speed, 4x works better for older optic lenses, at least in my experience.
These are for the wife's GC not mine. Tried burning at 4X too. I don't think that her older system likes CD-R's, I think that she needs the ones that are pre-formated for audio. I'll make an Audio for her and sometimes they'll play, sometimes they'll skip. You just never know. Ya, I know that they are more spendy and the quality is no different. I may get a couple just to try out. Mine is working well now. Thanks for your help!!!

Foot note: The RAQ plays much quicker than my old Alpine too. I used to have to wait for the truck and the discs to warm up before they would play at all. They play instantly with the RAQ!

Last edited by Gramps; 11-01-2006 at 06:40 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.