How To Change The Oil In THe Transfer Case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > How To Change The Oil In THe Transfer Case

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 09-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
bill-pat

How To Change The Oil In THe Transfer Case

I did a search but cannot find info on how to change the oil in the transfer case on my 2007 Patriot, is there a post on this?

Also Does anyone know what kind of oil I have to buy?

Thanks for any input.

bill-pat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-pat View Post
I did a search but cannot find info on how to change the oil in the transfer case on my 2007 Patriot, is there a post on this?

Also Does anyone know what kind of oil I have to buy?

Thanks for any input.
There is a drain plug and a fill plug. Fluid is GL5 80W90 conventional gear oil.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
bill-pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
There is a drain plug and a fill plug. Fluid is GL5 80W90 conventional gear oil.
Thanks for the info.

Do you know the best way to change it?
Getting the oil out don't seem to be too hard, it's getting the oil back in that has me concerned.
This is my first jeep and I have never done a transfer case before.
Any tips, tricks and advice are welcome.

Thanks again.
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
ronjr8102
2007 MK Compass 

I bought a pump that looks like the soap dispenser that goes on top of the bottle and fill the case until it dribbles out slowly. Also ALWAYS take out the fill plug first cuz if u drain it then can't get the fill plug out then ur screwed with an empty transfer case.
ronjr8102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
bill-pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjr8102 View Post
I bought a pump that looks like the soap dispenser that goes on top of the bottle and fill the case until it dribbles out slowly. Also ALWAYS take out the fill plug first cuz if u drain it then can't get the fill plug out then ur screwed with an empty transfer case.
Thanks for the tip
I am going to look for the pump thing.
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
bill-pat

I could not find the pump thing but I did find an eight ounce squeeze bottle that worked perfectly.

It fits into the available space easily and the oil is thick enough that you can turn the bottle over and insert the tip into the fill hole without spilling any.

You have to keep filling the squeeze bottle but at a buck a piece I suppose you can by 4 or 5 of them to make it easier.

Thanks again for the help.
squeezebtl.jpg  
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
ronjr8102
2007 MK Compass 

^Yeah that works too. Glad it worked out for u.
ronjr8102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.