How can I get these Blasted tail light guards to stick on??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > How can I get these Blasted tail light guards to stick on???

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

How can I get these Blasted tail light guards to stick on???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Posted for Echocat22 New Compass

Compass Sport 4x4, CVT, Steel Blue Metallic, Pastel Slate Gray Interior, Yes Essentials Seats, Preferred Package 26e (see below), Security and Cargo Convenience Group, Driver Convenience Group, 9 Speaker Premium Sound System, Heated Front Seats, Power Sunroof, Speed Control, RAQ Radio 6 Disc CD/MP3 Player, Full Size Spare, Outline White Letter All Terrain Tires.

Additional Accessories: Front, Sunroof, and Window Air Deflectors, Tail Lamp Guards, Splash Guards (front and rear), Floor Mats, also had them do the anti- theft labels.

Sport E Pkg. This package contains the following unique features:

Convenience/Security Options
- Power windows with driver's one-touch-down feature
- Power locks, speed-sensitive

Mirrors
- Power fold-away mirrors

Glasses
- Deep-tint sunscreen glass

Climate Control Options
- Air conditioning

Additional Options
- Auxiliary 115-volt power outlet
- Body-color liftgate appliqué
- Height-adjustable driver's seat
- Front passenger seat folds forward to create a flat load surface.
- Illuminated entry
- Interior removable/rechargeable lamp
- Keyless entry
- Map/dome reading lamps
- Passenger assist handles
- Rear 60/40 reclining and folding seat backs
- Rear passenger seat folds forward to create a flat load surface.
Any tips on how to get the tail lamp guards to stick on right? I have tried twice now and they won't adhere properly to the plastic lens. I have cleaned the lenses, removed the old mounting tape and bought the 3m heavy duty mounting tape. I will take any suggestions before I try again. The guards don't seem to lay flat over the lens they seem to have a twist to them, is this normal?
Any help is appreciated.
THanks
Wes

wesleyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

How can I get these Blasted tail light guards to stick on???

Any tips on how to get the tail lamp guards to stick on right? I bought the OEM ones from the dealership. The tape that came with it didn't stick, I have tried twice now and they won't adhere properly to the plastic lens. Each time I have cleaned the lenses, removed the old mounting tape and bought the 3m heavy duty mounting tape and still no luck. I will take any suggestions before I try again. The guards don't seem to lay flat over the lens they seem to have a twist to them, is this normal?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Wes
Unread 08-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyd View Post
Any tips on how to get the tail lamp guards to stick on right? I bought the OEM ones from the dealership. The tape that came with it didn't stick, I have tried twice now and they won't adhere properly to the plastic lens. Each time I have cleaned the lenses, removed the old mounting tape and bought the 3m heavy duty mounting tape and still no luck. I will take any suggestions before I try again. The guards don't seem to lay flat over the lens they seem to have a twist to them, is this normal?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Wes
I finally got them installed properly, the trick was the mounting tape had to be doubled up as the .045in stuff from 3m isn't thick enough.
Unread 08-04-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

hmm maybe you've got defective tail lamp guards? mine went right on the first time and I haven't had any problems with them sticking and it's been about a year now...

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent33 View Post
hmm maybe you've got defective tail lamp guards? mine went right on the first time and I haven't had any problems with them sticking and it's been about a year now...
I did in fact give the dealer a call and they replaced them free of charge!!! The guards where warped either through manufacturing or shipping and this is why they constantly pulled away from the lens and no amount of tape would hold them on. Also the chrome was flaking off these ones. Got the new set today and put them on (after some serious elbow grease removing all of the old adhesive) and they laid over the lenses much nicer than the first set I got. Never thought about defective ones but I guess it does happen.
Wes
Unread 08-17-2009, 05:38 AM   #6
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Cool glad it worked out - I love the way they look on my Jeep

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.