Honest opinion on a few items - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Honest opinion on a few items

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
ezzymo1024

Honest opinion on a few items

So I've got a 2007 Compass sport; FWD, 2.4 L; 5-speed box.

As it stands, it needs a few thousand worth of work done; struts front and back, tie rods, brakes front and back, and probably other front suspension components as well. Not mentioning tires because those are regular wear items.

Stupidly, I bought it used last year and because I was in a pretty tight spot financially I took out a loan on it.

I like the idea of taking my Compass off-road on some old logging roads and tracks at my families cottage, as Iíve done that already with someone elses, and a few JK Wranglers as well.

So my questions: should I keep it and make the necessary repairs? Would you trade it in against a newer 4wd Compass/Patriot with the Offroad II and use that as a starting point?

Iím only asking because I also want the Rocky Road suspension lift (or something as good), but Iím not entirely certain itís worth having on a front-wheel-drive Compass.

ezzymo1024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

I really can't see any reason to keep it with the type of driving you want to do. Look at a Patriot if you want to go off road, and definitely go 4x4. I don't know your financial situation, but dumping a ton of dough in a fwd Compass to off-road just doesn't make any sense to me. The patriot can be equipped with the trail rated package, but the Compass doesn't have the clearance without mods to hit the same trails. Of course this is just my personal opinion. We love our '08 Compass, and have had it off road with no problems, but it is 4x4.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
ezzymo1024

@jacko15 - I'm having similar thoughts, to say the least. Maybe I'll wait and pick up one of the last few 2014 Patriots. I'm sure when people see the replacement for the Pat-pass, the 2014 Patriots/Compass' will simply languish on dealer lots.
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

You can get a compass with off road package. I have it. Same set up as the patriot.
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

*meant trail rated package...1" higher, tow hooks, 140 amp salt, DRLs, Goodyear wranglers, low range, etc. Fd2 compass's are out there just gotta look
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
ezzymo1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehman26
*meant trail rated package...1" higher, tow hooks, 140 amp salt, DRLs, Goodyear wranglers, low range, etc. Fd2 compass's are out there just gotta look
You're right. Compass/Patriot with FDII are rare though. Most I've seen stop short of that option.
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

If you plan on actually going off road, its worth it, as you will always wish you had the extra capability.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
ezzymo1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles
If you plan on actually going off road, its worth it, as you will always wish you had the extra capability.
Completely agree. If I don't find an excellent used example I'm buying a new 2014.
Unread 07-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzymo1024 View Post

You're right. Compass/Patriot with FDII are rare though. Most I've seen stop short of that option.
Yea they definitely are pretty rare I settled for mine in silver with the options it had BC there were no others anywhere near. Would of preferred black but couldn't find one.
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Sarkus

FWIW, the newer Patriots (2011 and newer) have the same clearance no matter if they are FD1 or FD2. What you gain with the "Trail Rated" version is the low gearing, underside protection, etc but you pay for that in notably worse fuel economy. The FD1 Patriot, even the pre-'11 version, is still a reasonably capable off roader as well. No stock Patriot (or Compass) is going to compare to a Wrangler or a modded vehicle for off-roading, though. So it depends on how much capability you want and what else the vehicle needs to do on a regular basis.
Sarkus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.