Honest dealers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Honest dealers?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
umbra
2014 KL Cherokee 

Honest dealers?

Funny, huh?

I've decided on a new Patriot for various reasons.

I've had a Cherokee and a Wrangler, but I bought them both used. Being a tad more financially stable nowadays ( I no longer spend as much on important stuff, like cover charges and chicken wings) I thought I'd spring for a new jeep for the first time in 20 odd years.

I went to the Jeep site where I "built and priced" a black Latitude FWD with the 2.4l and manual transmission.

MSRP according to Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep...you know, the M in MSRP: $19,985 not including tax, title etc. etc. Within my budget...YAY!!

So the site then directs me to similar models being sold by Jeep dealers in my area.

Exact match at Stickenittoya Chrysler Jeep? MSRP: $25,160
Exact match at Bendyaover Dodge Chrysler: MSRP $23,565
Medium match at Howdumareya Chrysler Fiat: MSRP $24,750

All saying price "doesn't include tax title etc" and already includes rebates and incentives.

I get it, dealers gotta make a living. But, jeeeeezz. $3500 to $5000 mark ups above the ACTUAL manufacturer suggested retail on what is supposed to be the "most affordable SUV in America"

I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, but even to a dummy like me that seems ludicrous.
I haven't bought a new car in a long time, and I am aware that dealers can be a little...uh...ethically challenged at times, but COME ON!

You'd think they would at least assume that some of their potential customers might be smart enough to figure this out and price accordingly.

I've searched dealers up to 100 miles away from here, and they all have the same price range, except for one who seems a little less insane, but not much.

So what am I missing? Am I just REALLY na´ve to expect the manufacturer and the dealer to at least be on the same page with their "spin" on the MSRP? Are they selling so many that we are clamoring at the door begging them to take our money a la Shelby Cobra and Corvette ZO 6?

Is there a new magical mystery 5000 fee instituted on new cars since I last bought one? I expect to pay destination charges and all of the other stupid little add ons they make up, but I assume that Jeep builds in a certain amount of profit for the dealer in the actual MSRP, right?

What's the going rate for a Patriot Latitude around ya'll?

umbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Here's my dealer:
http://www.garymillerchryslerjeep.co...&SBprice=clear
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
umbra
2014 KL Cherokee 

Wow. See, I knew it.

Your guy is MUCH closer to Jeeps MSRP. Thanks.

PS...Just went through Pennsylvania Friday night. I thought I knew what a snowplow looked like until I followed a real one on I-78 during that blizzard that came through. Those guys don't mess around.
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

"Exact-match" is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to the Jeep site. It only looks at the Sub-model, drivetrain options (engine, FWD/4WD, etc.), and color, it does not take into account the various option packages available, if you check the window-stickers of these "Exact-matches" you will probably find that they have additional options/packages that you did not select.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
umbra
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
"Exact-match" is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to the Jeep site. It only looks at the Sub-model, drivetrain options (engine, FWD/4WD, etc.), and color, it does not take into account the various option packages available, if you check the window-stickers of these "Exact-matches" you will probably find that they have additional options/packages that you did not select.
Hmmm. Didn't notice any $3,500-$5,000 options available.
Unread 02-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

umbra, you're not quite getting it. the jeeps that you see listed at $23k-$25k are jeeps with several options on them. it's not that these cars have several thousand dollars of markup in them, quite the opposite. I recall my compass latitude having less than $500 in markup. the jeeps that you are seeing are most likely latitude or limited models, with equipment on it you don't want.

why not just stop by your local dealer, tell them what you want, and what you can afford? they should be able to direct you into an appropriate package and model that fits your needs and your budget. after all, that's what we're here for!

(<-- current car salesman)
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
umbra
2014 KL Cherokee 

Maybe I wasn't clear. I is dum that way sometimes.

The Patriot that I "built and priced" on the Jeep website WAS a Latitude Package ($20,495). The only change I made to the latitude package was to add the 2.4 l engine. (+$495).
With Jeep incentives...subtract $2000....$18990. Add $995 destination charge...final manufacturer price...19985

The Jeep site even goes as far as to add in my down payment and advise me that I would be only financing $16,266

So, since I don't get, can you tell me where the extra 3500-5000 bucks is coming from on the Latitudes here at the local dealers?
Unread 02-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Redpine
2014 MK Patriot 

Which dealers websites did you find a Latitude with a manual transmission??

I plugged in Sleepy Hollow (NY??) zip code and came up with about 5 dealers in that area.

I went to each dealer, followed the link: new vehicle/plug in Patriot specs/click on "view details"/ click on VIEW WINDOW STICKER.

I could not find ANY Latitudes with a manual transmission. COULD YOU PLEASE LIST THE ACTUAL DEALER NAMES YOU REFERENCED IN YOUR ORIGINAL POST.

I'm gonna make a wild guess that your prices are for automatic trannies and additional options.

EDIT: O.K., I found your problem.....At the JEEP home website, when you build your vehicle and then go to the list that "matches"...... "view inventory", then "view vehicle" the info is incorrect. regarding powertrain (manual). Click on one of your selections there to "go to the dealer" and you will see that the dealer's website shows all of those to be with automatic transmission. YOU NEED TO LEAVE THE JEEP WEBSITE AND GO TO THE ACTUAL DEALER'S WEBSITE.

It is rather misleading. When the initial "matching" inventory list shows up, at the top it states "NO EXACT MATCH FOUND....."

Last edited by Redpine; 02-17-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Redpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #9
umbra
2014 KL Cherokee 

I have gone to the dealers websites numerous times. I have called a dealer. A lady I spoke to had no explanation for the difference in prices, only kept telling me that I should come in to the dealership. She spoke for 10 minutes and never answered my question. A gentleman at another dealership mumbled about "the surcharges" and then guaranteed me they had the lowest prices in the area, and told me to come in to the dealership.

I must correct myself, none of the dealerships had an "exact" match.... 4 of them had a "high match".

Adding a 6 speed auto tranny would only add $1385.
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
Redpine
2014 MK Patriot 

When you go to the dealer's website, there is a link at the right for the particular vehicle where you can bring up the window sticker. That will show all of the details.

http://www.teterborochryslerjeep.net...3a1a009edd.htm

Base msrp is 20,195. As is price is 24,730

Again, what dealer did you find a 2.4 Latitude with manual transmission????

Here's the exact Pat on the JEEP website....click view vehicle and it will indicate it has a manual tranny. (the top, first Pat)
http://www.jeep.com/hostc/sni/IUJ201...D7,Z1A,ED3,PS2 so called "high match"

Last edited by Redpine; 02-17-2014 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: added links
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
umbra
2014 KL Cherokee 

I appreciate the effort sir.
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
Redpine
2014 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbra View Post
I appreciate the effort sir.
I found it difficult to explain. Did you discover the answer?

Viewing the "high/medium match" vehicle details through the JEEP website will indicate the vehicle has a manual with no extras.

When you view the actual vehicle at the dealer's website (especially the window sticker), then the truth comes out.

I think this happened to me when I searched for a Sport model last spring with only 2.4 engine and air conditioning. I had to order it.
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
umbra
2014 KL Cherokee 

The answer is that the dealers are jacking up the price for these Jeeps by 3500-5000 smackers and claiming it's "MSRP"

The dealer in Penn. that Jacko posted is selling comparable Patriots 2-4000 cheaper than the dealers here. (Northern Ky area-Sleepy Hollow is a play on "Umbra")

I intend to go in to a dealer this week and fully expect them to "discount" anything I look at by 3500, then tell me what a great deal I'm getting.

I'll probably end up ordering as well since I can't really find EXACTLY what I'm looking for, for what I'm willing to pay. Hell, I'll just stop in Penn. next time I'm through there if necessary.
Unread 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
The answer is that the dealers are jacking up the price for these Jeeps by 3500-5000 smackers and claiming it's "MSRP"

The dealer in Penn. that Jacko posted is selling comparable Patriots 2-4000 cheaper than the dealers here. (Northern Ky area-Sleepy Hollow is a play on "Umbra")

I intend to go in to a dealer this week and fully expect them to "discount" anything I look at by 3500, then tell me what a great deal I'm getting.

I'll probably end up ordering as well since I can't really find EXACTLY what I'm looking for, for what I'm willing to pay. Hell, I'll just stop in Penn. next time I'm through there if necessary.
no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no! that's not the answer. do you seriously believe that dealers could get away with that? come on, now.

the ones that you're finding in the $24k range have additional equipment on them bringing the price up. my latitude was over $26,000 in the MSRP. it has the security & cargo group, sun/sound, 4x4, automatic transmission, and the 430 radio. jeep's website is simply bad at finding vehicles that are an exact match to what you're looking for, probably because what you configured (a 4x2 stick shift latitude) is very hard to find. do you understand now??

it's Ludacris to think that the dealers are marking their cars UP $4,000 in today's competitive market.

EDIT: OP, to prove my point, here's what I want you to do. go to jeep's website, and do exactly what you did before where it showed you cars that were in the $24k-$25k range. this time, I want you to post the link to that page. i'll do the rest.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #15
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As long as you don't go to that specific PA dealer, they are terrible.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.