JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Hitch wiring for 2013 Compass (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/hitch-wiring-2013-compass-1543644/)

Vbpiper 07-01-2013 02:50 PM

Hitch wiring for 2013 Compass

First Jeep forum post.
We are the proud new owners of a 2013 Compass Sport (our first Jeep!) and are about to install a hitch and wiring. On other threads, there is mention of a power wire behind a grommet under the driver's side tail light on a Patriot. I am wondering if anyone has installed a wiring harness in a recent Compass and can confirm the presence of this wire. I would like to avoid having to run a wire under the vehicle up to the engine compartment if possible.
We have ordered a Curt 2" hitch and the T-One Compass harness, and the install looks pretty straightforward except for this wire.
Any help would be much appreciated.

NHPATRIOT 07-01-2013 05:16 PM

Pull the driver's tail light, pull the grommet in the cargo sidewall, and just look to see if it is there. Should take you all of 2 minutes. Just be sure you have a panel clip tool to get the tail light out. You really need it for the clips that hold it in or you trash them getting them out.

Vbpiper 07-01-2013 07:44 PM

Thanks, NH.

Vbpiper 07-05-2013 08:03 PM

It's there

I removed the left tail light and the rubber grommet, and there is red wire taped to the harness, with a grey connector on it. My plan is to use a tap splice on that wire to power the new harness and keep the factory connector intact. Looks to be about a 16 gauge wire.
NHPatriot-I must be slow. It took a full 2 minutes and 15 seconds :D
Thanks.

Vbpiper 07-10-2013 10:35 PM

Got the hitch wiring done tonight. Used the TowReady T-one harness from etrailer. Easy install per the directions, but I made two changes. As mentioned earlier, there is the power wire under the rubber grommet on the driver's side. I used a tap splice to connect the power from there to the harness. Much easier than running a wire up to the battery, and still kept the gray factory connector intact in case it is ever needed in the future.
Also, the directions call for running a green wire under the vehicle from the left side to the right side tail light compartments. I was not excited about having that wire under the car, so I ran a stiff fish wire from just inside the tailgate opening in the cargo area outward toward the left tail light area. It pokes through into the tail light compartment. Then I cut the green wire that is connected to the harness on the left (driver) side, taped it to the fish wire, and pulled it through to the cargo area. Same procedure on the passenger side, then just used a heat shrink butt splice to reconnect the two ends of the green wire, and tucked it under the trim. A convoluted description, but I think a much more pleasing result.

The time now is 05:46 PM.