Hit a pothole - instrument lights stay on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Hit a pothole - instrument lights stay on

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 05-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
pillzny

Hit a pothole - instrument lights stay on

I hit a massive pothole on the highway last weekend which stopped all conversation in the truck.

As a result, my alignment is obviosly off since the steering wheel's left when i'm going straight but my concern is, the skid light and ESP light stay on at all times now.

Any ideas anyone? Just trying to have an idea of what to expect. I would of loved to bring it to a local shop to get the inspection done but I think Jeep would be a better decision... just worried about the bill

pillzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Shirai_Ryu

Both the compass & patriot should have steering angle/YAW sensors, in all likelyhood performing an alignent should also take care of the lights.
Shirai_Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
merlinTec

Hi
I would second this, the lateral and yaw sensor will be saying you are going straight but the steering angle senor will say you are turning so flags a fault.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 05-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
schoat333
2008 MK Patriot 

If your steering wheel is that far off you may have bent a tie rod or control arm. I agree tho the yaw sensor is sensing the car is not tracking properly so the computer has shut down the ESP which is why the lights are on.
schoat333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
pillzny

I just took a sigh of relief... I of course wont hold you guys to anything but it makes sense.

The wheel is not turned to point where I would be making a UTurn but is obviously off center. Hopefully it's an alignment and not a rod for my pocket's sake but I'll let you guys know.

Thanks
Unread 05-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
pillzny

So I got the alignment done and no dice... The ESP BAS and the skid lights still remain on. Any suggestions?

UPDATE

The lights went off after driving around a little.

Thanks for the info guys

Last edited by pillzny; 05-23-2008 at 03:36 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.