High Speed Shake/ Outer Tire Wear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > High Speed Shake/ Outer Tire Wear

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
EmPat

High Speed Shake/ Outer Tire Wear

Hi everyone, I'm new here and have a couple questions about my sister in laws 08 Patriot. I don't know much, other that what she has told me, which is as follows:

She says at highway speeds, the vehicle shakes pretty bad, and she's gone through 2 sets of front tires in the past year. It drives straight with no pull to either side, yet the front tires are wearing on the outer edges. She also says she hears "noise from the tires". The Jeep garage gave her a ridiculous estimate, and said she needs control arms, ball joints, wheel bearings(front and back), and a few other things that I can't remember.

I'm most concerned with the shaking at highway speeds. I've been told by others that bad tie rods will cause shaking at higher speeds, and ball joints could cause the outer edge wear on the tires?? Also, the "tire noise" she hears, I'm guessing is wheel bearings? I'm new to "new" vehicles, and was just looking for advice before I start ripping it apart. I haven't had the chance to drive it myself yet, so I'm not 100% on what exactly its doing. I hope to check it out tonight. Any advice on common issues with the Patriot's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

EmPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ball joints will for sure cause abnormal tire wear.

Ball joints are a common issue in the Patriot/Compass line and dealer wise they will replace the entire control arm. Moog makes replacement ball joints to cut the cost on a DIY repair.

It is possible the bad ball joints caused premature wear on the tie rods and wheel bearings.

Unfortunately the Patriot is a nice vehicle with a terrible quality suspension.
Unread 06-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
EmPat

Thanks for the info...how hard is the diy balljoint job? I've done uppers and lowers on older vehicles, but never anything this new. Anyone maybe have a diagram of the job? Thanks again
Unread 06-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's not bad, jack up and support the whole front end, remove wheels, disconnect the lower sway bar bolt, unbolt the ball joint pinch bolt, remove the LCA bolts, pry out the ball joint. Be aware that you could pull out the cv shaft accidentally, it will slide right back in. To avoid this you could rent a spring compressor and compress the springs slightly to take the load off.

Rent the ball joint press and you'll need a set of snap ring pliers to secure the new joint and a socket or pvc pipe length large enough to press on the dust covers. Not an overly hard job but time consuming, I would recommend replacing the sway bar links and bushing while you're in there too and of course get an alignment done soon afterwards.
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

There are some DYI guides here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/q...5/#post6282244

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
EmPat

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll be able to get to it this weekend sometime. She works ALOT so who knows. Thanks again

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.