High Pitched Whistle/Whine At 30mph - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > High Pitched Whistle/Whine At 30mph

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 10-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

+1 for Maximum Care + Service Contract.

FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
ZHall7218
2013 MK Compass 

Similar Problem: "Whistling" Sound When Accelerating

I hope that I'm not too late to join this thread as I appear to have a similar problem with my 2013 Jeep Compass.

It currently has 3000 miles. Approximately 2 months ago, we noticed a 'whistling' sound while accelerating between 15-40mph. It is extremely annoying and we've been back to the Jeep dealer whom we bought it from several times. They assured us that the sound was 'normal' due to the CVT transmission. I've asked why the sound was NOT present when we purchased the vehicle and they assured us that it was due to the car 'settling in' and it having more miles on it. I have test driven several of the same dealer's 2013 Jeep Compasses and none have had the same whistling sound. All of their explanations and reasons for the whistling have been very vague and leads me to not believe what they are telling me.

After my last visit with the dealer, they recommended that I call Chrysler's customer service - which I did. They explained that they had NEVER heard this complaint before and that there was nothing that they could really do. They suggested that I get a 2nd opinion from a different Jeep dealership - which I did.

After visiting a 2nd Jeep dealership, they confirmed that they heard the same noise but that the sound was NOT normal. But because they cannot recreate the sound when the vehicle is sitting idle in the factory, that they could not identify much less repair the sound. Their only suggested was to drive the Jeep more miles and wait to see if the sound 'disappears by itself' or 'gets worse'.

Now, it appears that I'm left with literally no alternatives to have the whistling corrected OR even a correct diagnosis as to what it is because the 2 Jeep dealerships are telling me the exact opposite thing.

I've also been told:
the transmission is fine
fluid levels are fine
no other seals, tubes, or vacuum system(s) have been jeopardized.

I would GREATLY appreciate anyone's feedback and suggestion with this. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
ZHall7218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
millward137

Just had this happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHall7218 View Post
I hope that I'm not too late to join this thread as I appear to have a similar problem with my 2013 Jeep Compass.

It currently has 3000 miles. Approximately 2 months ago, we noticed a 'whistling' sound while accelerating between 15-40mph. It is extremely annoying and we've been back to the Jeep dealer whom we bought it from several times. They assured us that the sound was 'normal' due to the CVT transmission. I've asked why the sound was NOT present when we purchased the vehicle and they assured us that it was due to the car 'settling in' and it having more miles on it. I have test driven several of the same dealer's 2013 Jeep Compasses and none have had the same whistling sound. All of their explanations and reasons for the whistling have been very vague and leads me to not believe what they are telling me.

After my last visit with the dealer, they recommended that I call Chrysler's customer service - which I did. They explained that they had NEVER heard this complaint before and that there was nothing that they could really do. They suggested that I get a 2nd opinion from a different Jeep dealership - which I did.

After visiting a 2nd Jeep dealership, they confirmed that they heard the same noise but that the sound was NOT normal. But because they cannot recreate the sound when the vehicle is sitting idle in the factory, that they could not identify much less repair the sound. Their only suggested was to drive the Jeep more miles and wait to see if the sound 'disappears by itself' or 'gets worse'.

Now, it appears that I'm left with literally no alternatives to have the whistling corrected OR even a correct diagnosis as to what it is because the 2 Jeep dealerships are telling me the exact opposite thing.

I've also been told:
• the transmission is fine
• fluid levels are fine
• no other seals, tubes, or vacuum system(s) have been jeopardized.

I would GREATLY appreciate anyone's feedback and suggestion with this. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Hey ZHall7218 - I just went through this with my 2012 Jeep Patriot, CVT, 4cyl, 15k miles. It would get a high pitched whinning noise usually when going up a hill with higher RPM's but it was kind of random. I heard this in the very beginning just like you, took it in and they couldn't "replicate" it so they said nothing was wrong. Nothing was wrong for a while UNTIL a bunch of stuff started to go wrong. Just a month ago we took a trip to California, on the way there the car overheated, power shut off and we sat there in Vegas for a good 30 minutes trying to figure it out... it's a 2012 it shouldn't overheat. We literally had to turn the heater on and drive like that for while, piece of junk. Then when the whining started it was lose power, gas mileage went down, on the hwy I think we only got about 18 or so, crappy for a 4cyl. On the way back from CA it overheated again... it was 85 outside... no reason for that... the noise persisted. No check engine light just the overheat light. I took it in right when we got home and pretty much told them I'm not taking the car back until they fix the issue... I thought it was the CVT... they didn't think so, finally they were able to replicate the issue and what do you know, it was the CVT. I also demanded a loaner car which they finally gave me after fighting with them for a week. I just got my car back last Tuesday, took a trip to St George, on the way down it hummed... 21 mpg (better than usual), no issues, no whines, no overheating (got up to 106)... worked like a jem. Then on the way back... the whining came right back... didn't overheat just yet, no loss of power but that will follow if the whining continues, guaranteed.

I already reached out to the dealer about the issue again, actually earlier today. Told them what was going on, asked to get Chrysler involved to figure this out asap.

Moral of the story, if it doesn't sound right, something is wrong. Do not let them tell you everything is fine.. if they can't replicate it, then get in the car with them and drive it hard until you get the sound to come back. Drop it off and demand they fix the issue. Get Chrysler involved as well, not that they are much help but it presses them more to figure out what is wrong. The earlier you jump on the issue the better. If I had known what I did at the 3k mileage mark when my car started to whine I think things would have turned out differently. Also, check the Sale of Goods Act 1979, I think it may be specific to each state, or check your state's lemon law. I would jump on that asap.

FYI, all of this was under warranty, not a dime came out of my pocket for anything.

Good luck.

Last edited by millward137; 07-08-2013 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Wasn't finished
millward137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
ZHall7218
2013 MK Compass 

Thanks, millward137

Thanks for your reply. I was almost hoping that it was normal rather than go through more aggravation with the dealer. Your story is GREATLY appreciated! I'll post the outcome...
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
ZHall7218
2013 MK Compass 

Follow up....

Millward137 - how loud was your whistling sound? The sound that mine makes is somewhat faint but very noticeable to me since I drive it the most. It also seems to be more detectable from the driver side. It's not extremely loud and my wife didn't notice it until I pointed it out. She seldom rides in the car.
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
taylor2384
2011 MK Patriot 

I am dealing with the exact same problem on my 2011 with 73,000 miles on it. The dealer is doing some flash updates (one of them they say isn't covered under my ext warranty) and hope that's it. I'm sure I'll be back after it strands me on the highway again. This is making me want to buy other than Jeep.
taylor2384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #22
taylor2384
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor2384
I am dealing with the exact same problem on my 2011 with 73,000 miles on it. The dealer is doing some flash updates (one of them they say isn't covered under my ext warranty) and hope that's it. I'm sure I'll be back after it strands me on the highway again. This is making me want to buy other than Jeep.
Got my Pat back yesterday and its driving like it used to. Unresponsive and whining after about 15 miles especially on a hot day. But at least it drives. Probably going to look into another vehicle very soon.
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #23
patriotldale

Having the same issue with my 2011 Jeep Patriot. It has overheated many times on the highway and I have had to pull over on the side of a busy highway and wait for it to cool down. Jeep has not been helpful at all about it. I was at 55,000 miles, and they insisted I get a trans flush which cost $300. I argued relentlessly about the fact that I should not have to pay because it was not technically due yet and I am still under warranty. Long story short, there was no other option. I had it done, and am STILL having issues with it overheating/whining/losing power. At first the dealership and Jeep Star said that they had never heard of this issue before, and today they told me to reference my owners manual which states: "During sustained high speed driving or trailer towing (which I have never done) up long grades on hot days, the automatic transmission oil may become too hot. If this happens, the transmission overheat indicator light will come on, and the vehicle will slow slightly until the automatic transmission cools down enough to allow a return to the requested speed. If the high speed is maintained, the overheating may reoccur, as before, in a cyclic fashion." ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The owners manual admits to a transmission flaw. Sorry I didn't read page 381 of the owners manual before making the purchase. They are saying there is nothing they can do even though I am terrified to drive my car on the highway.
patriotldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
taylor2384
2011 MK Patriot 

Update on my transmission issue. The dealer just called me and said he was working with Chrysler on the issue and their recommendation is to flush the transmission that has 80k on it. He said 'you're supposed to do it at 60k'. Yeah if you're under extreme conditions which I'm not, (not using it as a taxi, no hitch so no towing) just every day driving on the highway. So they want $400 to do that which is BS!!! I understand the fluid is expensive but they don't even know if this will fix the problem!! Why would I pay $400 to do something that is not scheduled yet and may not fix the problem?! That's the reason I purchased an extended warranty!!!!
Unread 11-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #25
AiminJax

I am possibly having the same problem and haven't taken it in to the dealer yet. Had someone else look at it today but said the dealer has to uncode something in order for them to get to diagnose the problem. Mine only whines at high speeds, like over 60 on the highway. It doesn't overheat, that I can tell, and no light comes on. But, it's only been doing it for a few months, not the entire year I've had it. I would say I'm at about 60,000 miles, though. Wondered what anyone's thoughts are?
Amy in Jacksonville FL
AiminJax is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.