JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   High Pitched Whistle/Whine At 30mph (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/high-pitched-whistle-whine-30mph-1275719/)

bill-pat 10-11-2011 03:06 PM

High Pitched Whistle/Whine At 30mph

I get a high pitched whine when I hit 30 mph.
It only whines when it is under load.
As soon as I take my foot off the gas the whine goes away but comes back as soon as I start to accelerate again.

I am driving a 2007 Patriot Sport with 44,000 miles on it (70,000kms)

Anyone have any idea what it could be?
Any information is much appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance.

Gramps 10-12-2011 10:56 AM

CVT, 5 Speed, front, rear, engine compartment, vacumm leak? Sorry, not enough info.

Gramps 10-13-2011 08:44 AM

Also check the serpentine belt http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/s...moval-1020484/ if that the area the noise is coming from.

bill-pat 10-13-2011 01:24 PM

Sorry for the long delay in responding.

It's a CVT and the noise appears to be coming from under the center of the jeep.

It a bit intermittent.

I checked the oil in the PTU and the RDA and they are filled properly.
I also check the CVT and it is within it's baseline measurements as I established about a year ago.

There is no driveline lash either.

The belts seem to be fine on inspection and deflect properly. When I put it in neutral and rev it high I get no unusually noises.

I am thinking it may be somethings up with the tires.

How do I check for vacuum leaks?

Thanks for answering :)

Gramps 10-13-2011 03:13 PM

Vacuum leaks will normally be a constant whistling sound. You can spray around hose fittings/connections with carb clears that will seal them and you'll normally pick up some RPM when they seal up.

In reality, I don't think that's your problem with it being intermittent, but I am at a loss for ideas.

bill-pat 10-13-2011 07:49 PM

Hey Gramps

Thanks for the input. :)

I'm going to check out the hoses and fittings and clean them up a bit with some throttle body cleaner I have.

Maybe that will help.

Thanks again.

Gramps 10-13-2011 09:29 PM

Let me throw out one more (I hate to give up). Maybe it's an air intake or air movement just the other side of the firewall from the air filter cover or engine cover? Fan speed, road speed, harmonics just at the right time to produce that noise?

Atlas 10-13-2011 10:33 PM

Could be transmission whine, change the tranny fluid lately? If you haven't, may want to...if you have, they may have put the wrong kind in.

bill-pat 10-16-2012 11:15 PM

Sorry for bumping such an old thread.....

I just want to post the resolution to this "High Pitched Whistle/Whine At 30mph"

And the winner is.....

PREMATURE CVT FAILURE :laugh: (like all the rest of 'em)

Had it replaced under guarantee.

After it was replaced my transfer case was leaking like a sieve.
Turns out the dealer techs broke the seals on the outer transfer case cover and I had to go back and have that replaced a few weeks later.
The entire cover was replaced along with the seals.

When you get work done at the dealership drop that skid plate and looks for leaks and shoddy workmanship.
Remember, the dealer has no vested interest in fixing your car properly.

mmdambro 10-17-2012 07:37 AM

I'm already tired of my CVT

FujativeOCR 10-17-2012 10:37 AM

^they are headache inducing

FujativeOCR 10-17-2012 11:34 AM

It's amazing how many of these fail with so few miles. And to think they don't even suggest changing the oil until 60+k and only if used under extreme conditions.

Gramps 10-17-2012 05:10 PM

The CVT troubles just started happening of late. Much more than the earlier days but then they just started getting the mileage on them. For the brief 3 weeks that I worked at a dealership the head guy who worked on these said that the fluid change really wasn't necessary. It certainly does sound like cheep insurance.

FujativeOCR 10-17-2012 05:14 PM

I wonder if the CVT2L will be more prone to failure than the standard. Since it spins faster 100% of the time.

Gramps 10-17-2012 05:31 PM

For the same mileage the FD II will have put on more engine, transaxle revolutions than the FD I. Could it be more prone to 'early life failure' I'd say yes. Or at least a shorter life expectancy, it does make sence.

The time now is 10:04 AM.