High Mileage/General update - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > High Mileage/General update

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #31
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Wanted to reply. I see some other Compass owners have lots of miles adding up! Thought I was setting the pace! I currently have 185,000mi on my Jeep Compass. It's a 5-speed it's going strong.
At 180,000 mi I changed the transmission fluid. I changed it at every 60k mi interval. I put Royal Purple sychromax in this time. I, just two weeks ago, had new state inspection done at the dealership. It didn't need anything. I had it in for an alignment it was pulling to the left.
Anyways the trany fluid seems to help MPG's. Im running Goodyear Comfort tread tires in a 235/55/18. I'm driving almost only highway and I seldom am averaging less then 30 MPG. I just looked yesterday my computer said exactly 32.0. It dropped some. Sitting in drive way it says 31.7 right now!
Really no problems for a long time now, but I got one problem creeping up. I think the A/C compressor or a A/C compressor bearing is failing. I can here a whine coming from the engine bay. Had dealer look at while getting alignment done. Can't pin it down. Sounds like a pulley or bearing. Believe to be A/C because when compressor is running it is more pronouced.

Jeep Compass Limited
5-speed manual
4x2 FWD

Last edited by cuemark8; 07-15-2012 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: grammar
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #32
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thx cuemark for the update. I had to look up what you've got. You're FWD 5 speed should be be getting the best mpg possible but you have gone past the expectations. I'm impressed!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #33
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Well Gramps. I don't know how I do it. I'm smooth with the throotle. At highway speeds I just run the speed limit and use cruise alot. I live in a very rural area. It's all back roads mostly to the local market or gas station. So speeds are slow. As far as my work and my travels, I really never am in city traffic all that much. Yeah I go to supermarket and mall and Wal-mart. But really all those places are really just off the major highway exits. Easy in easy out. Not much stop and go traffic. Unless I'm setting idiling in alot of traffic or running the vehicle hard or letting it idlw warming up when cold. I seldom get less than 30 MPG. My window sticker says 27 and 30 MPG.
Yeah it's the best combination( 5speed FWD). I use all sythetic fluids. The tires are suppose to be the Low Rolling Restisance(LLR). I don't how much difference they make.
In winter my economy drops some. Mostly because I let it warm up in the driveway before I leave. Still though never less than about 28MPG average. Which is "normal" range.
On a vacation last year. I left Pennsylvania to drive to SkyLine drive in Virgina. I topped off on gas close to the house and set the trip computer.Almost all inter-state highway. SkyLine drive is 105mi. Of twisting turning roads. The speed limit is 35MPH. From home to there and driving other places. I drove 404mi before filling up again. My best ever!

I really need to get a pic or two to this site. At 185,000mi , it still looks as good as it drives. Except for some rust starting to show right around the rear license plate. You'll have those things though.

Last edited by cuemark8; 07-15-2012 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: grammar
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #34
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I can get up to 26 if Im driving strictly in the 40-50 mph range. Do you guys think using the block heater would improve fuel economy? I have one but rately plug in. Maybe it'll help it run leaner in the morning?
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #35
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Please check out the Sticky of the Jeep Compass pictures. I finally got around to posting 5 pictures of my vehicle after about 4yrs. of saying I was going to do it.
Note the total miles and MPG's!

Last edited by cuemark8; 07-15-2012 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: add
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #36
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

Well, I guess I have to officially pull my self out of the "high mileage" club since I just took a new job and I'll be driving less than 30 miles a day now. So my '09 that has 136,000 will not be seeing 137,000 for a long time.

I too have the FWD 5spd but I've never gotten 30mpg. I typically get 25 to 28. However, I drive mainly highway at 75mph. I'm sure if I was running at 55 to 60 I could probably hit 30mpg. So far I have not had to do a single repair. (there's no knock on wood emoticon so imagine one here) I do need new rotors and brake pads but I just haven't gotten around to that yet. So far it's been a good run and I am still very happy.
The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests - Patrick Henry
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #37
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

How many miles?

Ok. I'm just curious to see how everyone who owns a Jeep Compass how they are holding up. It's been awhile since I posted. I cntinue to drive my Compass evryday. I considered trading it in. I have some good offers or a new vehicle.
But anyways, it keeps running strong. I have had no issues with anything at all for a very long time. I just do the maintainence on it and it keeps going.
I now have 207,900 mi. right now on it. I did just put a new set of winter tires on it.

This thing has been amazing to me. I have no really major expenses with this vehicle. Other than routine maintainence, I have had to replace the thottle position sensor, ball joints at about 50k mi. , and the inake mainfold. The most expensive repair being about $485.

I still get better than window sticker fuel mileage. It's 5-speed FWD limited. I average usually no less then 29 mpg ever. Usually almost always it hovers around 30.4 to 31.0 average. 207,900 mi I have only ever put brakes on it once. Current brakes are actually in good shape and looking like they will outlast the factory set.

I'll will get a current pic of it up here soon.
Unread 12-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #38
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Lucky!
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #39
nsi31

well......150,000 and still going strong.......2008 COMPASS
nsi31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #40
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

My 2008 Compass is only at 140,000 miles. Get between 24 and 26mpg rural driving.

Rusting on rear passenger fender.

Has a few more squeaks and rattles but still gets the job done.
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #41
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

Going strong to 148,000 then.......

Well I got to 148,000 with only a set of brakes, and tie rods. Then BAM, got kicked in the with a bad TIPM. That pretty much sucked. Stealership got me for $1000.00. It of course broke down in a parking lot when I was out of town traveling for work so I did not know where else to take it.

Well hopefully I get another 148,000 before having to bite that bullet again. Before that I was very happy. I am sure I will be happy again once the sting to the wallet wears off.
The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests - Patrick Henry
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #42
SweetSue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledge
Well I got to 148,000 with only a set of brakes, and tie rods. Then BAM, got kicked in the with a bad TIPM. That pretty much sucked. Stealership got me for $1000.00. It of course broke down in a parking lot when I was out of town traveling for work so I did not know where else to take it.

Well hopefully I get another 148,000 before having to bite that bullet again. Before that I was very happy. I am sure I will be happy again once the sting to the wallet wears off.
Hey everyone,
Wow thought I had good mileage, but I'm no where near you all! I have a 2007 compass CVT, automatic 4x4 sport. Has 106,000 miles no major problems, replaced both ball joints at 62k and just replaced the right one again today. Left is still good. These Pennsylvania roads seem to beat up the right side of your car. Only replaced front brakes once. It's starting to creak a bit more after this last winter but still running smooth and strong.

Only issue I've been having is when I press on the breaks when going down hill, the break pedal pulses and the steering wheel sometimes too. Stops good and strong. They tell me it's the antilock breaks on jeeps so not to worry. But it never did it until the last year or so. My friends jeep does the same. So not really worried but would like to hear of anyone's experience with this.

Oh and the side panels on the seats (when you get in and out) pretty much broke down the first year and are now just kind of flapping. Any way to repair these???

Take Care,
Sue
SweetSue62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #43
Sarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSue62 View Post
Hey everyone,
Wow thought I had good mileage, but I'm no where near you all! I have a 2007 compass CVT, automatic 4x4 sport. Has 106,000 miles no major problems, replaced both ball joints at 62k and just replaced the right one again today. Left is still good. These Pennsylvania roads seem to beat up the right side of your car. Only replaced front brakes once. It's starting to creak a bit more after this last winter but still running smooth and strong.

Only issue I've been having is when I press on the breaks when going down hill, the break pedal pulses and the steering wheel sometimes too. Stops good and strong. They tell me it's the antilock breaks on jeeps so not to worry. But it never did it until the last year or so. My friends jeep does the same. So not really worried but would like to hear of anyone's experience with this.

Oh and the side panels on the seats (when you get in and out) pretty much broke down the first year and are now just kind of flapping. Any way to repair these???

Take Care,
Sue
Pulsing when applying brakes is usually a sign of warped brake rotors. A shop can usually fix that, but they may come back pretty quickly. It doesn't hurt anything as long as the brakes are still working fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sarkus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #44
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Quickly approaching a quarter-million miles

I am back with a high mileage update.

Yes, you read that correctly. Within the next couple of weeks, I should surpass the 250,000mi milestone with my vehicle.

Should there be anything I might want to consider servicing or changing? Out of the ordinary.

It hasn't been to any garage since 229,000mi. At that time it had a required state inspection done and tires rotated. It needed front brakes which I knew it needed.

I changed the coolant once. I plan on doing that at 250K again. I have never changed the thermostat.
Also I've never changed fuel pump/filter ever.
Alternator and waterpump have never been changed or serviced either. Should I be concerned about any of these?

Transmission is a 5-speed manual. I change fluid every 60,000mi. Im actually overdue by my standards, I'll do it at 250K with coolant flush.

Got to say since last Winter I have have had no issues with my Jeep Compass. No troubles codes, no check engine lights, Nothing!

The rear brakes are about shot. I keep milking them. So far I have only replaced the rear brakes once ever.
At 229,000mi. That was 2nd time for front brakes.

A couple of concerns though, when I accelerate modestly. I hear a whistle or squeal like a bearing. I don't think it is a belt.
If I accelerate hard. I don't hear it.
Also I hear it as the engine is starting to work harder as when I start to pull a hill.
I was told It may be a vacuum leak. Any ideas? RPM doesn't seem to affect the sound. It seems more based on engine demand. Seems plausible for me it could be a vacuum leak.

I'm also soon do for yet another set of tires. I don't know if it is suspension, roads, or what. I buy the best quality tires. I can't get more than about 45,000mi out of anything.

Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated.

Tags
compass , high mileage , patriot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.