High Mileage/General update - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > High Mileage/General update

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

High Mileage/General update

Hi you all! Been awhile since last here.
Ok a mileage update. The Compass is still running flawlessly. I just turned 115,000 mi! I do all the maintainance by the book. At 90,000mi I installed a new air filter and changed the fluids. At 100,000 mi I had the engine coolant changed and flushed. I also had the transmission fluid changed that was the first time for that. My Compass is a manual.
In some previous post I changed the factory spark plugs at 30,000mi and replaced them with NGK Iridium plugs. At 100,000 mi while doing the other service I removed just one spark plug just to check them. It looked good as new.
I have had no problems with my Compass, like it said I maintain my vehicles well. I will try to keep a watch on this thread and post back. Later this week I am replacing the front brakes. I never replaced the brakes yet! I had it looked at and an estimate done. I need new pads in the front, my rotors are slightly warped. They are still within spec and can be machined or I may just replace them. Not sure yet what to do. The rear pads and rotors are still ok.
To Gramps, I'm not sure how you wish to post this thread. I know I have rediculous mileage for my vehicle. If others wish to ask questions about my vehicle care or maintainance I will try to stay tuned to this site and respond to posts. I will try to help in any way. Thank you all!

FYI: 2007 Compass Limited
FWD
5-speed manual
225/60/18 tires on factory wheels
Had K&N air charged, bur removed it (to noisy) now stock again
all factory options except the 4WD and CVT

Last edited by cuemark8; 03-14-2010 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: more info
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Congrats on the good maintenance that you've done to get over 100K!!

It's up to you what you want to do with the tread, I'm here to help, not dictate. I can say from experience that a sticky will get over looked but instead recommend that we put a link in the "Quick Links" threads for easy reference and add others as they come up.

Here's the brake thread if you want to try it yourself, they aren't very hard. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/brake-job-548958/ I tried to shop for some parts but prices are all over the board. I run in to "loaded caliper, simi-loaded calipers, remanufactured, etc. If you have a place that can turn the rotors that would be the cheapest way to go; new fronts are between $50 - 55 ea; the rears are $32 - 44 ea. The good news in my search is the the hubs and bearings are now available aftermarket.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
parajeep
2007 MK Compass 

Brakes

If just doing the brake pads, is it necessary to disconnect the battery? I don't want to mess up any sensors.
parajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I never have on any other brake job that I've done but then I've never had this much electronics before. Even though I can't think of anything that would get damaged, since it's not powered up, I would disconnect the battery just to be on the safe side and its so easy to do.

Unread 03-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

What is your secret to break life??? In my twenty-six years of driving, I've never EVER had break pads last longer than 30,000-35,000 miles! When I home delivered news papers, I was replacing my front pads every 5,000 miles (on other vehicles). Under more "normal" driving conditions, I usually get the above mentioned mileage. My Compass has just over 31,000 on the clock and I'm already detecting a decrease in breaking performance indicating worn pads. I don't ride my breaks and usually use the engine to help slow down before actually pressing my break pedal. How do you get such life from your breaks???

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
fortuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Secret to brake life

Secret to brake life can involve many factors but in opinion about 3 huge factors.They are:
1: Most of my driving is all highway miles and very little city traffic. Stop and go traffic kills brake life.
2: Oddly my vehicle is a 5speed manual, better fuel mileage way better brake life. Just like OTR truckers downshifting will braking and slowing or downshifting while decending hills saves brakes greatly! Let the compression of the engine hold the vehicle back!
3: Added vehicle weight. Lose the junk in the trunk! Any extra equipment, parts, people, tools all add weight to the vehicle. Any extra weight thats just more the engine has to overcome to get moving and thats just more the brakes have to overcome to stop.

As a note this vehicle is front wheel drive and frankly thats wears the front brakes more in my opinion. Most brake stopping power is on the front wheels and front wheel drive makes that worse compared to a weight balanced RWD vehicle. I got 115,000mi miles of wear on my front brakes and I am somewhat disappointed. I actually thought I could do better than that considering it is 4 wheel disc brake. I had a Ford Mustang prior to this if I remenber correctly I changed the front brakes around 160,000mi. I traded the car at 213,000mi having never changed the rear brake pads. I bought it brand new in 2001 traded it on the Compass!
Unread 03-21-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuemark8 View Post
Hi you all! Been awhile since last here.
Ok a mileage update. The Compass is still running flawlessly. I just turned 115,000 mi! I do all the maintainance by the book. At 90,000mi I installed a new air filter and changed the fluids. At 100,000 mi I had the engine coolant changed and flushed. I also had the transmission fluid changed that was the first time for that. My Compass is a manual.
In some previous post I changed the factory spark plugs at 30,000mi and replaced them with NGK Iridium plugs. At 100,000 mi while doing the other service I removed just one spark plug just to check them. It looked good as new.
I have had no problems with my Compass, like it said I maintain my vehicles well. I will try to keep a watch on this thread and post back. Later this week I am replacing the front brakes. I never replaced the brakes yet! I had it looked at and an estimate done. I need new pads in the front, my rotors are slightly warped. They are still within spec and can be machined or I may just replace them. Not sure yet what to do. The rear pads and rotors are still ok.
To Gramps, I'm not sure how you wish to post this thread. I know I have rediculous mileage for my vehicle. If others wish to ask questions about my vehicle care or maintainance I will try to stay tuned to this site and respond to posts. I will try to help in any way. Thank you all!

FYI: 2007 Compass Limited
FWD
5-speed manual
225/60/18 tires on factory wheels
Had K&N air charged, bur removed it (to noisy) now stock again
all factory options except the 4WD and CVT
you have 115k and have NEVER EVER replaced the brakes????? I was wondering when mine were going to go out, its been 39k now. Ill let them ride out until the indicators start squeeling!
Unread 03-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My daughter got 95K or so out of her Dakota and she's still on the original clutch at 115K. I taught her how to drive but she is very gentle on her stuff any way. I've got 55K on mine and I'll be looking at them this summer. I was just in the shop for LBJ/tie rods/tire rotation and the dealer made no mention of the brakes being down.

Unread 03-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #9
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Yes, I got 115K out of the brake pads. It's all highway driving they just don't get used. I just replaced them at the dealer I get most of my work done at. I spent the extra money ane replaced the rotors rather than just get them cut down. They just don't seem to last after machining them.
I've driven a manual since I was 16. I never replaced a clutch, ever. My last two vehicles had over 200K when traded in.
Unread 03-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

My Compass just turn 60,000kms and I was thinking about the brakes also so I checked out some prices on the net. I would go with new rotors instead of getting them turned. If they are warped a bit now then they will warp again even faster.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
spencernj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My 08 UK Diesel has just done 60k miles. So far only items replaced are tyres at 50k other than normal service items. No brakes yet.
Unread 05-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

if anybody happens to need brakes anytime soon make sure you buy the NAPA Adaptive One pads! They're $15 off with a mail in rebate and it will help out your local NAPA parts man! (We are getting commission on every set we sell this month!) Sorry for advertising but I must say, they are great brake pads
Unread 05-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I got my email notice on that last week and it's good until the 30th. Gonna need 'em sometime but since when do counter guys get a commission? Things have changed since '70's!

Unread 05-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #14
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Im not sure about every other chain, but our chain of 4 stores gives 5 dollars to each counterperson for each set of ADO pads sold. And then at the end of the month, each store gives some sort of prize to the guy who sold the most. Pretty good deal I'd say, but in my poor little town everybody wants the Tru-Stops. I've only sold one pair of ADOs since the 1st of the month
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #15
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am curious how many miles you guys have on your compass'? This is for my dad who has a 2008 compass with around 150k on the clock.

FOR SALE PM me if interested!
C-rok outer steering box brace new, never installed. Also have an XJ trailer hitch for sale, needs some paint, but thats about it.
Finallyajeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass , high mileage , patriot

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.