High Idle and Fuel Gauge Issues - 2008 Patriot Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > High Idle and Fuel Gauge Issues - 2008 Patriot Sport

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 03-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
mhomerjr
2008 MK Patriot 

High Idle and Fuel Gauge Issues - 2008 Patriot Sport

My 2008 Patriot Sport just hit 39K, and I am having strange issues with the vehicle.

1. I am having a high idle upon start up (1500 - 2000 RPMs), and it will stabilize at about 1000 RPMs after about 2 minutes.
2. The car is having a constant vibration, and it will sometime give a few hard vibrations when in the Drive gear and stopped.
3. My gas mileage has gone down significantly. I was having about 21 C/26 Hwy and I am lucky if I get 17 MPG now.
4. My fuel gauge will bounce around from full to 1/2 a tank and back to full on occasion regardless if I am on level ground or not.
5. the vehicle struggles to get up hills (3500RPMs at 25 MPH...)

I have had a tuneup, computer update, regular maintenance, and I have had three auto shops (including a Jeep/Dodge dealership) examine my car, and none could identify the problem.

Has anyone experienced these problems? If so, have you resolved them, and how? Please help. I appreciate your advice other than selling this car.

mhomerjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I had the same lost mpg at about the same mileage, after a tune up, etc. The dealer told me it was probably bad gas. Since this was on a trip where I filled up at a half dozen different stations that's not likely. I did pull the battery cables to reset the computers and it helped temporarily but I did have to keep doing that for about 2 weeks before it finally fixed itself.

Others have had the same MPG problem at about the same mileage too. I believe we all used the same fix.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
General_Jeep
1994 ZJ 

You could also try to sit there and rev the engine to about 5k and let that gunk in the Cat burn through. Or you could do alot of jack rabbit starts to do that as well. My old ZJ had something similar started getting 12mpg stock. I did that and mpgs went back to17-20 range. This was also after a tune up because I thought the sparks plugs were shot.
2005 Nissan Titan - Hauler

"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!" - Enzo Ferrari
General_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
mhomerjr
2008 MK Patriot 

Thanks guys... I tried rev-ing the engine to 5K RPMs but unfortunately, I am still having the issues. I have even had the dealer upgrade the software on my engine computer, and I am STILL having these issues. I am really starting to hate this Jeep Patriot... The Jeep techs at the dealership can't identify the issue, and they also refuse to look into the CVT, which I think may be part of the problem. If you guys know of any other pointers, please let me know.
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Busmaster2

Somebody here made a comment about turning on your ignition to 'on' and slowly stepping on the gas pedal, then waiting a minute to strat the car. It works for me when it runs rougj.
Busmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
w4rh4wk
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busmaster2 View Post
Somebody here made a comment about turning on your ignition to 'on' and slowly stepping on the gas pedal, then waiting a minute to strat the car. It works for me when it runs rougj.
you mean me?

1# turn ignition on
2# depress accelerator slowly till it goes all the way down ( this should take aprox. 10 seconds)
3# hold for a couple of seconds then start releasing (letting the peddel up)
slowly (this should also take aprox 10 seconds)
4# when peddle is fully realeased wait a couple of seconds and turn off the igniton key off for at least 1 minute
5# now the ECU is reset to a learn mode and it will learn to drive the way you drive.
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Radio + Jensen JCAM1 Rearview Backup Cam, K&N 63-1567 Performance Intake , Magnaflow Exhaust Part #16777 (Yes it will fit on a 4x4 2011 Compass), Mopar Chrome Fuel Door, Cargo Area Security Cover, Husky floor mats, Mopar Front & Rear Molded Splash Guards
w4rh4wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #7
mhomerjr
2008 MK Patriot 

My Patriot is a 2008 Sport Automatic Transmission. When trying to reset the ECU, should I start the engine or only turn on the ignition to have the car run on battery only?

Also, when the ECU resetting is complete, will I see any message on my digital odometer or hear a noise to indicate that the ECU has been reset?

I tried to do this yesterday a few times, and I am not seeing any difference yet nor did I notice any kind of indicator that this reset procedure worked. I just want to make sure I am following your steps properly...

Thank you very much everybody for your input!
Unread 03-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
w4rh4wk
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhomerjr View Post
My Patriot is a 2008 Sport Automatic Transmission. When trying to reset the ECU, should I start the engine or only turn on the ignition to have the car run on battery only?
No do not start the engine. Turn key to to the point of the were everything is on the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhomerjr View Post
Also, when the ECU resetting is complete, will I see any message on my digital odometer or hear a noise to indicate that the ECU has been reset?
Nope you will hear and see nothing.
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Radio + Jensen JCAM1 Rearview Backup Cam, K&N 63-1567 Performance Intake , Magnaflow Exhaust Part #16777 (Yes it will fit on a 4x4 2011 Compass), Mopar Chrome Fuel Door, Cargo Area Security Cover, Husky floor mats, Mopar Front & Rear Molded Splash Guards
w4rh4wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.