Hids - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Hids

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Closed Thread
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
kevinw2345
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, Ontario Canada
Posts: 42
Hids

Hey guys I'm trying to install hids in my 08 compass but when I turn them on my radio shuts off and dash lights up and it comes up no bus. Is there any input you guys could give me?

kevinw2345 is offline  
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
kevinw2345
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, Ontario Canada
Posts: 42
And these are my fogs by the way, any help is appreciated
kevinw2345 is offline  
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
IRSmart
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,078
yes, the advice is to junk them and put hallogens back in. HIDs are not the god send people think they are. read this article:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
IRSmart is offline  
Unread 03-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
KLRJEEPER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: fresno, home of OCR, super driver!
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
yes, the advice is to junk them and put hallogens back in. HIDs are not the god send people think they are. read this article:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Don't mind Daniel stern. I have been.running hid in a bunch of vehicles with great results. However, it's tricky in the compass as is with my.patriot. You need a relay system to connect them too. Google harness for can bus hid. After that, they work fine. However in my new jk unlimited the headlight design was not good for.them .
KLRJEEPER is offline  
Unread 03-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil
 
Gramps's Avatar
2007 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison/Janesville, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
yes, the advice is to junk them and put hallogens back in. HIDs are not the god send people think they are. read this article:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Read the article and decide for yourself. They are not legal in most states. Functioning and Working correctly are not the same thing.
__________________
Bob

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline  
Unread 03-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
IRSmart
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRJEEPER View Post
Don't mind Daniel stern. I have been.running hid in a bunch of vehicles with great results. However, it's tricky in the compass as is with my.patriot. You need a relay system to connect them too. Google harness for can bus hid. After that, they work fine. However in my new jk unlimited the headlight design was not good for.them .
"don't mind daniel stern?" can you define "great results?" because the problem is by design. a headlight housing designed for hallogen bulbs is not equipped to properly emit a safe, legal, and functional beam pattern from a hacked up HID retrofit. period. there are different degrees of failure, however they are all unfit beam patterns. the only true way to install HIDs after the fact is to retrofit a housing designed for HIDs in the first place. to do otherwise is lazy and unsafe, both for you and for other drivers on the road.

*awaits the standard "nuh-uh! i put HIDs in my car and the beam pattern looks fine and they're hella cool!"*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Read the article and decide for yourself. They are not legal in most states. Functioning and Working correctly are not the same thing.
correct, there is a difference between "working" and "functional". but HID retrofits are illegal in all 50 states (they're actually banned by the department of transportation at the federal level) and are illegal in most countries as well.
IRSmart is offline  
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
KLRJEEPER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: fresno, home of OCR, super driver!
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post

"don't mind daniel stern?" can you define "great results?" because the problem is by design. a headlight housing designed for hallogen bulbs is not equipped to properly emit a safe, legal, and functional beam pattern from a hacked up HID retrofit. period. there are different degrees of failure, however they are all unfit beam patterns. the only true way to install HIDs after the fact is to retrofit a housing designed for HIDs in the first place. to do otherwise is lazy and unsafe, both for you and for other drivers on the road.

*awaits the standard "nuh-uh! i put HIDs in my car and the beam pattern looks fine and they're hella cool!"*

correct, there is a difference between "working" and "functional". but HID retrofits are illegal in all 50 states (they're actually banned by the department of transportation at the federal level) and are illegal in most countries as well.
Well then I won't respond. I used the proper color temp, not some stupid annoying blue crap, aimed them properly then had my wife drive at me to make sure they were not annoying. I spend at least 70-80k a year in pitch black driving. I know what works and what does not. And yes, don't mind Daniel stern, I have read and talked to him about lighting and he talks out of his ***.
KLRJEEPER is offline  
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
IRSmart
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRJEEPER View Post
Well then I won't respond. I used the proper color temp, not some stupid annoying blue crap, aimed them properly then had my wife drive at me to make sure they were not annoying. I spend at least 70-80k a year in pitch black driving. I know what works and what does not. And yes, don't mind Daniel stern, I have read and talked to him about lighting and he talks out of his ***.
looks like a response to me

you can aim them all you want, the problem with putting HIDs in hallogen housings is conceptual and cannot be overcome with any amount of aiming. aiming simply adjusts the beam pattern up or down, it does nothing to adjust the pattern itself. yes, the light is brighter, i will agree with you there, but brighter does not equal better. the headlight needs to be able to use the light that it is given effectively. by positioning the light differently than the hallogen bulb and moving it from the focal point, you have removed the headlight's ability to do so. having someone else tell you that the light isn't glaring is an exremely poor and short-sighted way of judging effectiveness.

think about it this way. remember those old maglight flashlights that you could take down an elk with? remember shining them onto your neighbor's house a block away because they were that powerful? when you twisted the end of it, remember what happened? the beam pattern would change, and it would do so substantially. an eighth of a turn meant a beam pattern that was absolutely nothing like what you started with. and the bulb was moved by fractions of milimeters. by doing what is described of here, not only are you moving the position of the bulb much more than that, you are also changing the orientation of the light source, and the shape of the light source itself.

the only safe (and arguably legal) way to do an HID retrofit is to also retrofit the housing emitting the beam pattern. every reputable site says so, as does just about every first world country's federal transportation department. whether you agree with them or not is not the argument here, they have scientific data and test results to back up their claim, HID retrofit companies only say "nuh-uh! brighter is better!"
IRSmart is offline  
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
KLRJEEPER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: fresno, home of OCR, super driver!
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by irsmart View Post

looks like a response to me

You can aim them all you want, the problem with putting hids in hallogen housings is conceptual and cannot be overcome with any amount of aiming. Aiming simply adjusts the beam pattern up or down, it does nothing to adjust the pattern itself. Yes, the light is brighter, i will agree with you there, but brighter does not equal better. The headlight needs to be able to use the light that it is given effectively. By positioning the light differently than the hallogen bulb and moving it from the focal point, you have removed the headlight's ability to do so. Having someone else tell you that the light isn't glaring is an exremely poor and short-sighted way of judging effectiveness.

Think about it this way. Remember those old maglight flashlights that you could take down an elk with? Remember shining them onto your neighbor's house a block away because they were that powerful? When you twisted the end of it, remember what happened? The beam pattern would change, and it would do so substantially. An eighth of a turn meant a beam pattern that was absolutely nothing like what you started with. And the bulb was moved by fractions of milimeters. By doing what is described of here, not only are you moving the position of the bulb much more than that, you are also changing the orientation of the light source, and the shape of the light source itself.

The only safe (and arguably legal) way to do an hid retrofit is to also retrofit the housing emitting the beam pattern. Every reputable site says so, as does just about every first world country's federal transportation department. Whether you agree with them or not is not the argument here, they have scientific data and test results to back up their claim, hid retrofit companies only say "nuh-uh! Brighter is better!"
ok. You use what you like, I will use what I like.
KLRJEEPER is offline  
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
jacko15
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pennsylvania's North Shore
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
yes, the light is brighter, i will agree with you there, but brighter does not equal better
You've hit the nail squarely on the head with that observation. There's a subset of people in our society that is convinced that brighter, louder, bigger, more annoying, more in your face, etc., is always better for them. The problem is, in their little self centered world, it doesn't matter to them how their actions affect anyone else. And trying to reason with them is like trying to reason with a rock.
__________________
Hers: 2008 Jeep Compass Sport
Mine: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V/6 ORA II
Michelin LTX M/S 2's
jacko15 is online now  
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
KLRJEEPER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: fresno, home of OCR, super driver!
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
You've hit the nail squarely on the head with that observation. There's a subset of people in our society that is convinced that brighter, louder, bigger, more annoying, more in your face, etc., is always better for them. The problem is, in their little self centered world, it doesn't matter to them how their actions affect anyone else. And trying to reason with them is like trying to reason with a rock.
Have you tried a set fo 35w 4300k hid in your patriot? do you even have a patriot? if not....you cannot comment..I used it, the light was not scattered everywhere like the haters would have you believe. it worked really good. it was not up in peoples eyes, it was not bright to on comers, i never got flashed for my lights once when I had them. they gave me much better illumination in the night to see moose and other things on our highways. until someone tries it, they cannot comment. you can side with mr stern and his infinite wisdom. NO, they do not work in all situations, but they work in the patriot, as long as they are 4300k...the blue **** is what hurts more than the brightness.
KLRJEEPER is offline  
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
IRSmart
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRJEEPER View Post
Have you tried a set fo 35w 4300k hid in your patriot? do you even have a patriot? if not....you cannot comment..I used it, the light was not scattered everywhere like the haters would have you believe. it worked really good. it was not up in peoples eyes, it was not bright to on comers, i never got flashed for my lights once when I had them. they gave me much better illumination in the night to see moose and other things on our highways. until someone tries it, they cannot comment. you can side with mr stern and his infinite wisdom. NO, they do not work in all situations, but they work in the patriot, as long as they are 4300k...the blue **** is what hurts more than the brightness.
you literally just threw out EVERY steriotypical argument that an HID fanboi has in his arsenal. until you can provide tests (ie: PROOF) that your setup is different than every other in existance, your argument will still be wrong. in this case, it's not an opinionated statement, you're claiming facts, and your facts are simply wrong. keep them in your car, i don't really care, but you'll be informed.

EDIT: and he has a 2008 compass, which share the same headlight with the patriot. with all the glare coming from your headlights, it must have been difficult to read
IRSmart is offline  
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
KLRJEEPER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: fresno, home of OCR, super driver!
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post

you literally just threw out EVERY steriotypical argument that an HID fanboi has in his arsenal. until you can provide tests (ie: PROOF) that your setup is different than every other in existance, your argument will still be wrong. in this case, it's not an opinionated statement, you're claiming facts, and your facts are simply wrong. keep them in your car, i don't really care, but you'll be informed.
Ha ha ha. I love the haters.
KLRJEEPER is offline  
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
IRSmart
Registered User
2011 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRJEEPER View Post
Ha ha ha. I love the haters.
i'm a "hater" because i'm informed and actually know what i'm talking about i love ignorance
IRSmart is offline  
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
Concolour
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart

looks like a response to me

you can aim them all you want, the problem with putting HIDs in hallogen housings is conceptual and cannot be overcome with any amount of aiming. aiming simply adjusts the beam pattern up or down, it does nothing to adjust the pattern itself. yes, the light is brighter, i will agree with you there, but brighter does not equal better. the headlight needs to be able to use the light that it is given effectively. by positioning the light differently than the hallogen bulb and moving it from the focal point, you have removed the headlight's ability to do so. having someone else tell you that the light isn't glaring is an exremely poor and short-sighted way of judging effectiveness.

think about it this way. remember those old maglight flashlights that you could take down an elk with? remember shining them onto your neighbor's house a block away because they were that powerful? when you twisted the end of it, remember what happened? the beam pattern would change, and it would do so substantially. an eighth of a turn meant a beam pattern that was absolutely nothing like what you started with. and the bulb was moved by fractions of milimeters. by doing what is described of here, not only are you moving the position of the bulb much more than that, you are also changing the orientation of the light source, and the shape of the light source itself.

HID retrofit companies only say "nuh-uh! brighter is better!"
Haha first thing I thought of was mag lights too XD
Concolour is offline  




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.