Hide a Key question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Hide a Key question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
PC12driver
2013 MK Patriot 

Hide a Key question

Hello All.
I just bought my first Jeep (4x4 Patriot with CVT2, 2013)
It's a nice driving vehicle that I hope to get many good years out of.

I just had a spare key made. (too expensive but a subject for another day).

I was planning on looking for a larger than average hide a key type box to stash the spare in a hidden underbody location.
My concern is that this key, with the anti- theft chip inside would be stored for a long period of time in close proximity to a strong magnet.
Is there a possibility that the strong magnetic field could "wipe" the memory on the chip and cause it to not work if I needed it? (ie: Jeep shuts off two seconds after starting).

Thanks in advanse for responses...

Robert

PC12driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I have a spare key in the center console. If I loose my regular key I have a plain Jane 'not a sentry key' in my wallet that I can open the door with and get the spare. No I don't live in a high crime area where someone would break a window to get in and these are pretty far down the list of popularity to steal.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
PC12driver
2013 MK Patriot 

Hello Gramps,
I am more concerned with locking myself out of the vehicle when I'm on one of my many out of town highway trips. In Arizona where I live, there are still some areas with no cell phone coverage. The key would have to be on the outside of the vehicle.

I have read that magnetic fields can erase things like credit card swipe strips and the old cassette tapes because they use a magnetic arranging of molecules to encode information on them.

I don't know the nature of how the "chip" works on the new "Sentry Key" that comes with todays Jeeps, but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way if I lock myself out and the key doesn't work
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC12driver View Post
Hello Gramps,
I am more concerned with locking myself out of the vehicle when I'm on one of my many out of town highway trips. In Arizona where I live, there are still some areas with no cell phone coverage. The key would have to be on the outside of the vehicle.

I have read that magnetic fields can erase things like credit card swipe strips and the old cassette tapes because they use a magnetic arranging of molecules to encode information on them.

I don't know the nature of how the "chip" works on the new "Sentry Key" that comes with todays Jeeps, but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way if I lock myself out and the key doesn't work
but his point is, if you're worried about locking yourself out, why did you spend a few hundred dollars on a full sentry key, instead of just getting a $5 key that will unlock the door? if you're locked out, that means that a key that will run the car will be inside the car somewhere, so you only need to get into the car with the hidden key, not be able to start it. sounds like you threw a bunch of money away on this one to me...
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC12driver View Post
Hello Gramps,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I have a spare key in the center console. If I loose my regular key I have a plain Jane 'not a sentry key' in my wallet that I can open the door with and get the spare.
I do basically what Gramps does.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Or maybe you lost the OG key
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
dahozzman
2010 MK Compass 

AAA will make you a credit card access key for free. Perfect answer to your need since it's an emergency only key rather then a key you would be using a lot.

Or, if you really want an out of sight out of mind location for a key you could actually use after regaining entry, just put the key you had made in an envelope (thus avoiding your magnetic concern) and tape to the back of the glove box. You can access the back in the same manner as if you're were changing out the cabin filter. Just press in on the back upper corners and work it out.
2010 Compass LTD Added UConnect w/IPhone cable, front/rear MOPAR mud flaps, K&N drop in air filter, hardmount gooseneck cell phone station, MOPAR cargo liner, MOPAR cargo net, remote Radar Detector w/Voltmeter readout, upgraded speakers/added Tweeters & sub-woofer, MOPAR Back-up Camera/monitor, front lower grill, interior wood accents
dahozzman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
PC12driver
2013 MK Patriot 

Thanks all for the repleys...

Yeah I did feel a bit stupid after spending the $$$ on a Sentry key. I had not read the Manual enough and thought that the horn would go off and everything if I used a non-chip key to open the door.

I was confusing how the Sentry key system works on the Patriot with my wife's car.

Well after a bunch of searching around I found a small waterproof bag to put the key up under the car with strong cord.

That should do the trick.
Unread 12-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Opening the door with a non-chip key, once it's been locked with one does, sound the horn. Once inside and I grab the chipped key and turn the Jeep on with it the horn stops. The regular flat key fits in my wallet. ACE Hardware and just about any place can cut one of those for $5 or so.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.