HID kit problem on MK's - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > HID kit problem on MK's

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #46
Anewbigging

Yikes

I was not so lucky with my fogs, tried plug and play without harness... nothing,, possibly a flicker but hard to tell, tried with harness and it did something to my security system (factory) so that the car wouldn’t start and the dash said "no bus" after some anxious moments i detached the battery, took off all the wiring and reattached the battery and the car started,, service engine light went on. at least it starts right,?,? not sure how the warranty would work if i fried the computer trying to install HID's on my own. I'm not done yet, I'm going to install a separate switch and wiring harness to hopefully bypass the jeeps computer all together. Would the computer be affected by running the lights directly from the battery with a dedicated switch? I have a wiring harness that has a remote switch so I don’t have to run wires through the fire wall or mount an ugly switch.

Anewbigging is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #47
bpowa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

well hope this helps.. I got it off a note from an ebay seller..

quote:A special digital wire harness is needed for certain higher end types of car to by-pass the computer error message. (no additional cost)
Specially 2003 and newer Dodge, Chrysler, Mercedes-Benz, Jeep will definitely need special digital wire harness to function properly.

I just placed an order for my TJ but read this late.. I sent an additional email I hop I get the additional harness in my kit..
bpowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #48
calwil52

Keep us posted!!! We will be waiting!!
calwil52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #49
madrabbitt

read the second half of what i said in post 42

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #50
Anewbigging

finished

Finished changing out my stock fog lights for a HID ebay kit, after having problems with the jeeps computer i got a separate wiring harness for them that included a remote. So i didnt have to run wires through the firewall and mount a switch. as a bonus i used the "homelink' (i think thats what they call it) buttons in the jeeps headliner to turn them on and off. Its supposed to be used for controlling things like garage doors but you can teach it any wireless code... very cool. I'll take pictures soon.
Unread 03-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #51
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anewbigging View Post
Finished changing out my stock fog lights for a HID ebay kit, after having problems with the jeeps computer i got a separate wiring harness for them that included a remote. So i didnt have to run wires through the firewall and mount a switch. as a bonus i used the "homelink' (i think thats what they call it) buttons in the jeeps headliner to turn them on and off. Its supposed to be used for controlling things like garage doors but you can teach it any wireless code... very cool. I'll take pictures soon.
Aren't you clever!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #52
madrabbitt

Thats brilliant. That actually gives me some ideas for future installs now.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 03-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #53
Anewbigging

last night

well,,,, last night i had a chance to really look at the light output and the spray is too much for me, Dazzling lights is the first sign of a hack install. Either the Hid bulbs do not put the light in the exact same place as the stocks or it could just be that 4 times the light it just too much for the reflector, either way I will use them sparingly so i dont blind on comming traffic... i think my next project will be to retro fit projectors in there. they are the best way to utilize the hid source in my opinion.
I'll keep you posted.
Unread 03-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #54
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for all of the work and input on this! At least you were able to get them to work, now you just need to work on the beam brightness and pattern. It's looking positive!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #55
madrabbitt

which bulb type are the fogs?

you may be able to get a shield adaptor.

Unread 03-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #56
Anewbigging

H10's i think,,, its in this post somewhere. The original fogs have the end of the bulb blacked out and this blackout is not on the hids i placed in, a lot of the glare comes from this part of the hid, if i had a shield it would allow the reflector to do the work and would probably fix my glare issues. Do you know where i can get the shields? I havnt seen any hid's with the tips blacked out, I have seen some hids with black allong the length of them but now that you mentioned it i seem to remember reading about the shields, i believe the sylvania xenarc 1010 driving lights use this shield system.
Unread 03-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #57
madrabbitt

you can black out the tips, just dip the end of the bulb in high temp enamel, like oven and bbq paint.

That may help a little. Most of the glare is coming from the fact that the reflector's focal point is narrow, and the arc is significantly wider. Thats where the shield comes into play.

I dont think theres shields for H10 though, but i'll check

Unread 04-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #58
Anewbigging

Blacked out the tips of the HID's and a little of the base as suggested.... much better. I have no issues leaving them on all the time, they are more a style thing for me because i live in a big city. One note: if you decide to paint your hid's (to avoid the glare) make sure to 'cook' them before reinstalling them. once the bulbs are painted and dried the first time you light them the heat can produce some smoke and that can cloud or even leave a residue on the reflector. There are instructions on-line for putting them in a stove to properly dry the paint (scary) but I just left the bulbs to burn in an unventilated area for an hour, that seemed to do the trick.
Unread 04-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #59
m3_il

Hey guys. I tried installing Xenons in my gf's compass. Car did the disco ball thing. I used 55w ballasts. But i was using a relay and since the system recognized nothing was plugged in to the second plug thats why the flash. Even with a stock bulb they flash

Theres obviously something more complex going on here than we realize.
m3_il is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #60
flipperCompass
2008 MK Compass 

According to some research on the net:

HIDs operate on 35W whereas halogens operate on 55W. In some vehicles, the difference in current will trigger a "low beam failure indicator" or a "fast blinking error." As a result, your HID Conversion kit will not function properly.

Basically you need to have the computer think you still have regular 55W halogens hooked-up...

Some companies are selling what they call HID Canbus resistors or Canbus warning cancelling modules you add to your installation... You may want to try one of these!

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/CANBUS_Fix_p/cbfix.htm
http://www.cntuning.com/sdp/623241/4/pd/3504321.html
http://www.buytoonline.com/hid-kit-c...-audi-p64.html
http://unitesunshine.diytrade.com/sd...2-1287724.html
flipperCompass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass , headlight , headlights , hid , patriot , problem

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.