HID kit problem on MK's - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > HID kit problem on MK's

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-27-2007, 06:35 AM   #31
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec
HI
Someone correct me if I am wrong (drank a lot last night) 12volts 55watts = 2.6 ohms resistance of the bulb. So you only need a 2.6 resistor to fake the PDC/FCM and going by that it pulls 4.6 amps. So you will then need to know what amps the HID lamps pull (or relay is what I would use as just in case of start up current) then work out what resistance that would be and that away from the 2.6 ohms and this should give you the resistance you need to put in to fool the FCM. Sound correct?
Regards,
Merlin
thats about it. the relay would be parallel with the resister. to find the total resistance of a parallel resister network you add the reciprocals of each resister, then take the reciprocal of the result.. so if the relay was 500 ohms (just a guess, you need to measure the relay coil).

reciprocal of 2.6 = 0.3846
reciprocal of 500=0.002

0.3856 + 0.002 = 0.3866

reciprocal of 0.3866 = 2.58 ohms for the relay and resister in parallel. we would have to know the exact resistance of the relay and work backwards to see what value power resister would have to be to give exactly 2.6 ohms total.

I would get a variable resister (around 2 ohms min and as close to 5 max as possible) as going for exact values this precise will be hard and a variable gives some leeway.. plus we dont know how picky the computer really is.

Unread 12-27-2007, 06:49 AM   #32
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Mike,
Can you measure the Relay Coil?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #33
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

I can....let me see if i can find what i did with them. Give me a day or two. I will get back to you.
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #34
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I am glad that I looked at this, I was about to order some for my Caliber. (A carpooling buddy just added some to his Jetta and they ARE worth it methinks). Will crosspost this to the Caliber forum to see if they can be of any help. Same platform=almost the same electricals methinks.
Unread 01-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #35
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

I cannot find the relays - I will rip apart the garage this weekend. I know i put them somewhere
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #36
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laloggia
I cannot find the relays - I will rip apart the garage this weekend. I know i put them somewhere
while youre measuring, see what the voltage at the headlights are for both high and low beam with engine running, plus the same with the engine off (they may vary by a volt or so). this will give us a range of values that we can work with.
Unread 02-18-2008, 01:25 AM   #37
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

I'm totally new to the compass and what not...but I bought a 2008 Compass last week Feb 8th... and I just installed HIDs...I wired them up with the plug and play setting in which they worked fine until I started the car...in which I found they turned to disco lighting...I was then going to try another thing that was mentioned, but wanted to try the fuses/relays that came with it, in which it works fine! So I donno if between 2007-2008 they changed something...or just depends on the kit you get...
patrick3319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2008, 01:41 AM   #38
merlinTec

Hi
Thanks that’s great can you post the info the kit you installed. My money is on you get a better kit.
Regards,
Simon
Unread 02-18-2008, 01:50 AM   #39
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

Well my kit, for around my area...was actually really cheap...its a no name brand actually... BUT...the kit had cables that hooked up from the battery to the ballast...and then from the ballast you ran 2 wires to the socket where the light sat in...i'm gonna have to fab something up so it doesn't get wet...I taped it all up...i'll take some pics tomorrow so people can see...this kit, like I said was a really simple/cheap kit...so I don't know if they changed things since 2007-2008?

here is the link that the guy is using to sell them...some info is posted

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...QAdIdZ35850014

The only thing I need to figure out if I need 35 watt or 55 watt to use for my fogs...so I can buy some for them as well! get dual hids goin on! ... I know I need 9145=H10... anyone have the info if either 35 or 55 is what i'd need?
Unread 02-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #40
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

well as an update...went out and bought H10 HIDs for the Fogs...and did not need to use realys/fuses for them like I did for the headlights! so everything worked out fine....

as per MY kit...on my 2008 Compass (in Canada)...is I hooked up the power and ground to the battery, and then from there it goes to a fuse...and from the fuse to a relay, and the relay to the ballast...and ballast to the light...I had to plug 2 wires into the stock harness...and for now put a bag over it and tapped it up so water wouldn't get to it!

as for my fogs they were straight plug and play!!!
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #41
calwil52

Question regarding HID's

I ran my HIDs Bi-Xenon H13 in my 07' compass today and they looked as though they worked perfectly until i started the car and attempted to put it in drive. The Lights blinked 5 times and shut off. According to my research this has something to do with the draw of 35 watts for the HID's and 55 watts for the halogen and the controler unit shuts the lights down. I ran everything appropriately with the battery power running to the relay, from the relay to each balast and balast to bulb. The way that i tapped into the hi, lo, and ground was by way of using small plastic electrical clamps that splice the wires together with out cutting the stock plug reciever. I thought of one thing that could have corrected this without being a total failure. If i were to use old blow out H13 halogen bulbs to just keep in the stock plugs and just secured them in the engine bay would that trick it into thinking that its running the 55 watt bulb (while having the halogen and HID's run from the same sorce so i could still utilize the Hi/lo beam switch in the car) or would it be an over draw of power on the jeeps lighting unit). I tried this for a minute, started the car, and put in drive and the HID's didnt go off. Do you think that this is a good idea to do permanently? Or should i try another solution?
calwil52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:39 PM   #42
madrabbitt

I was talking with a local upfitter I used to work with. He said there was a kit coming out soon that would work with canbus systems. It has electromagnetic bi-xenon bulbs that slide the arc back and forth, and has a harness that provides the correct amount of resistance to the actual sockets when used as a trigger for the lights.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #43
Anewbigging

Lighting project for the weekend.

I’m going to replace the factory halogen fog lights with a HID conversion, What’s the best way to access the driving lights, between the hood and the grill or underneath somehow, it all looks very tight to me? I have read the other posts about it and it sounds like all sorts of funky electrical problems if you try and hook these up using the factory wiring in the jeep so I am thinking I may have to get a separate wiring harness and switch to be safe. (Although I don’t want to go this root I am concerned with the possible problems the jeeps computer might have) Any thoughts?
Thanks
Anewbigging is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 05:27 AM   #44
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

patrick3319 says that the Fog lights didn't have the same problems of the Headlights. Post #40 above. I would think that from underneath would be the way to go.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #45
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anewbigging View Post
I’m going to replace the factory halogen fog lights with a HID conversion, What’s the best way to access the driving lights, between the hood and the grill or underneath somehow, it all looks very tight to me? I have read the other posts about it and it sounds like all sorts of funky electrical problems if you try and hook these up using the factory wiring in the jeep so I am thinking I may have to get a separate wiring harness and switch to be safe. (Although I don’t want to go this root I am concerned with the possible problems the jeeps computer might have) Any thoughts?
Thanks
as for my fog lights....the set I bought had NO problems. it was all hook it up and let it go...I did NOT need relays or fuses....I have the HIDs also in the headlights...which needed them..for w/e reason. but it works!

Tags
compass , headlight , headlights , hid , patriot , problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.