JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   HID kit problem on MK's (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/hid-kit-problem-mks-483383/)

Laloggia 08-28-2007 09:16 AM

HID kit problem on MK's

I am having nothing but problems installing HID headlights in my Compass with or without the relay. Has anyone done this successfully? Only one side lights up. Plus, sometimes when I turn on the headlights, the starter motor will grind while the one headlight is lit in HID!!!! I turn off the headlight switch and turn off the car....the starter motor is still turning the motor while the key is out for 30 seconds...if I don't disconnect the battery!!!! I have never heard of such a thing. I am stumped. I put the original halogen Phillips h13's back in and no problems. Please help!

Mike

zxjockey 08-28-2007 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laloggia
I am having nothing but problems installing HID headlights in my Compass with or without the relay. Has anyone done this successfully? Only one side lights up. Plus, sometimes when I turn on the headlights, the starter motor will grind while the one headlight is lit in HID!!!! I turn off the headlight switch and turn off the car....the starter motor is still turning the motor while the key is out for 30 seconds...if I don't disconnect the battery!!!! I have never heard of such a thing. I am stumped. I put the original halogen Phillips h13's back in and no problems. Please help!

Mike

Geez, I don't know about the Jeep side, but it sounds more like you need Father Merrin!

CharBroiled 08-29-2007 09:46 AM

something is confusing one of the computers.. everything, including the starter to some extent, is controled by computer.

Jason31 08-29-2007 04:37 PM

Sounds to me like you have it wired incorrectly. Obviously this sounds like a simple answer, but without further information, I cannot be of more assistance.

Laloggia 08-29-2007 06:41 PM

OK, I was told to try and wire it into the parking lights. There are 3 wires going into these, just like the headlights. I have installed HID's many times and have had no problems until now. I found the ground (black wire), I then found the power for the parking lights (white W/purple stripe). I spliced into these and turned on the lights. The HID and parking lights blinked in sync 5 times, then went out. Most of you by now probably think this is some sick joke, BUT ITS NOT. This really happened. Then I started the car and turned the lights on with everything still connected....the starter motor kicked on and the same thing happened again. I give up!!!!!!!!

I would really like to talk with someone who has installed HID's successfully to find out what i'm doing wrong!

Mike

Gramps 08-30-2007 04:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Maybe these will help? Headlamp. Do you have Daytime Running Lights?

Gramps 08-30-2007 04:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Park and Turn Signal

CharBroiled 08-30-2007 05:39 AM

the lights are controlled by computer. for instance, if you plant a patriot into a tree or whatever hard enough to deploy the air bag, the doors will unlock and the interior and hazzard lights will be turned on by the computer (according to the owners manual). also, on mine the headlights come on when you lock or unlock the doors via the keyfob... again via a computer or module.

it may be the module that controls your lights has noticed that the current draw is not what it expects and the flashes are diagnostic codes, or it tries 5 times to get the expected current draw and then gives up.

take this with a grain of salt, its just guesswork but my field is computer electronics and the patriot/compass has a LOT of computers that talk to each other. it even has a "black box" that will record your last horrah when you get stuffed hard enough to deploy an airbag.

Im not sure how your HIDs are set up but you may need to use your own relay that gets switched via the lights youre tieing into. (sorry if thats how it already is, Ive never installed HIDs)

Laloggia 08-30-2007 06:15 AM

I appreciate all the help....thanks. I think I'm going to try to wire it into the fuse box somewhere. I tried the "Headlight" fuse....36 I think...and they come on then you start the car, not when you turn on the lights. I don't want that. I do not have daytime running lights. I also do not have power locks, an alarm, power windows, or anything else I can think of to interfere with this install....it should be as smooth as butter. My compass is pretty basic with Auto, Air, and all terrain tires. I wish I has power locks....didn't think I would miss it as much as I do.

I do agree that the computer is recognizing a different draw and doesn't like it. The question.is....How do we trick the computer?

-Mike

CNY 08-30-2007 06:28 AM

What is the starting current draw of the HIDs you bought? Not the running current, but the starting.

It wouldn't be unusual to find that the starting draw is higher that the circuit that your factory headlights uses.

As for the starter motor, that is a Jeep feature, where a Jeep tries to start up and run away, any time an owner tries to treat a Jeep like an '89 Honda! ;)

CharBroiled 08-30-2007 06:57 AM

Im not too familiar with HIDs.. this is just a low beam kit?

I dont think the computer cares about under current, just over current conditions. I think CNY is right, the starting current for the HIDs may look like a short to the computer and it shuts them down to protect itself.

if you use a relay connected to the parking light or headlights harness or plug and then power the HIDs right from the battery (with an inline fuse) via the relay you might be good. I wouldnt try powering it from any of the jeep fuses.

then again you might wind up with a "disco jeep" again :)

Laloggia 08-30-2007 12:38 PM

I tried it with and without the relays. No luck.
Its a single low beam kit.

I think I have officially given up. Thank you for all of your suggestions.

-Mike

Jason31 09-05-2007 06:40 PM

Doesn't sound right to me to wire into the parking lamps, but then again, I've never installed HID's.

Would need wire schematics from the manufacturer of your kit, then I could match it to Gramp's schematics of the Compass and explain the install to you.

Laloggia 09-05-2007 07:51 PM

The HID system is pretty basic. On one end you have a ground wire and a power wire thats supposed to tap into the headlights. The other end of that plugs into the Ballast (to convert the voltage to AC). From the ballast, you have two wires that plug directly into a H13 HID headlight that twists into the headlight housing. Thats it.

This system is not complicated at all. For some strange reason, the Compass doesn't like the initial draw to power the ballast. Its definitely higher at first, but settles down to 12 volts after a few seconds. The Compass recognizes this and thinks something is wrong....these cars today are too darn smart.

I have since purchased some Eurolite Xenon whites that I have had Great luck with in the past. I'm still waiting for someone else to try the HID install. Please keep me/us posted here.

Thanks.

galanhk 11-09-2007 03:49 PM

HID kit problem on Compass

I have a 2007 Compass limited.
recently, i have bought 2 different set of HID kits on ebay, but whenever i start the engine, the lights flashed 5 times and went off. I'm guess it should be the conflict between the couputer and the kit.

Have anyone installed HID kit on a Compass before? any successful case?
or any recommendation on the hid brands that have no problem after installing it?

please kindly help out.

The time now is 08:24 AM.