HID headlight retrofit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > HID headlight retrofit

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 05-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

HID headlight retrofit

before anyone has a heart attack, i'm talking about a propor retrofit, not a crappy bulb conversion. i've seen some european compass models with HID projector headlights and it's started me thinking. are the ballasts built into the headlight themselves, allowing the headlights to be easily swapped, or are they elsewhere in the car? with as tempermental as these cars are with the new computer systems, i don't want to go ripping the car apart and make everything stop working, especially when that will void my warranty.

another route i'm considering is using a grand cherokee headlight. at my dealership, we discovered that the two headlights look identical, and only the removable mounting hardware is different. the part numbers will be different due to the difference in the mounting hardware, but do you think that the housing is the same, enough to fit? the likelyhood of me finding a 2011 grand cherokee headlight in a junkyard is slim to none to try, but it might be worth it.

the website i use for wiring diagrams doesn't have anything for 2011 yet, and nothing for the european style. does anyone know where to get some, other than from my parts department?

IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

i found a thread over on myjeepcompass.net where the members there were wondering the same thing, and they were able to confirm that you can indeed swap a grand cherokee headlight into a compass, but the lighting is a different story. i am pretty good with automotive eletronics, so i'll worry about that later. for now, i'm just trying to verify what they claim. i was able to find that the part numbers for the headlights between the GC and the compass are different, but they claim that they will bolt right in.

here is a link to that thread
Unread 05-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I don't have the 2011 wiring diagrams for the N.A or Euro version. You'd need to trace the Euro version out to see and compare to the N.A version what different sensors/relays they used, if any. I do now that the earlier Euro MK's had a self leveling head light bucket and I think that is a standard feature (by law). I don't know if the lighting would be wired in conjunction with it or not.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It's a good write up over there! It looks like the GC limited used the HID's so sure the part # would be different. It sounds like the non HID GC used the same as the Compass so fit wise they should work UNLESS there is something in the way, like sheet metal, that causes interference. They did mention that something was "closer" than desirable and they had to use tape for additional protection but that may have been because of the aftermarket HID stuff, the factory pieces may be a better fit. Keep us updated on this!

Unread 05-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

i know the part numbers between HID and hallogen would be different. my point was that the hallogen lamps between the GC and the compass are different as well, even though they claimed that they are the same and will bolt right up. there is a $100 difference between the hallogen lamps in the GC and the compass, but i compared them on my lot and they look identical.
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

When you say Halogen Lamps are you referring to the 'buckets' or some kind of lamp assembly, either internal or external. I don't have an exploded view so the nomenclature is confusing.

Unread 05-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

im saying that the headlight in the grand cherokee that does not use HIDs, has a different part number than the headlight in the 2011 compass, even though they claim that they are interchangable.
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Now I got 'cha!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.