Hey fellas, not a lot of talk on the forum lately so..... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Hey fellas, not a lot of talk on the forum lately so.....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #16
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

So what would the pros and cons be with the coils and the springs? If i bought bigger springs would i need bigger shocks?

Unread 01-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #17
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystrong68w View Post
So what would the pros and cons be with the coils and the springs? If i bought bigger springs would i need bigger shocks?
There are no upgrades made as of yet for the struts (shocks). With the spring upgrade you just change the existing coil spring in the factory strut with the new spring (you need a strut compressor tool to do this). Some upward travel in the strut is lost but people that have the springs seem satisfied. They have said that it has been fine on the road and the vehicle handles quite well and even better than stock.

The spacer lift (RRO lift) uses metal spacers that fit between the strut and the body. The strut remains in it's stock configuration and just "raised up" the desired amont by the spacer being used. Just like a "budget boost" is used on a Jeep Wrangler. pretty simple to do. I would recomend an alignment after either of these lifts were installed.

Either of these will lift the vehicle and add the ground clearence that is desired. They both work and help for the off roading of one of these type vehicles. Not to mention it makes them look how they should have come from the factory in the first place. The decision comes down to what you want. Look at both and see what fits your budget and needs.
White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #18
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Pros - some dealers will still cover the warranty, sway bar extensions not necessary, better ride (subjective opinion).

Cons - more expensive to buy, installation a little more difficult (spring compressor required and knowing how to use it safely).

The springs have a different spring rate and are made of a new high tech steel, new shocks not required. This setup just doesn't "bottom out" as low as the stock suspension.

(Good morning TheHeilis - responding at the same time, I see. )

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:31 AM   #19
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

Thanks guys, thats exactly what i wanted to know!

Well i guess ill have to go with the spacer option, because i do not have a coil compressor! Could you guys guess the shop cost of the coil install?
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #20
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystrong68w View Post
Thanks guys, thats exactly what i wanted to know!

Well i guess ill have to go with the spacer option, because i do not have a coil compressor! Could you guys guess the shop cost of the coil install?
No idea, but it would pricey. If you know a mechanic or someone that is able to do the job that would be your best bet. I think you can a rent strut tool but you should know what you are doing since you will be working with compressed coil springs.

Here is a link to the spacer lift:
http://www.rocky-road.com/patriotsus.html

Oh and Morining Gramps .
White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust , kit , lift , photos

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.