help needed, which parts should I buy for compass' FDII? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > help needed, which parts should I buy for compass' FDII?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 08-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
wangyi

help needed, which parts should I buy for compass' FDII?

hello everyone, I got a compass in 2011 without FD2 and now I want to install a suite of that myself, 1)do you guys know which parts should I buy? 2)and if possible, where can I have the parts number of these?
BTW I only need the low-speed four-wheel dirve and the brake lock differential as you all know
thank you so much
waiting online

wangyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Not financially possible to upgrade a FDI with FDII, you have to have a new transmission, and programming, and a lot of other stuff. You would easily spend 5-9k just to get the job done, you're better off finding a FDII patriot/compass and selling your current vehicle.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
wangyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
Not financially possible to upgrade a FDI with FDII, you have to have a new transmission, and programming, and a lot of other stuff. You would easily spend 5-9k just to get the job done, you're better off finding a FDII patriot/compass and selling your current vehicle.
thank you so much for your replying, so you mean I need the transmission the programming? Can I find that in dealer's place or some other auto parts shop?
I do love my old FDI compass though...
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

The final drive gears are different too. Aren't those outside of the transmission?
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

The CVT2 and CVT2L have the same ratio range, but the cars gearing is where the 19:1 comes from.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

you're right, it is the final drive, which is part of the transaxle, which is axle, transmission and final drive all in one unit. I guess you could swap one out, but that would be pretty labor intensive. The hard part would be the software, IIRC, the software is linked to the vin of the vehicle, you would have to tell the computer that it has the vin of a FDII patriot, and then let it load up the software for both the main computer, and the controller for the transmission. I don't know of too many dealers that would do that...
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
wangyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
you're right, it is the final drive, which is part of the transaxle, which is axle, transmission and final drive all in one unit. I guess you could swap one out, but that would be pretty labor intensive. The hard part would be the software, IIRC, the software is linked to the vin of the vehicle, you would have to tell the computer that it has the vin of a FDII patriot, and then let it load up the software for both the main computer, and the controller for the transmission. I don't know of too many dealers that would do that...
now I understand, so it's kinda impossible then...
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangyi View Post
now I understand, so it's kinda impossible then...
Not impossible,though for the $$$ not worth it.No dealer will do the programming so it would all have to be custom programmed,not cheap.It's not like 30 years ago when vehicles did not have any computers,today everything is computer controlled which ups the cost by almost what a new vehicle would cost to try and retrofit into another vehicle without it.
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

You can do anything if you have enough cash. But you would be better off selling your fdi and finding a fdii.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.