Help: How to change a brake light on an MK (Typical) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Help: How to change a brake light on an MK (Typical)

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 12-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
leannakf

Help: How to change a brake light on an MK (Typical)

i have attempted to do a search on , and on page 2 i found this forum so i am hoping that someone may be able to help me.

i am inquiring to see if anyone knows how to change a brake light on a 2007 Jeep Compass. any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

in advance.

- Leanna

leannakf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 05:08 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Tail Light Assembly and Bulbs

Rear Lamp Housing Removal.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Open the liftgate to access and remove the two push pin fasteners (5) that secure the rear lamp unit (4) to the side trough of the liftgate opening.
3. Pull the outboard side of the rear lamp unit rearward far enough to unsnap the two ball studs on the outboard side of the lamp housing from the two plastic grommets (3) in the quarter outer panel (2).
4. Pull the lamp away from the vehicle far enough to access and disconnect the three unibody wire harness connectors (1, 6 and 8) from the bulb socket connector receptacles on the back of the lamp housing.
5. Remove the lamp from the lamp opening of the quarter outer panel.

Bulb Removal
6. Firmly grasp the appropriate bulb socket (1, 3 or 4) on the back of the rear lamp unit housing and rotate it counterclockwise about 30 degrees to unlock it.
7. Pull the socket and bulb straight out from the keyed opening in the housing.
8. Pull the base of the bulb straight out of the socket.

CAUTION: Always use the correct bulb size and type for replacement. An incorrect bulb size or type may overheat and cause damage to the lamp, the socket or the lamp wiring.
NOTE: The rear lamp unit (2) contains three bulbs. They are: backup (3), park/stop/rear side marker (1), and turn signal (4). The service procedures for each bulb are the same, only the bulb sizes and types may differ.

Bulb Installation.
1. Align the base of the bulb with the appropriate lamp socket (1, 3 or 4).
2. Push the bulb straight into the socket until the base is firmly seated.
3. Align the socket and bulb with the keyed opening on the back of the rear lamp unit (2) housing.
4. Insert the socket and bulb into the housing until the socket is firmly seated.
5. Rotate the socket clockwise about 30 degrees to lock it into place.
6. Reinstall the rear lamp unit onto the end of the quarter panel.

Rear Lamp Housing Installation.
7. Check to be certain that the two plastic seal grommets (7) are in good condition and properly installed in the side trough of the liftgate opening.
8. Check to be certain that the two plastic ball stud grommets (3) are in good condition and properly installed in the quarter outer panel (2).
9. Position the rear lamp unit (4) to the lamp opening of the quarter outer panel.
10. Reconnect the three unibody wire harness connectors (1, 6 and 8) to the bulb socket connector receptacles on the back of the lamp housing.
11. Align the two ball studs on the outboard side of the lamp housing with the two grommets in the quarter outer panel.

CAUTION: Apply firm and even pressure to the rear lamp ONLY at the top and bottom of the unit. Applying pressure at the side or center of the lamp may result in damage to the lamp lens or reflector.

12. Using hand pressure, push firmly and evenly on the outboard top and bottom of the lamp until both ball studs snap into the grommets.
13. Install the two push pin fasteners (6) that secure the rear lamp unit to the side trough of the liftgate opening.
14. Reconnect the battery negative cable.
mk-lamp-housing.jpg   mk-typical.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL)

Centered High Mounted Stop lamp.

Compass

2. Remove the spoiler assembly (1) from the top of the outer liftgate panel.
a. Remove the liftgate trim plugs.
b. Remove the nuts (3).
c. Remove the spoiler (1) and disconnect the electrical connector.
3. Remove the two screws (3) that secure the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) (2) to the back of the liftgate spoiler.
4. Remove the CHMSL from the back of the liftgate spoiler.

PATRIOT

2. Remove the two screws (1) that secure the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) (2) to the top of the outer liftgate panel.
3. Pull the CHMSL away from the liftgate far enough to access and disconnect the washer supply hose (5) from the barbed nipple of the rear washer nozzle at the back of the lamp housing.
4. Disconnect the liftgate wire harness connector (4) from the back of the lamp housing.
5. Remove the CHMSL from the liftgate.

Installation is just the reverse.
spoiler-.jpg   spoiler-b.jpg   chmsl-compass.jpg   chmsl-patriot.jpg  

Unread 12-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
leannakf

thanks! i will print this info out and give it to my husband!
leannakf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
flipperCompass
2008 MK Compass 

about CHMSL

Centered High Mounted Stop lamp is made of LEDs on my 2008 Compass, I don't why it would need to be replaced... Was 2007 regular bulbs?
North Edition 4x4 5spd
Bright Silver PS2
flipperCompass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipperCompass View Post
Centered High Mounted Stop lamp is made of LEDs on my 2008 Compass, I don't why it would need to be replaced... Was 2007 regular bulbs?
'07 is LED's too. Serviced as an assembly. Things break.

Unread 01-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
exper
2008 MK Patriot 

HELP: Removing Brake light cover on 2008 Patriot

Hello,

Since the manual was zero help, I thought I'd ask here. There are 2 plastic caps holding this on, but when I tried to pry them off with screwdriver, they appeared to almost break. Am I missing something here? I'm usually mechanically inclined, but I don't want to have to replace brake light covers for $300+ on Ebay! Any help appreciated!
exper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
madrabbitt

the two plastic pins inside the liftgate frame? Dont pry them with a screwdriver, use a trim tool or something with a groove.

I usually use a BBQ fork, it works really well.

If you screw up the pins, autozone has more.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.