The Necessary Evil
Join Date: Aug 2006
Tail Light Assembly and Bulbs
Rear Lamp Housing Removal.
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Open the liftgate to access and remove the two push pin fasteners (5) that secure the rear lamp unit (4) to the side trough of the liftgate opening.
3. Pull the outboard side of the rear lamp unit rearward far enough to unsnap the two ball studs on the outboard side of the lamp housing from the two plastic grommets (3) in the quarter outer panel (2).
4. Pull the lamp away from the vehicle far enough to access and disconnect the three unibody wire harness connectors (1, 6 and 8) from the bulb socket connector receptacles on the back of the lamp housing.
5. Remove the lamp from the lamp opening of the quarter outer panel.
6. Firmly grasp the appropriate bulb socket (1, 3 or 4) on the back of the rear lamp unit housing and rotate it counterclockwise about 30 degrees to unlock it.
7. Pull the socket and bulb straight out from the keyed opening in the housing.
8. Pull the base of the bulb straight out of the socket.
CAUTION: Always use the correct bulb size and type for replacement. An incorrect bulb size or type may overheat and cause damage to the lamp, the socket or the lamp wiring.
NOTE: The rear lamp unit (2) contains three bulbs. They are: backup (3), park/stop/rear side marker (1), and turn signal (4). The service procedures for each bulb are the same, only the bulb sizes and types may differ.
1. Align the base of the bulb with the appropriate lamp socket (1, 3 or 4).
2. Push the bulb straight into the socket until the base is firmly seated.
3. Align the socket and bulb with the keyed opening on the back of the rear lamp unit (2) housing.
4. Insert the socket and bulb into the housing until the socket is firmly seated.
5. Rotate the socket clockwise about 30 degrees to lock it into place.
6. Reinstall the rear lamp unit onto the end of the quarter panel.
Rear Lamp Housing Installation.
7. Check to be certain that the two plastic seal grommets (7) are in good condition and properly installed in the side trough of the liftgate opening.
8. Check to be certain that the two plastic ball stud grommets (3) are in good condition and properly installed in the quarter outer panel (2).
9. Position the rear lamp unit (4) to the lamp opening of the quarter outer panel.
10. Reconnect the three unibody wire harness connectors (1, 6 and 8) to the bulb socket connector receptacles on the back of the lamp housing.
11. Align the two ball studs on the outboard side of the lamp housing with the two grommets in the quarter outer panel.
CAUTION: Apply firm and even pressure to the rear lamp ONLY at the top and bottom of the unit. Applying pressure at the side or center of the lamp may result in damage to the lamp lens or reflector.
12. Using hand pressure, push firmly and evenly on the outboard top and bottom of the lamp until both ball studs snap into the grommets.
13. Install the two push pin fasteners (6) that secure the rear lamp unit to the side trough of the liftgate opening.
14. Reconnect the battery negative cable.
Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity
MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale
posts 68 & 69
Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick