Help: Check TPM system message - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Help: Check TPM system message

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
plunderisley

Help: Check TPM system message

I got a set of 4 new sensors for my compass as I bought winter tires a bit back and don't want to go to the Jeep dealer and pay them changing the sensors every season.
I had them install the new sensors in my all year tires yesterday.
Today i get a Check TPM system message every time I turn on the car. No low pressure light, and all 4 tires show the correct amount of air. There's no followup message, just when I turn it on, I get the message, it switches to the TPM screen and leaves it at that.
Any way I can fix this? Could it be that the car needs to reset to the new sensors? Or do I bring it back to the dealer for further inspection?

plunderisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I think Gramps will answer your question as he posted a complete description of the TPMS system at:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/tpm-sensors-741251/

I recently bought 4 aftermarket wheels without sensors for my winter tires just so I would not have to pay for mounting and balancing twice a year. I only tried one new wheel without a sensor on the Patriot and the TPMS system didn't complain at all. I don't understand why you would have 2 sets of sensors for only 4 wheels but maybe I misunderstood your post.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

From that thread:

IF NECESSARY - The following can be performed by your dealer or a service shop with the correct tools.
9. Perform one of the following to make the system learn the new sensor ID.
a. Use the TPM-RKE Analyzer, Special Tool 9936, with the Scan Tool to program the WCM/SKREEM with the tire pressure sensor ID. This is part of the TPM Diagnostic Verification Test.
b. Once the vehicle has remained stationary for more than 20 minutes, drive vehicle for a minimum of 10 minutes while maintaining a continuous speed above 15 mph (24 km/h). During this time, the system will learn the new sensor ID. This is part of the TPM Diagnostic Verification Test.
NOTE: If a sensor cannot be trained, refer to appropriate diagnostic information.

The dealer may be your only option. When these things work right, they're neat. When they don't or your trying to by-pass them they can be a real PITA!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
plunderisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
From that thread:

IF NECESSARY - The following can be performed by your dealer or a service shop with the correct tools.
9. Perform one of the following to make the system learn the new sensor ID.
a. Use the TPM-RKE Analyzer, Special Tool 9936, with the Scan Tool to program the WCM/SKREEM with the tire pressure sensor ID. This is part of the TPM Diagnostic Verification Test.
b. Once the vehicle has remained stationary for more than 20 minutes, drive vehicle for a minimum of 10 minutes while maintaining a continuous speed above 15 mph (24 km/h). During this time, the system will learn the new sensor ID. This is part of the TPM Diagnostic Verification Test.
NOTE: If a sensor cannot be trained, refer to appropriate diagnostic information.

The dealer may be your only option. When these things work right, they're neat. When they don't or your trying to by-pass them they can be a real PITA!
Hmm
Ill have to swing by the dealer then I guess.

And miketmx, its 2 sets for 8 tires (4 winter and 4 all season)
Unread 05-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

OK I got it; You have 8 wheels, 8 tires, and 8 sensors and will not have to pay for twice a year tire mounting and balancing on only one set of 4 wheels.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
plunderisley

Hmm.
After about 2 weeks it fixed itself. Now it seems to work. No error message, works like it should and didn't even take it into the dealer.
Unread 06-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That's the best news that I've had in the last week! Thanks for the feedback!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
plunderisley

The more I think about it, I think it took exactly 2 weeks to the date. I know theres no way I drove for the 10min drive over 15mph.. I don't think I ever did that in the city. Heck, a 2min or longer drive over 15mph is rare
I will report again when winter rolls around in a few months and I change tires again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.