HELP! ANNOYING SQUEEK from back end!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > HELP! ANNOYING SQUEEK from back end!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

HELP! ANNOYING SQUEEK from back end!!

SO i have had my 08 Riot with 31k for a few weeks now and i started to get squeeks coming from both sides (rear) but mainly on the passenger side. this will be hard to explain but i will try: It squeeks all the time not just over bumps but just driving on smooth roads without breaking it sees to be occur when the wheel goes around like squeek (pause) squeek (pause) and it gets faster when i accelerate Any idea !!!

By the way there are no modifications!!

Also my passenger seat squeeks when occupied (going to try to fix that in a few minutes) Thanks for the info on that from an old thread Gramps, Ill post how it goes!!!!!

armystrong68w is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Although you don't have enough mileage to make it seem like you need a brake job, you did get it used, right? No telling how the previous owner treated it. It could be the sensor on the rear pads (if equipped) making the squeak since it changes with revolutions. It could also be a warped rotor. Do you get a "shimmy" when braking from high speed? If it was a bearing it would be kind of a whoop, whoop noise.

Am I reading you right that the squeak stops when your on the brakes? If so, then I definitely would look at the brakes.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

Yeah i figured it was the breaks (Ebrake wont hold on a slight incline) I go in for an oil change in 1000mils (1 month or so) so ill have them take a look at all the breaks and rotars!

Could you estimate a cost for 4 breaks and rotors being replaced?

Btw took the wheel off to take a look and EVERYTHING was rusted especially the calipers And i mean like so rusted they started to expand. I figure my jeep was sitting for a good long while before i bought it (from a dealer)

Thanks for the help again!!

EDIT: ALSO do you know if the dealer can instal an EVIC into my 4x4sport? It already has the screen for it so i figure it would just be adding in or upgrading the computer. Because not having a trip computer and MPG calculator is a real "annoyance" Just a thought but it would be nice to know, Id rather not buy a stupid looking OBDII plug in dash mounted one!!!!!!

Last edited by armystrong68w; 01-06-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Unread 01-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here's the instructions on how to do your own Brake Job. If you do it yourself I'd allocate about an hour per wheel, some could cut that time in half, but your not on a time clock so just take your time.

I'd also take the easy way out and get the semi-loaded remanufactured calipers instead of rebuilding my own, less mess and they are guaranteed to work.

These prices are from NAPA ONLINE, They are not the cheapest place to buy parts but I've yet to have any problems with what they offer. There's also good parts available from Advanced Auto, O'Rielly's and Auto Zone and others. I don't normally buy from the dealers because of their cost structure AND their parts are made by outside vendors anyway. Just because it's not from the dealer means little to me as long as a name brand company has made it.

Loaded front caliper, ea - $57 w/bracket; $52.50 w/o.

There are 2 different rear calipers listed by casting numbers;
casting # 3502 - $47.50 w/bracket; $42.40 w/o
casting # 3503 - $82 w/bracket; $77.50 w/o

They show 2 different front rotors ranging in price from $44 - $51.50. Both appear to be 12 month warranty, don't know the difference so I'd go cheap

They show 2 different rear rotors too, from $34 - $37. I'd still go cheap.
Both of these are 10.31" diameter and the service manual calls these 14" because they fit inside 14" or larger wheels.

I'll mention this other one that they show although I've never heard of anyone having it and I don't know where it comes into the picture. It's called a 16" because it fits inside a 16" wheel (but then so does a 14", right?). Just measure your rotor to be safe. This one measures 11.89 diameter and costs $47.50

Last but not least are the disc brake pads. There is a multitude of selection on these: organic, ceramic and semi metallic. The factory used ceramic and those can be had for between $29 and $68 depending on warranty. How good of one that you get depends on your driving habits and how much you want to spend. The bottom line is that they all work, just some will last longer than others.

I don't have a clue as to what the flat rate manual calls for on the time to do the work and shop prices can range from $40/hr to $95/hr or more. This could be an easy one to call around and get some pricing locally on, tell them you need a brake job with calipers and rotors and go from there.

Good luck!!

Unread 01-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

Oh gosh, looks like my lift kit will have to wait now OH well brakes are inherently more important!! Thank you for all the detailed information!!!!

Regards,
Seth M.
Unread 01-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Any time, except when my 'net is down. I just got back on since my last post.

I'd take it in sections. If the fronts are working fine and there's still meat on the pads then just do the rears for now and wait until nicer weather to tackle the rest. You could find too that it's mostly surface rust that can be cleaned off with a wire brush once the calibers are unbolted and hung out of the way. Maybe just new rotors and pads will fix everything up. High heat, moisture and just sitting creates a lot of rust.

Unread 01-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

yeah you're right, the front seems ok for now! ill have to set aside time to take a better look!

*one more question If i were to buy a 2 1/8'' lift and add on 235/65/17 rims and tires would i have any problems with the fit IE rubbing on the wheel wells or anything other problems?
Unread 01-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Those are 29" tall and would be wonderful! The Firestone destination A/T's come in that size, ONE OF MY FAVORITES!! TireRack has 'em for $137 each but shop around. Some places will match the Tire Racks prices and will save the shipping but cost in local taxes. Some places also have deals on mount and balancing too and some will screw you.

Unread 01-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

wow thats not a bad price. My friend works at a tire shop so mounting and balancing is free!!!!! but with that size tires there shouldnt be any rubbing or problems with spacing right?
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I've got 235/60-18's on mine. They were 29.1" new, a bit less now. They barely rubbed on a full hard lock on the right side only but that quit after about 1000 miles. Really, those will work nicely!

Unread 01-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

Good to know!! Well then thats what i will do!! ill post pics when i get around to actually lifting it and buying the tires AKA spring or summer!!

Thanks again, and again!!
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Any trouble posting the pic let me know. It's best to use something like a "photobucket" hosting site.

We had those tires on my wife's old '03 Grand (WJ) and they were some of the best tires we've ever had. I'll get them for her '06 WK when I find some more money laying around

Tags
brakes , squeeking , suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.