help and advice wanted - Diesel, 6 Spd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > help and advice wanted - Diesel, 6 Spd

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 04-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
ever88

help and advice wanted - Diesel, 6 Spd

I've joined and read through some threads but the Jeep Patriot was my first new car and whilst I'm enjpoying certain aspects of it the new car experienece is being spoilt by a little fault that won't go away and the potential of a more serious one I would like adice on please.

Fault 1

suspension clunk/squeak from front.
been in on warranty twice with anti-roll bar bushes changed but it's back again. makes suspension feel worn/tired and not what you expect with 3k miles on it.

Fault 2

I suspect a transmission rattle/clunk
sound appeared to me today during light throttle take up of drive immediately after cruising in gear with no throttle.

since finding it I can now provoke the noise by making vehicle surge back and forth by modulating throttle lightly and I swear I think I heard it when coasting in neutral which made me even think velocity joints (inner) / differential.

I'm so worried that my dealer will grow tired of trying to fix what I see as fundamental faults and leave me with a faulty vehicle so I would like to assist with your comments on these faults to rectify asap. My own investigations consider that the engine does appear to move excessively on it's mounts when taking up drive having had the wife engage clutch repeatedly with bonnet up. (any thoughts)

I love the styling / the economy and road manners but if these faults continue I would not buy again or recommend at moment.

I have a 26 year old Porsche that feels taught as can be by comparison and it really pains me to say that given the cost difference.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

all the best

p.s
please excuse my European terminology

ever88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You terminology is fine, some of us understand the Queens English! and as always.

Fault 1; We have had reports of this kind of clunk turning out to be the Tie Rod Ends. Have those checked out.

Fault 2: Sound like you have a standard transmission. The petrol engine has a 5 speed that has had syncro ring problems due to poor vendor quality. What you are experiencing may be an early indication that leads to the problems covered by TSB 21-011-08.

Also Merlin may stop in and give us some help too.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
You terminology is fine, some of us understand the Queens English! and as always.

Fault 1; We have had reports of this kind of clunk turning out to be the Tie Rod Ends. Have those checked out.

Fault 2: Sound like you have a standard transmission. The petrol engine has a 5 speed that has had syncro ring problems due to poor vendor quality. What you are experiencing may be an early indication that leads to the problems covered by TSB 21-011-08.

Also Merlin may stop in and give us some help too.

Thanks, Gramps, I'm starting to get that clunk also.
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
ever88

the transmission I have is the 6 speed and it's a diesel if this clarifies.

I thought these were the VW bullet proof units?

thoughts anyone
Unread 04-20-2008, 04:05 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

We don't have the diesel available in the US so we have very little information. I've changed the title to your thread in hopes that it will attract Merlin's attention but he is on Holiday until the end of the month. merlinTec is a UK Chrysler Jeep Master Tech.

Unread 04-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
ever88

well the noise seems to be there more often now and is most noticeable when cruising in gear at low speeds as road noise makes it hard to detect.

I'm quite sickened now
Unread 04-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
merlinTec

Hi

Fault 1

Have seen a number of complaints for suspension noise and has been reported to the factory. There is a TSB for the rear 02-002-07 but if you can confirm it’s the front I would have started with front stabiliser bushes as well (probably just dry) did this fix it short term when they changed them? If so probably they just fitted new ones dry and I would try with some proper grease.
If not can you reproduce the noise with the dealer? If so I would get them to swap front shocks (complete with mounts) from a known good vehicle. Do they have a demo that you can drive to compare and swap bits from?

Fault 2

Again compare with the demo, are you sure its transmission? There is a software update for the engine for turbo over boost but this has helped starting issues/ misfires/ idle fluctuations that could help your fault.
As you have said you can now provoke it is it possible you are just provoking natural/characteristic noise? Have seen other gearbox issues but not what you describe it’s more engagement fault and I have not seen any drive shaft or CV issues.
Engine movement is a lot on this engine and is normal.
Don’t worry about upsetting a dealer if you have lost confidence and you can reproduce the fault and is considerably worse then the demo ask for a dealer technical visit.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 04-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Cheers Merlin and welcome back! I hope that you had a nice Holiday! Did you burn or tan?

Unread 05-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #9
merlinTec

Hi Gramps
Got a bit of a tan but not much and didn’t burn. I spent too much time doing stuff so I am shattered now and need another break to get over this one lol. Had a fantastic time would love to move over, great country and great people. Had a patriot for the 2 weeks I was there (had to stick with what I know lol) But didn’t like the MPG compared to the diesel I am used to. Give me a nudge on anything else I have missed.
Thanks,
Merlin

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.