Hella bumper lights like the rallye? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Hella bumper lights like the rallye?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Anewbigging

Hella bumper lights like the rallye?

I was looking to install a set of hella blackmagic driving lights on my black compass on the bumper like the rallye package. The lights have a single post that needs to be driven into/through (?) the bumper. Whats behind it? is it easy to access? Sturdy enough, seems like flimsy plastic to me and i dont want to do a shotty job.
thanks.

Anewbigging is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The "flimsy plastic" is just the fascia, the bumper is under that. Installing them with a nut and bolt could be a pita depending on how big your hands are or if you want to tread the holes but self tapping screws would be easy.

Notice the enclosed upper and lower channels on the backside of the bumper AND you may have to have yours re-programmed to the Rallye configuration. There are also wiring kits that are for "with or without DRL" available unless you want to run power streight from the battery. Don't try and tap in to existing wiring or you may confuse the TIPM.
co-fascia.jpg   efr-fascia-3-.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
Anewbigging

Great pic,, thanks

Where do you get the diagrams from? is there a online resource?
I am thinking I'll probably go with the kit that comes with the lights ie straight to the battery and to the ground, only problems with that is getting the switch through the fire wall and mounting an ugly switch.
Any thoughts.
Unread 03-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I have the spendy ($120) '07 Service Manual on CD. They have a hard copy out now for $350, you can order your own from here: http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html. The '08 MK SM is out now, hard copy only, OUCH, VERY SPENDY @ $335 . Good thing being a Mod pays the big bucks!

I would consider putting the switch over in the tray above the glove compartment. I'm sure you can find some place convenient in the firewall to run the wires.

Unread 03-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Anewbigging

350?

350$ yikes... way too much for me,, I'm a bit of a lighting guy so my plan is to go HID with the driving lights and 2 extra lights on the grill like the rallye package, although it looks like i'm going to have to find different driving lights as the ones i like (blackmagic hella) have a single post and it sounds like self taping screw mounts are the way to go. got any recomendations for good lights with the proper mounts?
thanks
Unread 03-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

They do have just the '07 MK wiring diagrams on CD for about $70. IE6 required.

Here's hoping that madrabbit will stop back in and give you his recommendation. He's more on top of "best" lighting than I am and maybe some others out there too.

Unread 03-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
madrabbitt

Well. your original idea of getting a separate set of quality lights, and installing them separate of the existing battery is probably the best idea, stupid can-bus systems.

The hella black magic kit does look cosmetically nice, and would look pretty awesome on the black compass.
Yes, its a single post mount, as are most larger lights, and yeah, removing the facia and drilling would be a PITA, but you really dont want to use self tapping screws to mount lights that big.

If your dealer has a rallye on the lot, you may want to go see how the lights mount to it. Maybe gramps has a picture of it. I suspect that theres some type of bracket that attatches to an existing sturdy mounting point, and extends thru the bumper to hold the lights.

I remember, a long time ago, buying a set of brackets from a parts store, that clipped, using tension screws, to the c-channel type bumper, and went thru the bumper, and terminated in a raised single hole, for mounting a stud mount light to a plastic bumper... but its been years since, and I dont remember where we got them.

I totally agree with using the black magic's though, they'd look really great on a black compass.

Gramps, in case you havent seen them, here are the lights we're talking about

It uses an internal set of black baffles against the reflector to have a blackout look when switched off.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the help!

Those could look pretty nice on a Red Compass, too.

Unread 03-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
madrabbitt

those black magic lights dont look bad on any color.

i wouldnt mind picking up a set for the WJ.

as of right now, i'm just moving over the FF500's from my push bumper... still not sure how i'm mounting them though

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Anewbigging

would you say these are much bigger then the set the rallye comes with? I dont want them to dwarf the front of the jeep. I think because of the weight i'm going to have to find a way to use the single post... possibly fabricate something on my own, i'd hate to give up on the black magics.
What are the bulbs in the stock driving lights? i've seen "9145/H10" but i dont get it, ive seen hid kits for h10 and 9145 but never both. whats the deal? should i search for a "9145/h10 hid conversion kit"? i'm planning on going through ebay.
Thanks
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
madrabbitt

i dont have a clue how big the rallye oem ones are.

Hella 500's are about 6-7 inches. 700's are about 8 inches. the black magics are 1000's. Figure at least 8 to 10 inches in diameter.

As for the driving lights, H10 and 9145 are the same bulb. The "H" designations for halogen filled bulbs are slightly differant then the 4 digit codes. the 4 digit codes are base (first two digits) and wattage (second two digits)

The h10 base is the same as the 90 and 91 series.

Its a 45 watt (halogen) bulb... however, its interchangable with any bulb in the 90 and 91 series...

As for hid, as long as the kit is designed to fit in a h10 base, you're good.

Unread 03-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
madrabbitt

oh, and ebay may not be the best bet for the hid kit. i'd stick with a reputable US seller.

First recommendation is http://www.hid-sin.com/ (i've never bought hid bulbs from them, but they sell the two brands that i use and recommend, and i've bought ALOT of led stuff from the same company... same company in AZ as www.superlumination.com )
Second is www.v-led.com BUT they do not stock H10 kits.

Unread 03-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Anewbigging

Reputable dealer would be my preference too, but I may take the risk and go with an ebay dealer with perfect feedback,, after all I could buy 4 cheap kits for the price of some of those other 'reputable' guys. I'll let you all know how it goes.
thanks
Unread 03-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #14
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

*runs outside in the cold rain*

Ok - FYI - The Rallye lights are 6" diameter

and the Hella Black Magics are 7 3/8"

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.