Headlight upgrades for Compass? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Headlight upgrades for Compass?

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 06-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #16
TheDon427

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM
I like mine, but I have of course different projectors and headlight shapes than you all... I highly recommend Sylvania Silverstars, they are much better than the old Wagners that were in my Wrangler originally. Caliber owners are having problems being bright lighted by drivers not used to such bright (er) lights.
Sylvania Silverstars tint their bulbs, which actually causes them to put out less light but the bluish light it puts out illuminates a little better. They give the appearance of being brighter but they are worse than stock.

Osram makes the reputable Silverstar line that most people buy. Those are much brighter than stock. I will probably go with either the Osram Silverstar bulbs or GE Nighthawk bulbs. I just have to find where to buy them.

TheDon427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #17
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Thats strange, mine might not be Sylvania then. they are definitely not blue! I'll check when I get home on Friday and let you guys know. I know they were a gift to me when they first came out, so maybe it was before the blue crap look became big? On another note, does anybody notice how some car manufacturers are using rediculously bright bulbs to make it easier for their drivers to see, but they are a hazard to anyone in oncoming traffic? I hate meeting a Nissan, and some Euro cars or having one behind me.
Unread 06-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #18
TheDon427

I'm not going to lie, back when I was in high school, I put in a set of Sylvania Silverstars because I read how everyone loved "Silverstars" and didn't look to see that two different companies produced a similar bulb. I loved them too because the light was whiter and gave an illusion of being brighter. However, they are tinted and put out less light. I will try to do a comparison of stock -vs- Osram or GE and let you all know how it works. I'll be sure to post pics as well.

The cars that blind you most likely have aftermarket HID's. It's a common problem where people are throwing HID bulbs in projectors that are not made for HID's which end up causing a terrible glare. Nobody bothers to go the extra mile and get the rest of the HID kit required to make it work PROPERLY. They just want it to WORK.
Unread 06-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #19
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon427
I'm not going to lie, back when I was in high school, I put in a set of Sylvania Silverstars because I read how everyone loved "Silverstars" and didn't look to see that two different companies produced a similar bulb. I loved them too because the light was whiter and gave an illusion of being brighter. However, they are tinted and put out less light. I will try to do a comparison of stock -vs- Osram or GE and let you all know how it works. I'll be sure to post pics as well.

The cars that blind you most likely have aftermarket HID's. It's a common problem where people are throwing HID bulbs in projectors that are not made for HID's which end up causing a terrible glare. Nobody bothers to go the extra mile and get the rest of the HID kit required to make it work PROPERLY. They just want it to WORK.
I realize that the aftermarket HID stuff sucks, thats why I haven't done it to my Cali yet, but nobody has made a suitable projector/housing for mine yet. The Nissans are stock that way, its terrible!
Unread 06-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #20
TheDon427

I'm trying to see if anyone has used this brand/vendor before

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EFX-8...32612118QQrdZ1
Unread 06-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #21
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon427
I'm trying to see if anyone has used this brand/vendor before

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EFX-8...32612118QQrdZ1
Those are 8000K. I'm confused again.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #22
eighteenwheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
That would account for the "terrible" vs "best stock" ratings. The daylight headlight system is a reduced power High Beam.

So eighteenwheeler, how do you rate them?
I don't know about the "best stock" ratings. My F150 shines better light than the compass, but it's also a few inches taller and a completely different vehicle. Over the weekend I drove about 50 miles along Ohio's east coast on windy roads at night, without other vehicles around for the most part, and I didn't even feel the need to use the high beams. I thought they had a pretty solid cover width, and were plenty bright. I might prefer to adjust them a tad bit higher. Never did I feel that they weren't sufficient, nor did I ever feel they were lacking in any way as far as brightness was concerned.

I think I just reiterated the same point 150 times, but I think the headlights are great
eighteenwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #23
TheDon427

They offer other kits. If you scroll down, you will see that they have a variety of different bulbs. I would get the 3600k (stock HID) bulbs. I think I will just play it safe and use a reputable brand/vendor such as Hella, Piaa, Osram, or GE.

Now, the bulbs will make a difference, but don't expect it to be daylight out. These are not HID's and the Compass has a crappy headlight housing to begin with. If it had projectors to begin with then maybe you could get away with an HID kit.

Remember, I know nothing about lighting and electrical. I'm just spitting out the little bits and pieces I've read while researching the topic. I could be wrong on some things.
Unread 06-05-2007, 02:32 AM   #24
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm addicted to these forums, since i've bought my Compass I can't stop checking in on here. Some interesting comments regarding the headlights, coincidently - when my girlfriend took the car out tonight, I didn't realise how bright the headlights actually are (on the receiving end).
mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 10:04 AM   #25
pszemia
2007 MK Compass 

teh best "temperature" for the HID headlights, are 4700ēK/5000ēK, they are the REAL xenon temperature that have all the car brands.

i bought a kit of h7 for my car, and it changed a lot.

but be careful, if you are planing to buy xenon, check that the bulb have separate halogen lamp, because they try to sell you "bi-xenon" kits but you will get a lag time when you flash the high beam and the light tottaly turn on, or kits that uses just one "lamp" and you loose your high beam.

also, you cant turn the light and turn it of quickly, you have to wait 3/4 seconds.

Greetings,

Ariel
pszemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #26
pillzny

I've considered HIDs and was only interested in the 6Kish bulbs which resembles the real ones the most but dont want to pay McCullough prices or get gypped with obvious cheapies. Instead I bought hyper white headlights and fogs for about $25 shipped from Ebay and am extremely happy. I've had people say they are as bright as HIDs. They're def not as bright but are way brighter than the stocks... in my opinion at least.
pillzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #27
TheDon427

I just ordered a pair of "Optilux H13 Bulb, 12V, 100/80W Optilux Xenon XP" from rallylights.com for $40 shipped. They should be here by Friday/Monday so I will be sure to update this thread with pics. The only possible issue is that they are a higher wattage and I should possibly add a relay.

Again, your lights may appear to be brighter but it is just the white or blue tint that makes it seem that way. Like one of those little LED key chains you can get for $1, up close they're super bright and cause you to squint, but 2 feet away and it doesn't shine on anything. Where as a regular flashlight does not have such a bright, white light, but lights up much more. You're being fooled into thinking it's brighter. Ever try putting in those "hyper white" reverse lights? I have, and when I was out of the car looking at them on I had to squint my eyes because the white light was so intense. However, when I got into the Jeep I could barely see anything when backing up. The stock lights were much better.
Unread 06-07-2007, 04:51 AM   #28
madrabbitt

I'm glad someone mentioned the diff between the Osram-made silverstars and the Sylvania-made silverstars.
Osram owns Sylvania, the US market ones are the ones that have a slight bluish tint to them. The actual osram ones a completely clear glass.
I installed the sylvania made ones on my dad's yukon on both high and low beam, there IS a noticiable brightness increase over stock lighting, and both he and my mom percieve the light to be "whiter" then the stock halogens.

And my parents are about gramp's age.

TheDon427: You dont want to swap relays on those 80/100. YOu're going to want to run a completely custom harness on them, preferably with ceramic bases. That'll keep you from overloading the stock wires, plus it'll give you the full effect of those bulbs.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE confirm headlight alignment after the install. Thats some bright light coming into oncoming traffic.

On the topic of headlight upgrades...
Replacing the entire reflector assembly with e-code's would work.
Ordering the euro spec part may be a hard concept for the dealer.

Like someone said. Make sure the headlights are actually ON and its not DRLS's that they're using.
Had a friend buy a used chevy car. Complained for 6 months that her headlights were too dim. One night i just happened to watch her get in the car and drive. Turns out, that she was pulling the thing out one click to get her running lights and gauge lights on. the "headlights" were actually the low wattage DRL high beam setting.

BTW. Hella's micro DE lights would tuck up under the airdam pretty well, and they put out an amazing amount of light for their size.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #29
TheDon427

OK, I just installed the new bulbs... I'm not very impressed by them at all. Seems to be the same light output with a bluish/white tint. Not what I had hoped for. Here's the comparison.

Stock bulbs...

and the new bulbs...

As you can see, not much difference at all. Installation took about 5 minutes which is the only positive thing. Oh well...
Unread 06-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #30
madrabbitt

are the bulbs clear or tinted?

can you post a picture of the package?

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.