Headlight upgrades for Compass? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Headlight upgrades for Compass?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-04-2007, 07:44 AM   #1
TheDon427

Headlight upgrades for Compass?

My father just bought a Limited Edition Compass recently and both my mother and father love it! The only complaint is that the headlights are terrible. If my father has to drive at night, he uses his 1998 Cherokee because the headlights are much better and my mother uses her 2001 Grand Cherokee.

This is the first "nice" Jeep my father has bought for himself because he travels over 100 miles a day to work and never wanted anything new that he wouldn't want to rack up the miles on. Now that he will be retiring soon, he bit the bullet and bought the Compass. Since they don't know anything about aftermarket parts and doing any work on vehicles yourself, I figured I'd surprise them with better headlights for the Compass. I haven't had a chance to look into what lights are currently in the vehicle and what my options are.

I would assume I could throw in a set of Osram Silverstar bulbs. Are there any actual kits out yet? Like a Hella/Piaa housing? Since I sold my Jeep almost 2 years ago and got a 2006 WRX, I haven't been on these boards that much... unfortunately. I really like it here, it's much friendlier than the clowns on Nasioc.com

If any of you ever want to have a laugh, visit the OT forums there. They're out of control!

TheDon427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
eighteenwheeler

Best bet is probably to hold out. More aftermarket options will probably be available once you get a few more compasses out there! Just replacing the bulbs with better ones would probably be a great temporary fix though!
eighteenwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Sorry, this one really throws me. These are some of the best stock headlights that I've ever had! I put some 9000K bulbs in the wife's '96 GC and she said that it was an improvement for it but mine were still better. She traded that in a month or so ago on a '03 GC and says that mine are still better.

How does everybody else rate their headlights?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
TheDon427

I have yet to drive it myself at night but both of them say that the headlights are terrible. I will have to take a look myself now that you say they're pretty good.

FYI, 9000k bulbs will put out less light than her stock bulbs did originally. Once you go above 4500K or so, the light seems "brighter" or bluer, but puts out less light. Like the cheezy Honda Civics cruising around with bright blue headlights... don't put out much light at all and are worse than stock. Take a look at www.DanielSternLighting.com for more information.
Unread 06-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks, that's good to know on the "color". I had heard something along those lines but couldn't find a good answer. The wife wanted "white" and these were listed as "Arctic White" so that's my reasoning for going to those. At least they weren't yellow and gave her better "perception"! I'm not trying to say that there isn't room for improvement for those who may want/need it, but for me they're great. Sounds like your parents are close to the same age bracket that the wife and I are in, 60 +/- 3 years. I'm curious to see what you think of them.

Good link, btw!

Unread 06-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
TheDon427

Not a problem. There is a balance between the color and the brightness of bulbs. The "bluer/whiter" means less light output but because of the color, it seems as if it is brighter but the light output is much less since there is a film/tint on the bulb in order to give it that color. Everyone wants the HID look so they go out and buy a set of blue bulbs, which is a mistake. Get a set of Osram Silverstars (I'm considering them now as well). They're popular in the Subaru community as well. The Sylvania Silverstars are tinted and put out much less light but have the "blue" look that most people look for. So when you go above 4500k, you're actually worse off than when you had your stock bulbs in.

Glad I could help!
Unread 06-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
snikr

I've driven the wifes Compass to work a few times while I was on 3rd shift (11 Pm till 7 AM) and I found I wanted a bit more brightness out of them (and we do have the driving/fog lights). Other than that things were fine, no worse than my Dakota pickup.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
TheDon427

What size bulbs come stock in the Compass? I'm just going to order a set of Osram Silverstars or GE Nighthawks as soon as I figure out which size bulb I need.
Unread 06-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon427
What size bulbs come stock in the Compass? I'm just going to order a set of Osram Silverstars or GE Nighthawks as soon as I figure out which size bulb I need.
Headlights - H13

Fog lights for those who want to know are 9145/H10.

Unread 06-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
TheDon427

It seems that Daniel Stern is on vacation until the 13th. Anyone know where I can order a set of H13 bulbs?
Unread 06-04-2007, 12:38 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'm not recommending eBay but it's a good place to browse. Quite a few listing there.

Unread 06-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #12
TheDon427

eh... I checked, it's a bunch of the "cool blue" and "hyper white" bulbs that are 12,000k and light the road like a keychain flashlight lol

I'm looking for either Osram Silverstar (not Sylvania) or GE Nighthawk.
Unread 06-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #13
eighteenwheeler

Alright... now I'm not trying to be mean, but when I first drove the compass at night, I didn't realize it did NOT have automatic lights like all my past cars have... I quickly realized this and turned on the lights.

Are you sure they aren't just driving at night with only the daytime running lights? Make sure they are actually turning on the lights.

That was the one big surprise for me when we chose the compass... but that could explain the problem!
eighteenwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenwheeler
Are you sure they aren't just driving at night with only the daytime running lights? Make sure they are actually turning on the lights.
That would account for the "terrible" vs "best stock" ratings. The daylight headlight system is a reduced power High Beam.

So eighteenwheeler, how do you rate them?

Unread 06-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #15
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I like mine, but I have of course different projectors and headlight shapes than you all... I highly recommend Sylvania Silverstars, they are much better than the old Wagners that were in my Wrangler originally. Caliber owners are having problems being bright lighted by drivers not used to such bright (er) lights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.