has anyone put a lift on their compass? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > has anyone put a lift on their compass?

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 07-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well that's all there was then and it's not like I had alot of choices. Something you should relate to wheeling a KJ, support can be limited. But being as condesending as some of these posts are it's not a very constructive way of making an opinion. Junk, cardboard really?????

UBJ's you mentioned in your previous post is that for upper ball joints? I know there are lowers but I can't remember seeing uppers (it has struts) other than the ones on the tie rod ends?

Your opinion is yours and that's fine but to rip on someone elses vehicle of what they have is well.............. tacky. I understand you prefer the coil option so tell it's positive side and not that what someone else has is junk. I guess that would be like someone comming over to the KJ site and doing the same. Just not cool.

I've taken plenty of crap about the Patriot all in fun and that's fine. Hell it's just my work vehicle and I don't even take it off road anymore.

White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeilis View Post
UBJ's you mentioned in your previous post is that for upper ball joints? I know there are lowers but I can't remember seeing uppers (has struts) other than the ones on the tie rod ends?
You are correct. Rear has upper (new provided by RRO) and lower links, and of course a toe link.

You name it, I've replaced it at least once. Some as early as 65,000 KM and all prior to lift. So it will remain to be seen if the lift has an adverse effect on these parts.

On that note. Can anyone explain to me how or why Stu's vs. RRO would be any more or less harsh on the components? In the very basic sense, you're still just jamming a taller strut in... only difference being, one has a much more robust spring (I'm assuming vs. OEM) - meaning some of these components could be working less??

It's a moot point for me now, but maybe somebody could benefit from this question
iamrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #18
egsox

The person to benefit would be me lol. Since I asked in the first place. But thanks for all the info guys. I at least have to two companies to look into.
egsox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrone View Post
You are correct. Rear has upper (new provided by RRO) and lower links, and of course a toe link.

You name it, I've replaced it at least once. Some as early as 65,000 KM and all prior to lift. So it will remain to be seen if the lift has an adverse effect on these parts.

On that note. Can anyone explain to me how or why Stu's vs. RRO would be any more or less harsh on the components? In the very basic sense, you're still just jamming a taller strut in... only difference being, one has a much more robust spring (I'm assuming vs. OEM) - meaning some of these components could be working less??

It's a moot point for me now, but maybe somebody could benefit from this question

Either one is going to be the same on the components at hand. The axle CV's and lower ball joints will have their angles changed from the stock position. One lift places a spacer above the Strut assembly and the other uses a new spring installed into the strut assembly. Neither lift changes the actual length of the strut but the RRO adds length to the top with the spacer. The Stu spring lift is a redesigned spring to make the strut not compress as much. Both lifts require the removal of the strut assemblies front and rear and an alignment is suggested after the install. A strut spring compressor is also needed to replace the springs with the Stu lift.

It's no secret that the MK's lower ball joints are a weak link and mine were replaced at 70,000 miles with the lift. But a lot of non-lifted Patriots have went out sooner so I would think neither lift changes the ball joint issues. I'm still having no problems with the axle CV's and put around 350 miles on each week. Every vehicle is different so maybe I've been lucky.

My opinion is both lifts work and it's up to you to read about others that HAVE both these lifts and make your choice.
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #20
Compass07
2007 MK Compass 

Lift kit for compass

http://www.rocky-road.com/index2.html

I used the lift kit from this company, not as easy to install as they say.
I took it in too Pedders and they were happy to install.
Compass07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 02:45 AM   #21
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I picked the RRO, as it keeps the stock ride quality and pretty easy to uninstall if needed to for any reason, and for 2011 and newer 4x4 patriots, it gives a 2" lift, where the stu only gives a 1" lift over the stock suspension (I have a FDII). If I towed a lot, i may go for the stiffer springs of the stu coils, but I simply don't. Some people on another "jeep patriot" site have had problems contacting the aussi company that sells them, so it might be that the RRO is the only option for now.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #22
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hope the lift works out for you as well as mine did, and I used to pretty active on the "other" site as well. I'm mostly on here now for the Wrangler I have. How are the Falken tires with your lift? I ran Yokohama Geolander AT's and they were ok but BFG also makes a 17" in their All Terrains that I wish I would have gotten instead. Cost at the time was the deciding factor though.
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #23
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

The spacer lift and the spring lift put the exact same wear on the suspension parts. Ball joints on chryslers is a known issue, and MK's have them fail with and without a lift.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My lift from RRO was the first one installed on a 4x4 MK, even their test mule was a FWD Patriot. The only issue I've ever had was the anti-sway bar link that they redesigned and replace for free very early on. RRO had many disgruntled customers over their lifts for some other Jeeps but the one for the MKs does the job.

For pictures of lifts you can always go to the sticky: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/l...ed-mks-697051/

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #25
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egsox View Post
The person to benefit would be me lol. Since I asked in the first place. But thanks for all the info guys. I at least have to two companies to look into.
Sorry, I was referring to you

I've logged about 18, 000 KM on mine now. The only other complaint I have was some early noise in the rear - squeaks over every bump. All remedied with some graphite lube - info thanks to a few threads on here and jeep patriot .com

Can't tell from your profile how many miles you have on, but if you yank the struts/springs, take a quick look at your strut mount - I regret not swapping mine out now, so noisy.

Good luck no matter which you pick! you can see there is a world of help here!
iamrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
egsox

I actually just bought it about a month ago. There is only 900 miles on it lol.
egsox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #27
Compass07
2007 MK Compass 

Hi, I used these guys, they deal specifically with jeep products
I purchased the 2" lift kit for my 2007 Compass, have had no problems
Fitted standard Monroe Sensa trac suspension with the supplied springs
Great aftermarket assistance
http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au
Compass07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.