H.I.D Light issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > H.I.D Light issue

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
srtdodge05
2011 MK Patriot 

H.I.D Light issue

I had some H.I.D lights installed and having a issue with them. They seem to flicker and cant figure it out. The installed tried two different ballasts and different bulbs and they still flicker.

srtdodge05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Put back in the correct halogen bulbs and problems solved(and legal).
Unread 01-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Put back in the correct halogen bulbs and problems solved(and legal).
and safer. hallogen headlights are not designed to emit a legal or safe beam pattern. take them out and throw them away. don't sell them to someone else, throw them away. selling them will only allow a dangerous beam pattern to show up in someone else's car.

to answer your question, the computer in your car is more advanced than anything you've had before. it is sensing the change in voltage and is causing the problems. there is no simple way to hook HIDs up into a compass/patriot.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
srtdodge05
2011 MK Patriot 

Problem fixed for the flicker in the lights. I got a different brand bulbs and the problem is gone.
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtdodge05 View Post
Problem fixed for the flicker in the lights. I got a different brand bulbs and the problem is gone.
doubt it, the flicker will still happen, it just might not be as frequent. i know what the fix is, and it isn't that.

do everyone else a favor and get rid of them. here is a very good read as to why HIDs are not a good (or legal) idea to have in your car:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
srtdodge05
2011 MK Patriot 

After 2 days of being replaced not one flicker. I had the Sylvania bulbs before but weren't bright enough.
Unread 01-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
After 2 days of being replaced not one flicker. I had the Sylvania bulbs before but weren't bright enough.
that fact not withstanding, read the article i posted above. you're hurting yourself more than you think you're helping yourself.
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Photolithic

In order to "propery" install HID lamps in your vehicle, electrically speaking, is to put resistors inline with the headlight wiring to bring the voltage down to a level accepted by the computer. However, your lamp housing is not designed for HID lamps. The position of the arc, what would be a filament in a standard bulb would be positioned incorrectly for your lamp housing. The result, a lot of blinded and pissed off drivers infront of you.
Photolithic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photolithic View Post
However, your lamp housing is not designed for HID lamps. The position of the arc, what would be a filament in a standard bulb would be positioned incorrectly for your lamp housing. The result, a lot of blinded and pissed off drivers infront of you.
right

Quote:
In order to "propery" install HID lamps in your vehicle, electrically speaking, is to put resistors inline with the headlight wiring to bring the voltage down to a level accepted by the computer.
not right. it needs to be a relay system.
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Photolithic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
right

not right. it needs to be a relay system.
Probably that too, but previous installers have made use of resistors to solve the problem, more than likely in concert with relays. A few guys on the "other" jeep patriot forums have "how toooos".
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
srtdodge05
2011 MK Patriot 

The problem I had was defective bulbs he used. Ordered a new set and problem was gone. He installed a relay pack that worked great. The 8000k he install has a low/high beam. I don't like how blue they are so going with some 6000k that is more of a white light. This is my third car with H.I.D lights and never been flashed from having them.
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
The problem I had was defective bulbs he used. Ordered a new set and problem was gone. He installed a relay pack that worked great. The 8000k he install has a low/high beam. I don't like how blue they are so going with some 6000k that is more of a white light. This is my third car with H.I.D lights and never been flashed from having them.
Does not mean your not blinding oncoming traffic or being a jacka$$ to others and there safety.

High beam HID's are illegal no matter what.The vehicles that come with low/high beam HID's just re-aim the low beam for high beam function so not a true low/high beam.
Unread 01-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Photolithic

My Mini S has HID lights, and I love them. Provided, they auto aim themselves to the correct position. If you really can't live without them...perhaps a projector retrofit designed for HID bulbs??? I've seen some pretty nice ones in my VWing days lol. May look kinda goofy in the patriots round headlight housing though lol.
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
My Mini S has HID lights, and I love them. Provided, they auto aim themselves to the correct position. If you really can't live without them...perhaps a projector retrofit designed for HID bulbs??? I've seen some pretty nice ones in my VWing days lol. May look kinda goofy in the patriots round headlight housing though lol.
that's the only way to safely do HID lights. your car is different because it came with them from the factory. your housings are meant to emit a proper beam pattern. the danger comes when you try and replace a hallogen bulb with an HID bulb. it's like putting on someone else's glasses and expecting better vision.

OP, please read the article i posted above. there are several reasons that HID retrofitted lights are not safe. for one, you actually see better with the hallogen bulbs you had before

Quote:
Originally Posted by your response
no i don't, i see hella better now than i did before!
yes, you can. hids are very bright, yes, but the retrofits don't put that light where it belongs. you can see better directly in front of the car, but your vision at a distance (where it matters) is hindered for two reasons: one, the light isn't properly aimed, and two, your eyes are focused on the bright light right in front, hindering your ability to see.

regardless of how many cars you've had HIDs in, it's never a good idea to put them in cars that don't have them from the factory. like i said, read the article i posted above. it has test results the government did on these kits, and shows a computerized beam pattern of three cars, clearly showing why they're unsafe and illegal.

bottom line: they're a bad idea, and the only people that buy them are the ones uninformed to their danger. it's people like me and Photolithic that try and educate people to get these pieces of garbage off the roads.
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
General_Jeep
1994 ZJ 

Some people over at the ZJ side are starting to do HID projector retrofits because our ZJ's stock housing suck arse. I am planing on doing one of those swaps because I can't see anything in that Jeep. My Patriot with silver stars is quite impressive beating out my dads Merc GL with projectors.
2005 Nissan Titan - Hauler

"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!" - Enzo Ferrari
General_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.