Goodyear Wrangler Tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Goodyear Wrangler Tires

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
jeepguy2010
2010 MK Compass 

Goodyear Wrangler Tires

Ok everyone, here the deal, I'm gunna be getting new tires on my 2010 and wanted to find out what your experiences have been with Goodyear Wranglers on an MK have been. I need something that will do really well in our bad winters here in NW PA. Thanks in advance!

jeepguy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

If you can find the right size go with the Goodyear Duratracs
I hardly use 4 wheel drive with them since they go so well in snow.
Plus with over 61,000 miles on them so far they wear good as well
Not sure what size you have or if they cover your sizes but great tires
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
jacko15
2014 WK 

The Firestone Affinity tires that came stock on ours worked so well in the snow that we replaced them with the same thing when we needed new tires last year. We get lots of lake effect snow here. It's not the north pole, but a foot of snow is not uncommon. And these tires are quiet and handle well on dry pavement too.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Discovery
2007 WK 

I had duratracks on my suburban but on the mk I think the road noise would be an issue??

So how is the road noise?? I was thinking about the Nokian WR2's.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy2010 View Post
Ok everyone, here the deal, I'm gunna be getting new tires on my 2010 and wanted to find out what your experiences have been with Goodyear Wranglers on an MK have been. I need something that will do really well in our bad winters here in NW PA. Thanks in advance!
Which wrangler tires? there are 13 different models of wrangler tires sold by good year.

what size are you looking for?

I have falken Rocky mountains, I've driven in snow, and they've done quite well.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
jeepguy2010
2010 MK Compass 

I'm not sure how many of those 13 types fit the MK. The tire size is 215 65 17. Tire Rack only showed the SR-A as the only ones that fit. I heard that the Goodyear Territory will fit too. The Firestone Affinities didn't do bad, kinda seemed like the stability side to side wasn't great tho, the rear end would come around kinda easy.
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #7
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I had the SR-A's and chewed them up the first time I went out off roading, and I drove them on a snowy road that was plowed, and so was icy, and I didn't like the traction they gave me. they are a stock tire for the patriot if you get the OWL tires. If all you do is street driving, they are ok, a bit noisy.

I highly recommend going with an AT tire, like the yokohama geolander AT/S, they come in stock tires, and if you go up a size to 225/65-17, they fit just fine with no rubbing and are quieter, and will be a better tire over all.
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
jeepguy2010
2010 MK Compass 

I have thought about an A/T tire, but some have said that A/T tires are no good either. I can't say either way because I have never had any A/T tires on any vehicle. What are some opinions on that kind of tire?
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

AT tires are stronger, have better traction in all conditions, and are better built, because they have to withstand a lot of beatings.

Trade offs are that they are a little noiser on the road (depends on the tire) are a little heavier (because they usually have more belts in them).

I MUCH prefer AT tires on an suv/truck. some at tires like the yokohamas are not even that much louder than a regular street tire, but give you much better traction and durability.
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
jeepguy2010
2010 MK Compass 

Thanks for the info @aroundincircles. What about mileage? How many miles can someone expect out of A/T tires? I know it depends on how you use them, but just as an average estimate, what would you say?
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Most ATs are "street" tires
streets that are already plowed in the winter, etc .
I've ran the Friestone Destination ATs, Kumho KL78s and others and if i want good tires overall won't go back to them
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy2010 View Post
Thanks for the info @aroundincircles. What about mileage? How many miles can someone expect out of A/T tires? I know it depends on how you use them, but just as an average estimate, what would you say?
that is something you would have to look up. My falkens are rated for 50k, but there is no way I will get that out of them. Between off roading and a bad alignment I had for a while, I will be happy to get 30k. But that is not the tires fault, I am really hard on tires...
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
SgtMac
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have the SR-A 17 inch, this is my second set, I'm not buying a third set, I'm not happy with the wear. The next set will be something that will hold up longer, if I need to go on heavy trails I will drive my Wrangler.
SgtMac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

I don't think the OP needs AT's unless he/she off roads. Just not worth the extra noise, MPG loss, and expense to buy them for an on road DD not to mention shorter tread life. A quality all season like the Firestone Destination LE2's I am running will do just fine in any winter weather situation PA can throw at him/her.

I am not talking car tires here but true light truck/suv class all season tires with good tread patterns. Will require upsizing a bit over the stock size but well worth it. I definitely would NOT get a Goodforayear tire either. 99% of the tires they sell are JUNK and the few they sell that are decent are way over priced.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #15
jeepguy2010
2010 MK Compass 

Ok, so if not goodyear tires then what other kinds are good that are moderately price. Ones that others have been impressed with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.