Going shopping today. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Going shopping today.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Going shopping today.

So going to the dealer this afternoon after I finish the pickup shift I grabbed for the holiday (double time and a half for working 4 hours on a monday? Heck yes!)

I have a hard set rule, 335/month. If they take my wife's car in trade! I hate to get rid of her Saab but when it brakes, the parts take me 2 weeks to get and are pretty expensive, and after the last rain storm down here, wife wants something that we can drive out on the dirt roads.

Looking at a 2012 silver pat, sport with aircon, upgraded sound system and of course trail rated.

I think msrp is 22k-ish, advertised for 18k, so I figure the payment I want is pretty aggressive. Especially since I know i'm upside down on the Saab (wasn't till they went bankrupt, then the value of my car plumited.)

Wish me luck!

aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Wait so you're saying I can find a good deal on a late model Saab??? :runs over to cars.com:
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

My brother just bought an 08 9-5 aero with 40k on the clock for 14 grand. He lives close to a really good dealer. The dealer close to me is horrid...
Unread 09-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Wow that is cheap. I wNt a 08 or 09 9-3 Aero X. The Turbo V6 Wagon one.
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

That would pretty awesome.
Unread 09-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #6
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

If I had a Saab I'd be doing anything possible to get rid of it if I could get decent money for it. With zero new parts arriving from Sweden for the forseeable future, the resale on these will soon plummet. I've sent two to the scrapyard in the last few months simply because there were no parts to repair them, even for minor collision damage. No bumpers. No headlamps. No fenders. None. Zero. They are the Yugo of the decade.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I thought GM or Saab promised parts would be continuously available?
Unread 09-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
I thought GM or Saab promised parts would be continuously available?
nope, they washed their hands of them. not standing behind the warranties either. i have a pre-owned 95 that we can't unload because the banks won't finance it.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Wow. Good to know. I thought they had to by law.

And they say Saab owners are the smartest of all car owners...
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Saab parts is still a thriving company spun off during the bankruptcy... I've had to repair a few saabs ( I do it on the side) and I've had no problem getting parts, I just have to order them from UK companies, and have to be willing to wait. The biggest problem is fear, Just like any other disaster, I know a ton of people/shops etc started stocking up on parts, and bought out the US inventory. Plus after market makers are starting to pick up the slack. The problem would be with the NG 9-5's they made a very small quantity of those, so not a high demand for parts. The old 9-5's though were made from 98-09, so an 11 year run of basically the same car.

http://www.saabsunited.com/2012/09/p...from-spna.html

+ SAAB has a new owner NEVS that has already started to get saab factory workers back on the floor preparing to build new cars. But what I really want to know is what Victor will do once he wins his case against GM (or settles). If he will put that money back into saab, or what. I know he will win because GM did everything they could to keep SAAB from competing with buick in china (buicks are basically rebaged saabs, in all but skin and interior, designed by saab engineers) and broke basically all of their contracts.
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Which Buicks share Saab underpinnings? I've liked a few recent Buicks. Regal and Lacrosse aren't bad, and the Verano is cool except it sounds like a Suzuki name.
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #12
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

I do have empathy for unsuspecting folks who bought a doomed vehicle brand. Unfortunately, if it's an insurance claim that is keeping your car off the road, we won't much care about the parts distribution's best intentions. If the parts on on intergalactic back order, and with rental car charges at $30/day and upward, we insurers aren't going to sit around waiting. It's a faster resolution, and likely cheaper, to total the car and move on. The owners I have dealt with, sadly unaware of Saab having gone the way of the dodo, when advised of the current situation are generally quite satisfied having their car dispatched to the salvage auction and replaced with something else. I think there is currently a narrow window of opportunity for owners to get a good price for their car before the word really gets out and values plummet. A small handful of brand fanatics aside, these cars are not owned by the Saab owners of yesteryear that drove 900s. The bulk of people driving modern Saabs bought them as just another car, and will be just as happy driving a Volvo, Acura, etc. GM did such a wonderful job of diluting the brand that it alienated a lot of traditional owners (and having worked for a stand-alone Saab dealer for several years, I got to know the demographic of the typical buyer quite well).

If I owned a late model Saab, I would sell it TODAY. Older ones, not so critical. Lots of them in the salvage yards.

I tell all my customers to avoid them on the used car market. There's no way of knowing if it will be like Daewoo (eventual parts supply) or Daihatsu (good luck getting parts for those). Not a game I'd want to play with the item I need to get to work every day.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

The Lacrosse is a 9-5 under the skin and a regal is based of the 9-3 platform, and the verano is a chevy cruze.

I agree, right now the situration looks bleak, but its getting better. there is hope on the horizon. but the value of my saab went from about 18k in feb, to about 9k (private party kbb resale) today. and I understand why. I could almost part out my car for twice of what it is worth...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.