Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Girlfriend Wants to buy 08 MK...Help!

732 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  rjerome 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I drive a TJ but the girlfriend wants a jeep and is looking at an 08 Patriot, so talk me into it!

I've been reading around in this forum about them, but I'd like to hear first hand about how capable they are and what you like about your MK.

What kind of mileage do you get?

I'm also a little hazy on the AWD/Traction control. I have read the thread by Gramps on how the system works, and I get that. The one she wants is a FWD, and I wasn't sure if the front wheel drive can be had WITHOUT any form of the FDI or FDII, or if all MKs have at least FDI.

If there is a version that has zero traction control, is it worthless? Anybody that has one and likes it? She's not gonna be pulling trailers or offroading with me (well, maybe a little if it can handle it), but she would like something capable and safe for our Michigan winters to get her to work in the snow.

Here's one she's considering: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/ctd/2403941610.html

Any other thoughts on it?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
There is the FWD, FD I, and FD II. They all have ESP (Electronic Stability Programming) but only the FD I & FD II have the electronic coupling for the rear axle. The FWD has a tag axle like other front wheel drive systems. They all also have the anti-lock brakes, brake boost and other things that are part of the ESP.

We have others with the FWD that do just fine even in Michigan. MPG is a little higher on the FWD than the others and the 5 speed does a little better than the CVT. Maybe two to three MPG between each of those just mentioned.

I always recommend better tires and then a lift kit and an engine skid plate depending on how much and what kind of off roading you intend to do.

#3 ·
I have an 09 jeep patriot sport 4x4 automatic and I have taken this thing four wheeling all the time.... If she is after the freedom drive 2 model, tow hooks, skid plates, low range go for it. I get 23mpg average so little less town and more highway. google j33ppatriot . com (with real letters) and look at my profile jloffermann for me. you'll see tons of off road pics and tons of really nice mods, bigger tires, there are two lift kits, a strut spacer by Rocky road outfitters and coils by murchison products both 2in lift. trust me for your girlfriend it will work out nicely.

#4 ·
We have an 09 northern ed 4x4 all stock (graduate student so all my money is tied up) but it fits our family needs from driving around the city ($50.00) to fill up from empty will get us about 2 weeks of driving before filling up again, highway from Thunder Bay ON to Minneapolis MN 1 tank driving the speed limit. It'll never be a hardcore trail beast without some mods but that has to wait till graduation but it gets us out into the back-country, our Patriot handles great in the snow handles highway driving well...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.