getting rear wheel bearing off of parking brake shroud - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > getting rear wheel bearing off of parking brake shroud

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
chevrier
2005 TJ Wrangler 

getting rear wheel bearing off of parking brake shroud

2007 Pat Limited...trying to replace rear wheel bearing....got everything unbolted...parking brake shroud is still attached to wheel bearing...it looks pressed in...is it? And if it isn't, how do you get it out? Oh...it is a AWD with CVT

chevrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Blk01WJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevrier View Post
2007 Pat Limited...trying to replace rear wheel bearing....got everything unbolted...parking brake shroud is still attached to wheel bearing...it looks pressed in...is it? And if it isn't, how do you get it out? Oh...it is a AWD with CVT
Hello,

I don't have FSM but if you go to this site Makeitjeepparts.com (parts site) and look up "Hub" and look at the illistration it shows them as to sepperate pieces. I am currently replacing the rear wheel bearings on my wifes patriot. I hate this car.
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
bmarshall

What was the Outcome???

Has anyone figured this out. I'm now working on a 2008 Jeep Compass 4WD, I have the brake rotor off, popped the CV Joint nut off, I unbolted the 4 bolts in the back and using a pully puller, I popped the CV axle out, I too have the parking brake assembly attached to the wheel bearing hub, and can not find a way to split them up. If anyone has any advise, I'm wiling to try anything by now.
bmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The FSM doesn't show a separate parking brake shroud/assembly clearly at all. Did you unclip the wheel speed sensor head from the retainer on the rear of the hub and bearing ?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
TeHpWNaG3
2007 MK Patriot 

Would be nice to have some clarity on this issue as I am about to replace both rear hub/bearing assemblies. After going through the rigor of finding out that JEEP classifies these hubs as brake parts and therefore not under powertrain warranty, I will have to replace them myself.
TeHpWNaG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
TeHpWNaG3
2007 MK Patriot 

UPDATE:

I have found information pertaining to the parking brake backer and the hub bearing assembly. Apparently, these two parts corrode together and have to be persuaded to come apart. They are not pressed together.

I think I will use a 3lb drilling hammer to knock the old hub off, if necessary, and use a wire brush to clean the mating surfaces before installing the new hub.
Unread 05-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
TeHpWNaG3
2007 MK Patriot 

This past weekend I replaced both rear wheel hub/bearing assemblies. The first one took about 2.5 hours, the second one about an hour. The reason for the time difference was familiarizing myself as to what had to be done to remove the old bearing. Follow the FSM instructions along with my suggestions.

This job isn't as easy as the FSM would lead you to believe, at least in my case. Years of rusting made the job so much harder that if I wasn't adventurous, I would have had a shop do it. If you've worked on suspensions before, like I have, this job should hold no surprises for you.

You are going to need the right tools. I’ve seen some people claim that the axle nut requires a 34mm socket. Mine was 32mm, and I used a DEEP impact socket along with a 1,000ft.lb impact wrench (it needed every bit of that torque, too!). The four 17mm bolts on the trailing arm required a universal joint and various lengths of extensions or else you will have to remove the rear shock/strut or you may end up rounding the bolt heads. There just wasn’t much room to get an impact wrench in there, so I needed these accessories. I had impact-rated tools for all of this, so keep that in mind.

Let's begin with some special tips.

1.) My half shaft/axle threads were so corroded that the cotter pin and retainer were unrecognizable. I carefully chipped away at them to remove the bulk of the rust and hardware pieces while being mindful of the threads. 2.) I used a large flat blade screwdriver to gently pry against the two top bolts and the sensor finger tabs (they look like a "T"). Go slow and easy on each side, little by little, and it will come out no problem. My hands are too big to fit in that confined area, so I used a screwdriver. Tuck this connector safely out of the way. 3.) On the new hub, you may want to test fit the sensor clip. Mine had to be spread open a little to fit the connector. Doing this before final assembly will save some time and aggravation. 4.) I recommend spraying the hardware (careful of the brake system surfaces) in rust penetrant for about a week. On a newer vehicle not in the rust belt, the FSM instructions might have been very easy to execute, but not so in my case. It required a big hammer.

And here we go…

After removing the wheel speed sensor connection, the axle nut, and the four trailing arm bolts, the hub wouldn't budge at all. The FSM says to remove the bottom brake caliper bolt and tilt the caliper out of the way. I removed the entire caliper and hung it out of the way (had to). Remove the rotor. I then took my 3lb drilling hammer and rapped on the front and rear of the brake caliper bosses, rocking the assembly back and forth away from the trailing arm, until the hub/parking brake assembly broke free of the corrosion. It didn't take a lot of force to do this, and you don't want to deform the caliper bracket. I just made sure I held onto the brake backing plate so when it did break free, the parking brake cable wouldn't be stressed when the entire assembly dropped (the half shaft should still hold it somewhat). Pull the assembly off of the half shaft and keep it supported. This next part made me cringe because there was no going back. While holding the parking brake backing plate with one hand, I pounded out the hub from the rear with my 3lb hammer. This took some doing and I'm sure the wheel speed sensor area on the old hub was destroyed, but the hub dropped out.

I cleaned the rust off of all the mating surfaces with a wire brush and an oily rag. To install the new hub you will have to support the parking brake assembly and hub together while getting the four bolts started after placing these parts over the half shaft. Be sure the speed sensor clip is oriented toward the top. You could also thread on the axle nut to keep everything together for this step, but mine was too corroded to do this easily. It is a little tricky to get everything lined up for the bolts, but it comes together with some patience and finesse. Before tightening the four bolts, be sure the hub is properly nested in the bracket recess and everything is squared up. You’ll know what I mean when you see it. Tighten the four bolts a little at a time going in a cross pattern. If the parking brake cable ferrule pulled out of the trailing arm, seat that back in there to protect the cable.

Follow the FSM torque schedule and be sure everything was re-assembled properly before a test drive.

I'll do my best to answer questions.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.