Geolandar ATS or Rocky Mountain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Geolandar ATS or Rocky Mountain

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 07-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
BostonStrong
2013 MK Patriot 

Geolandar ATS or Rocky Mountain

I'm thinking of improving my Patriot's performance off road. I have an FD1 Patriot so tires would greatly help it's prowess at the beach, woods, and in the snow for sure. Right now it has the Firestone Affinity tires and while they've been okay I'm sure the Jeep can do much better with different shoes. Anyone have any suggestions? I want something aggressive yet reliable and safe in all weather. I was thinking about the Geolandar AT-S or the Rocky Mountain ATS by Falken.

BostonStrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I don't have any experience with the yokohamas so have no opinion on them either way, BUT I would shy away from the falkens.

I had them for about 12k miles, and They are GREAT off road, and hold up well to a beating, and can be aired down pretty low as they have a very strong sidewall, and they didn't chip or chunck or get any cracking or splits of any kind. they looked almost brand new after many off road trips...

BUT, and its a big one. the sipings and grooves only go down half way through the tread, so when you still have half your tread life left, you basically have 5 slick sections:
http://www.tire-art.com/1700/0810/9790/754505.jpg
They get noisy, they start to handle poorly, they loose their off road traction that they had previously. I simply could not recommend them to anyone.

are you thinking of sticking with your stock rims? do you have 17" or 16" rims? spacers?

I have a set of hercules all trac's really like them, but not available in a 17" size. they do sell their terra trac in a 235/65-17 if you have the 17" rim. The yokohamas get great reviews by people and I've seen them driven off road a few times on other 4x4's and they seem to hold up (but don't look as aggressive) so there are other options out there for sure.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
BostonStrong
2013 MK Patriot 

Thanks for the heads up on the falkens. I'm going to stick with my stock 17's. Someday I MAY try out the RRO lift but for now I'm going to stay stock. My affinities are 215 not 235 but you thing I'll be okay with Geolandar or Terra Tracs in 235?
Unread 07-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Some people have had success some have had rubbing, each tire is different. Most places will test fit a tire for you

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
1990JPYJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just picked up a set of Geo A/T-s 225/65R17's. They ride nice on the road haven't tested off-road yet. I looked at going between the 225 & 235's, found that more people had rubbing then not.
Unread 08-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
TeHpWNaG3
2007 MK Patriot 

I have 225 Geolanders and they work well. Not sure if the 235 will rub on full lockout, but I played it safe going to Tire Rack online for the tires.
TeHpWNaG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Mtny
2013 MK Patriot 

I've had 225 Geolanders (no lift and no rubbing) for about 9000 miles now with a good mix of highway and dirt roads/light trails. I have no complaints about them at all, traction is very good in the snow and the road noise is pretty minimal. This is what the 225 Geolanders look like on my pat
Mtny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 01:35 AM   #8
BostonStrong
2013 MK Patriot 

Finally! An FDI Patriot w/ Geo ATS in 225 !! You have no idea how long I've been looking for a photo reference on this! Thank you!
Unread 08-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Mtny
2013 MK Patriot 

You're welcome
Mtny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.