General Questions about the Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > General Questions about the Compass

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
MsIrisMG

Hello!

Hello all! I really don't have anything technical to discuss, but I'm interested in test-driving a 2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 that CarMax has, and I would appreciate some feedback from owners, so I registered so that I could ask some questions.

First, a few responses back someone mentioned they prefer 4x2 to 4x4 because they've had nothing but trouble from Chrysler transfer cases. Is this a red flag to stay away from 4x4 Compasses?? I really like the color of this particular one, and the fact that it has leather seats and seat warmer, but the reason I haven't bought anything but Toyota for the last 20 years is I don't want to run in to mechanical problems I shouldn't be having. If you who own them didn't have the warranty to fall back on, would you still buy the car? In other words, how would you rate its build quality?

I'm going to leave it there for now and see what kind of answers I get. I may have to chicken out of even going to see it - but since RAV4 got so big, this little Compass would be the perfect size for me, and it would be a shame.

Thanks again, and once again, hello and pleased to meet you all!

MsIrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The MK's don't use a transfer case, it's an electrically activated coupler. No problems here after 40K miles. My full write up is here Compass Owner Review. Just some picky little anomalies on mine that always seemed to get resolved.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
MsIrisMG

Hi and thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
The MK's don't use a transfer case, it's an electrically activated coupler. No problems here after 40K miles. My full write up is here Compass Owner Review. Just some picky little anomalies on mine that always seemed to get resolved.
Hi Bob, thanks for answering, much appreciated. Yours is a year earlier than the one I was going to go look at. That's a relief about the 4WD, I suppose the earlier post confused me.

Could you please elaborate on what you meant by "anomaly"? I know the meaning of the word (quirks), but what specifically aren't getting fixed to your satisfaction?

Also, on your model car, when the gate door is ajar, does it tell you so on the dashboard? I was sitting in an '09 one Sunday at the dealer (a Sport) and noticed that one tells you when the liftgate wasn't closed good, it says "GATE" in blue letters.

Wish I could get this forum to tell me when someone posts a reply...
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsIrisMG View Post
Hi Bob, thanks for answering, much appreciated. Yours is a year earlier than the one I was going to go look at. That's a relief about the 4WD, I suppose the earlier post confused me.

Could you please elaborate on what you meant by "anomaly"? I know the meaning of the word (quirks), but what specifically aren't getting fixed to your satisfaction?
The things that come to mind are really rather immaterial to me and most were just a one time occurrence.

MIL (check engine light ) came on and I could find no fault. I ran it for 3/4 days, filled up and it finally went off. Since checking to make sure that the gas cap was on correctly was done I "guess" that it may have been bad fuel. The same thing has happened to others, including my wife's '03 grand Cherokee, no fault found and the light finally went off after a tank or two of gas. Unless the light flashes there is no major problem that will get you stranded.

My left steering wheel Audio Control quit working correctly - replaced under warranty.

Lug nuts were put on too tight by dealership and I stripped one while trying to change a flat - dealer problem not the Jeeps.

Gas mileage dropped considerably (down to about 17mpg) right after about 30K miles. I pulled the battery cables off and let the computer reset itself several times over the next 1-2K miles and eventually the mpg came back up to a reasonable level and no problems since.

I've had it in to the dealer twice for the Cruise Control not working and it is still intermittent. There are several folks on the forum who have installed their own and it's not really very hard. Eventually I'll pull the steering wheel off and take a look at it myself. I don't think that the "clockspring" is making good contact.

Just little picky things, nothing alarming. I may have forgotten a couple of things but they just weren't important enough to retain.

Quote:
Also, on your model car, when the gate door is ajar, does it tell you so on the dashboard? I was sitting in an '09 one Sunday at the dealer (a Sport) and noticed that one tells you when the lift gate wasn't closed good, it says "GATE" in blue letters.
Yes, it tells you that the Doors and Gate are AJAR and if you get the Drivers Convenience Group it will also tell you Outside Temp, Tire pressures, AVG MPG and many other things.

Quote:
Wish I could get this forum to tell me when someone posts a reply...
Thread Subscription: Open the menu "Quick Links" near the top of the forum and click on "Edit Option". You will find these options in the second box down. Change them according to your preferences.

Unread 01-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
MsIrisMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
The things that come to mind are really rather immaterial to me and most were just a one time occurrence.

MIL (check engine light ) came on and I could find no fault. I ran it for 3/4 days, filled up and it finally went off. Since checking to make sure that the gas cap was on correctly was done I "guess" that it may have been bad fuel. The same thing has happened to others, including my wife's '03 grand Cherokee, no fault found and the light finally went off after a tank or two of gas. Unless the light flashes there is no major problem that will get you stranded.

My left steering wheel Audio Control quit working correctly - replaced under warranty.

Lug nuts were put on too tight by dealership and I stripped one while trying to change a flat - dealer problem not the Jeeps.

Gas mileage dropped considerably (down to about 17mpg) right after about 30K miles. I pulled the battery cables off and let the computer reset itself several times over the next 1-2K miles and eventually the mpg came back up to a reasonable level and no problems since.

I've had it in to the dealer twice for the Cruise Control not working and it is still intermittent. There are several folks on the forum who have installed their own and it's not really very hard. Eventually I'll pull the steering wheel off and take a look at it myself. I don't think that the "clockspring" is making good contact.

Just little picky things, nothing alarming. I may have forgotten a couple of things but they just weren't important enough to retain.

Yes, it tells you that the Doors and Gate are AJAR and if you get the Drivers Convenience Group it will also tell you Outside Temp, Tire pressures, AVG MPG and many other things.

Thread Subscription: Open the menu "Quick Links" near the top of the forum and click on "Edit Option". You will find these options in the second box down. Change them according to your preferences.

Thanks, Bob, for your patience with my questions, and thanks for making a new thread just for me! LOL Well, me and anyone else curious about the model. I had no idea a computer malfunction could affect gas mileage.
Unread 01-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Any time! One hiccup in a circuit board can do very strange things but all cars use them anymore it's not a problem just isolated to Jeep or any other in the rest of the industry. That's why they spit out codes so that another computer can talk to your computer. Like R2D2 to C3PO.

Unread 01-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I kinda left this without adding that there are 3 fail safes built into the CVT transmission and many other "drivability" components. It would be rare if you had a catastrophic failure that would cause a total shut down. Most systems are checked at start up and continuously monitored and it take 3 "faults" in a series in less time than a heartbeat to cause a code to log in.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.