Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Gas tank issue-When pumping it shuts off before full

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  b1llyw 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2009 Jeep Compass bought in late February. I love it, but find when I go to get gas, the pumps will shut off after like $0.27 and so I move the tube thing to a different angle and then it will go to about $5 and so on. It is kind of irritating, because I like to fill to a full tank, and am always worried it will somehow overflow if the thing in the tank that tells the pumps to stop is not working. Is there any easy fix to that? Sorry for not knowing the technical terms. My past vehicles were all cars, so maybe it is an SUV thing?

I have tried at different gas stations and even in different states, but almost always have the same issue.

#3 ·
All gas tanks are vented to a charcoal canister these days and what is happening is that the gas is going in faster than it can vent causing the gas to back up in the filler neck and triggering the shut off. The tank not venting properly can be caused by a rusted, broken or clogged vent on older vehicles but since yours is new we can probably eliminate those reasons.

Just about all gas nozzles are curved some what and if you try and shove it in all of the way then the curve ends up hitting on the inside of the filler neck "splashing" gas back up to trigger the shut off prematurely. Try these and see what works: only insert the gas nozzle in for a comfortable fit and slow down the flow by not using the last notch on the auto fill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.