JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Gas tank (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/gas-tank-361325/)

echocat22 01-13-2007 06:29 PM

Gas tank

checked the book, have a compass sport 4x4, would guess all have the same gas tank volume, is it really only 13.5 gallons:confused:

Jgrillz 01-14-2007 12:20 AM

Yea the gas tank seems small.

echocat22 01-14-2007 05:33 AM

my subaru 2.5rs(2885 pounds) had a 14.9 gallon tank, i figured the compass would of had a least that, oh well

flatlanderep 02-02-2007 07:24 PM

my neighbor just bought one of these, filled up the tank and on the way back to the house, the GAS TANK FELL OUT!!!!
talk about irony huh?

....bring it back to the dealership and ask them to replace your tank
I think the recall number is #45311-982

XJ2Timer 02-03-2007 09:32 AM

I dislike how the gas tanks are getting smaller. I suppose it is for two reasons. One is for handling. To tune the suspension between a full and near empty tank the smaller capacity results in less of a weight difference. Second is fuel economy. If the vehicle is more fuel efficent they think the tank can be smaller which also by carrying less fuel/weight it also helps mpg. This all sounds great, in theory. But what if you are traveling hundreds of miles? To make the trip as short as possible it might make more sense to drive a larger vehicle with a larger gas tank. Sure I'll spend more in gas but I might be able to travel farther/longer without stops with the larger vehicle. I'd gladly trade many of the convenience items on a vehicle for a larger tank.

Gramps 02-03-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ2Timer
I dislike how the gas tanks are getting smaller. I suppose it is for two reasons. One is for handling. To tune the suspension between a full and near empty tank the smaller capacity results in less of a weight difference. Second is fuel economy. If the vehicle is more fuel efficent they think the tank can be smaller which also by carrying less fuel/weight it also helps mpg. This all sounds great, in theory. But what if you are traveling hundreds of miles? To make the trip as short as possible it might make more sense to drive a larger vehicle with a larger gas tank. Sure I'll spend more in gas but I might be able to travel farther/longer without stops with the larger vehicle. I'd gladly trade many of the convenience items on a vehicle for a larger tank.

I tend to agree that the gas tank could be bigger, in the 16 – 18 gal range so that I could comfortably go 400 miles non stop, the 300 mile range is adequate for my weekly commute if I have no side trips. I’m sure that one of the reasons that I do enjoy the smaller tank is purely psychological; it takes fewer dollars to fill it up but, it wouldn’t matter if I still filled up only once a week. It was also OK on the cross country trip because there are plenty of stations along the way and we made frequent stops to look for “treasures”. If someone made a larger aftermarket tank I may be interested in it.

I don’t think that the handling would be adversely affected because I believe that weight distribution is calculated on ˝ tank capacity and that would only affect it by 1 ˝ - 2 ˝ gallons and it would be low in the center of gravity.

snikr 02-03-2007 12:34 PM

Yes....3 or 4 more gallons would be nice. Seeing as we only put about 145 miles a week on the Compass it's not a big problem right now.

Tom

BuzzDog 02-04-2007 08:55 AM

I don't necessarily see a sweeping trend toward smaller tanks. For example, my first new car was a 1980 Mustang Ghia with a 200 c.i. inline six (remember the era before you start teasing me mercilessly); I seem to recall that its tank held somewhere around 12 gallons, and it was hard pressed to get 18 mpg, for a cruising range of less than 200 miles unless you ran it bone dry.

It seems that automakers shoot for somewhere around a minimum of 250 miles to a tank, using the EPA mileage figures multiplied by capacity.

A couple of nice things about not having a huge tank: When I travel a lot for work my Jeep sometimes goes only 100 miles or so in a month, so I don't have to worry about the fuel breaking down if I don't get around to topping off the tank, even though major fuel breakdown is fairly unlikely. Second, gasoline formulations in some markets are slightly modified to reduce emissions as temperatures fluctuate; in other words, the "winter formula" for fuel is slightly different than the ones used in other seasons. A smaller tank might make a slight difference in the quality of the air you breathe, and I'm all for breathing better air.

But again, those two advantages are a bit of a stretch...in reality, I think that manufacturers strike a compromise between weight, range and the ability to fit a tank within the vehicle.

The time now is 10:50 PM.