Gas Mileage Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Gas Mileage Question

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 07-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
reduno

Gas Mileage Question

I have a 2009 Jeep Patriot that only has about 2000miles on it. My daughter drives it. It is a basic, bottom line Patriot, no power anything (not door locks, not windows). 4cyl auto. It's rated at 23MPG city, 28 HWY and the salesman said if we put the "new" type of air in the tires (is it nitrogen or something like that), we'd get another 2-3 MPG EASY. We did that too.

My daughter doen't drive with a lead foot (yet), does mostly city driving around the suburbs and tries to coast when she can, but the car really has no coasting ability at all. She only gets about 18MPG.

Now I've owned Chrysler cars since 1985 (85 Dodge 600, 95 Carvavan, 2001 PT cruiser and 2004 caravan) but never owned a Jeep. EACH and Every ONE of those other cars got at least what the city MPG est. was, usually a tad more. My PT is heavy as can be and gets 20-21 in the city. I've been told that the break in of a new car these days isn't what it was in the 'old' days and basically makes no dif now so I'm trying to figure out why this car is getting such horrible gas mileage.

Anyone out there with this same model having the same issues? Much appreciated.

reduno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Maybe it's the humidity! (Sorry j/k) The CVT does take some getting use to but with 2K on it that doesn't sound logical. The mileage does start to improve somewhere around 3 - 5K and let the engine and trans do what they are supposed to do, don't baby it. I've got 48K on mine and right now I'm getting 23.5 or so. I have been down to 18 when something wasn't right. The dealership blamed the gas but it was a 2K trip with many different gas stations.

A little trick that many of us have tried that works pretty consistently is to disconnect the battery for about 1/2 hour, it resets the computer and mine always jumps up to about 26mpg or so and then settles down after a tank or two.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

I have an '09 FWD 5 speed manual with 11,000 miles. It is not uncommon for me to make several 200 to 400 mile trips in a week for work and I check my mileage every tank. I typically get 26mpg on the longer trips where I have the cruise set at 75mph for the whole trip. However at my last oil change (Last week) I used Mobil1 and now the last 3 tanks I have gotten 28, 31, and 28. I'm not ready to say switching to Mobil1 got me an extra 2 or 3 mpg's just yet. There are plenty of other variables that could come into play but if I go 4 or 5 more tanks and still am getting the same higher numbers I'll be a believer.
The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests - Patrick Henry
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I consistently get around 30 mpg on the highway with our 5 speed manual tranny. I never consider gas mileage for city driving because there are so many variables. I'm lucky to get 22 mpg on the highway with our 99 XJ Cherokee and I won't even talk about city driving.

Last edited by miketmx; 07-20-2009 at 12:51 PM..
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
ChillyWillys
2008 MK Patriot 

I'm not a mechanic; but in light of what everyone else above is reporting for mileage with an automatic, it sounds like something else might be going on with your engine. I have a 2008 Patriot with the CVT and AutoStick. I bought it used this past April with 17,000 miles on it. I've been pretty consistently getting 26 MPG/Highway with mine. I should also add that I have it in AutoStick's 6th gear as much as possible when on he highway.

CW
ChillyWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

A note on my driving - all back roads, turn off, stop signs and small towns. No freeway and no heavy city driving.

Unread 07-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
windbane
2007 MK Patriot 

I get 9L/100kms (about 26mpg...supposedly the 2.4 L engine get 34mpg on the hwy) on my 07 Patriot (2.4L 4x4). I drive 300kms (about 200 miles), round-trip everyday for work, all hwy. I use cruise with the CVT, it gets better mileage than me controlling the throttle , I usually set it to 110kms/h (65m/h), I find this speed the "sweet spot" so to speak. Going over this, I see a dramatic decrease in my mpg, going less...no real difference in mileage. Also I found keeping your tires set to 40psi instead of the recommended 35 psi, it's a little rougher drive, but it gets me a half gallon better mileage (not much, but at $0.94 at liter thats two bucks in my pocket for my morning coffee!!).
The CVT does getting used to, you only need to make small adjustments to your gas pedal to get your speed up. Going from 100km/h (60m/h) to 120kms/h (70ish m/h) takes the barest of pressure on the pedal. One other thing to consider for your mileage is what do you have on while driving. If you have the a/c cranked, or in winter your defroster or heater on, your gonna make the engine work harder, and therefore use more gas.
The best thing for better mileage is to be consistent in your driving. Pick a speed and stay there (use cruise if you have it), if there's a slow driver in front of you and you can't pass them, back off and stay back, don't hang back then rev up the engine to catch back up again, then repeat. And keep your speed down, your not driving a sports car!
windbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

I average right around 24mpg for my daily commute to work and back (50 mile round trip). Crap load of hills around here in Western Pa. that I have to climb so that does have an effect on the mileage to be sure. That's mostly city/residential driving for my route, not open highway. On our recent vacation to the Outer Banks in North Carolina, we were up to a little over 28mpg loaded up with 4 adults and luggage in the flatter areas down there.

Mine's an 07 Compass 4X4 Limited with the CVT Autostick as well and just over 49,600 miles on it. I mostly leave the Autostick just in normal 'D' unless road/weather conditions warrant otherwise.
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
RockCandy96
2007 MK Compass 

I just bought an '07 Compass and I get 24mpg in city. Just checked it the other day.
RockCandy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I just did the 100 mile round trip to the Belvidere Mopar Show. Some very nice, straight back roads and avoided the IL tolls at 55-60 mph and got 25.4mpg.

Unread 07-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

i'm averaging about 28mpg or 8L per 100 kms. Mostly highway with about 25% city. I stick to the speed limit or just a bit above (much to the anger of the people behind me!)
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
b1llyw
2007 XK Commander 

Just got 25.6 on my first tank in my Compass. City/highway mix.

07 Commander Sport 4x4, 4.7, Sirius Stratus, Factory RAK 6-CD Changer, MP3, Cassette, Superchips
b1llyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #13
agvol03
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was a service advisor at an auto dealership for a good while and the simplest answer to your question is.... There is about a 10mpg window either side of any estimate that you read or hear about in regards to a new car. The rating on glass and that they tell you about at the dealer was performed in a lab, under IDEAL conditions. In other words, on a dyno, not actual road surface, strict climate control, dozens of controlled variables to optimize performance, and with fuel you and I could only hope to get our hands on. They do this to get those great numbers to sell to us and yes,it is allowed. When you drive off the lot, you face gas quality, weather/humidity, surface condition, driving conditions ( i.e. , traffice, highway, stop n go)and about a million other things that affect milage . There is nothing wrong with your PAT, it is just that all the dozens of diff variables in your area, including your particular vehicle( they don't all run the same) have conspired to give you the milage that you are getting. I have an '08 4WD, automatic and get about 17 city/20hwy.
agvol03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
b1llyw
2007 XK Commander 

Just got my tank. On a drive back and forth to Boston, about 210 mile round trip, I got 29.5 mpg.

07 Commander Sport 4x4, 4.7, Sirius Stratus, Factory RAK 6-CD Changer, MP3, Cassette, Superchips
b1llyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I LOVE happy news!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.