Gas mileage has fallen off since tranny rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Gas mileage has fallen off since tranny rebuild

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-19-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

Gas mileage has fallen off since tranny rebuild

Hey, fellow MK owners. My '07 Compass fell prey to the bad batch of hydrolic actuators and had to have the clutch replaced and the tranny rebuilt. This was in January of this year and ever sense I've had it back my gas mileage has bottomed out. I keep up with my regular maintainance and fuel up at the same stations as before, yet my economy has fallen from 23 mpg to less than 20 on most tanks. I've added no new weight since last year nor have I changed my tires to a larger size (yet). Still, my mileage has degraded despite the use of fuel injector cleaner every oil change. I will admit that most stations in Florida have switched to the (nasty) "10% or less" ethenol crap gas. Has anyone else experienced such a mileage fall off since the beginning of the year? Sorry for such a long post but this is costing me more each fill up - even as gas prices fall some what. Thanx for any input.

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
fortuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I had the same thing start happening right before my 30K tune-up. I did the tune up and no change. Then I started doing the "disconnect the battery" thing and it would start all over reading 26+ mpg and very slowly fall off to about 18 mpg or so at the rate of .1 mpg/50 miles. We took it on a trip down to the Worlds Longest Yard Sale and stayed in Jamestown TN 750 miles from home. I filled up probably at 10 different stations going and coming and still the same thing, mileage would drop off after disconnecting the battery. I told the dealer about it when I got back, there were no codes, and their only explanation was bad gas. RIGHT! Bad gas at every station on a 1500 mile trip. About the 4th or 5th time I did the battery thing it finally went back up and has stayed there ever since (with in reason, it always drops when the temp gets down below 20 degrees).

Just to add another possibility is low battery voltage/amp output. During this last winter mine wouldn't hold enough of a charge to listen to the radio for 1/2 hour. It wouldn't turn over at all. I replaced the battery and everything has worked fine since then including getting about 1 - 2 mpg more than before. With all of the electronics having a good battery is critical.

I do realize that the 5 speed doesn't take to reprogamming like the CVT does, these are just shots in the dark because nothing else makes any since either.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the imput, Gramps. The disconnect trick I already tried and makes no difference. My mileage is starting to get as bad as the any of the three minivans (shudder) I once owned. With moderate city driving, I can burn through thirteen gallons of gas in about 200 miles. My dealer has no idea why this happens. Before the tranny rebuild, I could get at least 300 miles per tank. If I'd wanted a Jeep with this kinda mileage I'd have bought a Liberty.

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

Oh! No troubles with my battery. I can sit on my lunch break and blast my 458 watt system for a half hour with no problems. Fortuneer starts strong every time.

Unread 09-25-2009, 03:54 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortuneer View Post
Thanks for the imput, Gramps. The disconnect trick I already tried and makes no difference. My mileage is starting to get as bad as the any of the three minivans (shudder) I once owned. With moderate city driving, I can burn through thirteen gallons of gas in about 200 miles. My dealer has no idea why this happens. Before the tranny rebuild, I could get at least 300 miles per tank. If I'd wanted a Jeep with this kinda mileage I'd have bought a Liberty.
I hear you on that! I've been thinking about a Libby or a Wrangler myself but I'm not sure how fast gas prices are going to go up again.

Not a clue as to what else to look for but I'm curious, did the mpg come back up temporarily after the battery disconnect and then drop slowly back down? "Slowly" being a relative term.

Unread 09-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

There was no serious rise in mileage. I can burn through two tanks with HORRIBLE numbers then suddenly bounce up a couple mpg's on a random tank, then drop once more. Never has my mileage either risen or dropped after a computer reset. Very puzzling. I had all my mods (CIA, high-flow exhaust, etc, including weight added by lift and such) in 2008. This crappy fuel consumption only manifested itself after the clutch and tranny were replaced and rebuilt in early 2009.

Unread 09-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

Also, my acceleration curve remains the same as well. Performance is the same, just poor fuel economy.

Unread 09-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I think that the dealer should be contacting the Engineering field rep for you. It's not right and they need to find a solution.

Unread 09-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

Copy that, Gramps. Got a line on one that helped secure parts for my Jeep when Chrysler was having supplier difficulties. Will advise when events progress.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.