FYI - Plugged in Block Heater can trip the Check Engine Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > FYI - Plugged in Block Heater can trip the Check Engine Light

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

FYI - Plugged in Block Heater can trip the Check Engine Light

We've had that annoying little Check Engine light come on a few times last year during winter, and now once again this year.

We brought it by the stealership and apparently, if you happen to start the car while your car is still plugged in, it can upset the Jeep's computer. It's been a known problem with the '08s. They ended up flashing the computer to update the firmware.

I admit, I normally start the car, and then go unplug it. Sometimes I do it the other way around. I've never known it to be an issue before. Although now that the computer is flashed, it's supposed to be alright now.

Just thought I would share the experience to fellow MK owners - especially those with the block heater.

Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
rpiereck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mine must be flashed already, none of that problem here. I start mine with the autostart everyday and no issues so far.

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

rpiereck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

When we first got our Patriot I didn't think the block heater was working because it was so quiet compared to our Cherokee which makes a noise as soon as you plug it in. I took the Patriot to the dealer and they tested the block heater and said it was working just fine. I also use synthetic oil which makes starting in the winter a little easier. The only time I have ever seen the MIL light was during mid-summer in Illinois and I think it was a bad tank of gas. The light went away on our next fill up.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.