Full Size Spare - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Full Size Spare

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-25-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
snood
2007 MK Compass 

Full Size Spare

Who else in here has a full size spare?
Does the tire actually match your other four?
How about the wheel?

My full size spare is a 265 not a 275 like the others (Number maybe off) but nontheless they do not match. Anyone else have this problem?
I also have 18 inch rims and the spare is just a "SuperSize" donut rim.

Unread 09-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Look on the door post, even your spare is listed for psi setting. My spare is a 215/60R17" on a steel wheel that is 27.2" tall; my 4 on the ground are 215/55R18's at 27.3" tall. Nothing said that it matches, just that it's full size.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

my patriot temporary use full size spare has different numbers also (maybe the rim is different?) but the height is the same.

17 inch alloys here.
Unread 09-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
snood
2007 MK Compass 

Thats the major issue here is that the height is not the same. Also if any of you have owned a Grand Cherokee in the past and I believe that this is true for Cherokees, the full size spare has a matching rim. YAY for being really cheap.
Unread 09-26-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I don't consider .1" (3/32) to be a major difference in height. That's about 1/3 of the standard tread depth of 10 - 12/32 for a new tire.

Unread 09-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I dont think that 0.1 inch will make a diff either. its close enough that it wont mess up the ABS or traction control sensors.

I think thats why they give us the cheapo full size temp spares, the car would freak out with a donut spare on. it would think that tire has lost traction (it would spin faster that the others due to its tiny size) and the traction control would try to slow it down via braking so it revs the same as the full size ones. that would be cool to try on dirt, heh.. anyone wanna try it and make a vid?

so the next cheapest route is the full size temp spare - as cheap a one as they can get away with.

I do agree, a full matching tire/rim spare like my cherokee has would be nice. Im sure we could get a perfect match from the dealer but Im also sure we would pay through the nose.
Unread 09-26-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
lewis4246

Part of the deal when my wife and I bought our Compass last April of the dealer lot was they supply a full size spare. I don't know how but they got us the matching wheel and tire for us minus the center cap.
lewis4246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
My spare is a 215/60R17" on a steel wheel that is 27.2" tall; my 4 on the ground are 215/55R18's at 27.3" tall.
I certainly wouldn't call .1" a major height difference either, but, did you notice that the spare is actually the one that is .1" smaller.

Obviously the jeep engineers already accounted for the tread wear on the used tires!

Or, ............they're just cheap.
Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The spare used to be the smaller one but with 5/32 tread wear "on the ground" they are at 27.14. Oh, my!

Jeep Engineers aren't cheap, just frugal.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.