Freedom Drive II Off-Road Group for the Patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Freedom Drive II Off-Road Group for the Patriot

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
matikos98
2008 WK 

Freedom Drive II Off-Road Group for the Patriot

Hello... I may be getting rid of my XJ and getting a Patriot. I dont really go off roading besides when we go to the mountains.. and even then its very limited. I do love 4x4 though, its great for when I need it.

I wasn't sure if i needed or wanted the Freedom drive II off-road package; but its only a 50-100$ difference after everything is said and done.

Does anyone have one? if so can you post pictures and or tell me if its worth it? I would have to order the one i want since the dealers near me dont have any.... this is what im looking to get.

thanks-Theresa

This is Sold but you can still look.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/m...2/#post7807352
matikos98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I have a 99 XJ Cherokee and an 08 Patriot 4X4 with FD1 and the 5 speed manual. The Cherokee gets about 21 mpg on the highway and the Patriot frequently gets 30 mpg. The Patriot is awesome in the snow and on icy roads but I bought dedicated winter tires. The Cherokee is sometimes scary on an icy road with All Season tires and without ESP. We find FD1 is all we need as the only real off/road that I do is during the hunting season. The gas mileage is better with FD1 and the CVT has auto stick which is not available with FDII.

http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/data/22/jeep628.JPG

Last edited by miketmx; 01-29-2010 at 03:56 PM..
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'm sure the guys will pop in to answer some questions for you. In the mean time take a look in the sticky's for the Owners section, the Lifted section and the Quick Links "Off-road" thread and you'll see some of theirs.

The cost of the option really is inexpensive but over the long haul it will cost you more in gas. Not too much but some.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'll chime in. Let me be up front: I don't have a Patriot yet, but should have one by the end of the week. It's on hold, ready to go, and I just need to get a few things in order before taking it home. Silver limited 4X4, moonroof, security & convenience package...nice vehicle. The one I'm getting does not have the off-road group.

Key differences as I understand it:

- Off-road group has lower (numerically higher) gearing, hill descent control, skidplates, a little more ground clearance, and a few other goodies that would be great off road.
- Off-road group does NOT have the autostick on the CVT. Or at least that's what I've been able to figure out, but I could be wrong.

No autostick function is the only reason why I didn't special order one with the off-road group. I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to gear selection, and I found through my test driving that I really liked the combination of the CVT and autostick. An automatic makes way too much sense for me because of where I live (loads of traffic and steep hills), so a manual is out for me. The CVT & autostick combination is a winner for me...allows the convenience of an automatic with the ability to have more control over the engine's RPM and "gear" selection while negotiating the traffic and hills here.

If the autostick doesn't matter to you, then by all means, go for the off-road group. If you like the autostick, you could go for one without the off-road group, and then add in some of the other stuff later like the taller tires and skidplates. If you're not sure whether or not you like the autostick, go for a test drive over some hilly terrain and see whether you think you'd use autostick. And be sure to include some highway runs in there, and do some passing moves as well, both in drive and using autostick. I've only been able to do short lower-speed test drives, but the autostick was a winner for me. And reading comments from other Patriot owners on another forum about how they use autostick really cemented in my mind that the autostick was worth more to me than the off-road goodies.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The "standard" Patriots ground clearance is 7.5", that's the FWD version. Add 4x4 and you get another 1". The larger tires of the off-road package give the extra 1/2" above that. So the off-road package is 1 1/2 " more ground clearance than the "standard" Patriot.

Info from the Engineers is that you can drop the FD II CVT down into "L" at any speed and it will go to the lowest gear available and then up shift at 6K just like the AutoStick. The programming won't let you self destruct the transmission.

CVT2L has a low of 19:1, the CVT2 has about 14:1 More info here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/r...-speed-395153/

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Like stated on another site "get the FII" your talking around $100 difference.
White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 04:23 AM   #7
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
No autostick function is the only reason why I didn't special order one with the off-road group.
Damn. I hate to tell you this but the AutoStick really isn't that big a deal - the transmission handles itself quite well. I think you really should have gone for the off-road group if that was your only reason to hold back. :/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.