Ford guy here! Need help purchasing a Jeep Patriot or a Compass. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Ford guy here! Need help purchasing a Jeep Patriot or a Compass.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 03-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
bbqbob54

Ford guy here! Need help purchasing a Jeep Patriot or a Compass.

Hello, first time posting!
I am a long time Ford guy who is thinking of getting his first Jeep and the Patriot and the Compass are both in my price range. I am concerned about their reliablity, they seem to get better ratings than other Jeep models but I am still concerned about some things. I have heard of some of the Patriots leaking water, is this true? What has been your experience with both these vehicles? I am looking at the leftover 2008 models. Likes? Dislikes? Thanks!

bbqbob54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
Jawa78
2008 MK Compass 

You drive a found on road dead car/truck and you wonder about the reliability of jeep?

While I have personal bias against them the WK grand cherokees are very realiable, and never had any problems with my friends Wrangler unlimited. and I never had a problem with my TJ wrangler.

so I heard of some Fords exploding on the interstate. I also heard of some Fords catching on fire while parked in driveways and parkinglots.

Now that I ranted and vented. What are you driving now? A Compass/Patriot might be in your price range but are you ready for it. What I mean is I have had family and friends not like the compass/pat off the bat as first as they were use to driving big v8s. Now I went from a big v8 in my Grand Cherokee down to this 4 banger. It does not feel like a 4 banger more like a v6 it has alot of pep and goes very fast when it wants to. But it not like driving some thing that has that ford 4.6l v8 that found in everything from a towncar to f150 back in the day. So depending on what you drive is how comfortable your going to be in a pat/compass . I would say the CVT is another thing you get use to unless you buy a used compass/pat when I drove my compass off the lot at 14 miles on the odometer I could feel a slight jerk when I let my foot off the gas and cost it was the cbt shifting down. Well about at the 1k mark the cvt was "broken in" and it shifts down smoothly. If there are any real problems with the pat/compass line I would say search hear and read through some threads as most everyone comes to jeep forum. While I never hear of pats leaking water, it might of happen but I never seen any threads about it yet

Jawa78
The man who can never have too many jeeps 4 and counting.
Jawa78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawa78 View Post
You drive a found on road dead car/truck and you wonder about the reliability of jeep?
He's inquiring about buying a Jeep (Just Empty Every Pocket) and you're knocking him for asking about them?

Quote:
While I have personal bias against them the WK grand cherokees are very realiable, and never had any problems with my friends Wrangler unlimited. and I never had a problem with my TJ wrangler.
He asked about the 'riot...

Quote:
so I heard of some Fords exploding on the interstate. I also heard of some Fords catching on fire while parked in driveways and parkinglots.
Point? I've heard of all makes and models doing the same thing.

Quote:
Now that I ranted and vented.
a.k.a. Entered useless content.

Quote:
While I never hear of pats leaking water, it might of happen but I never seen any threads about it yet
Kudos for the rest of what you typed. And yes, the MKs have been found to have leaking issues through the roof, more-so towards the rear. I've seen a few threads regarding this.

Jawa78: For the price you pay compared to others in the same class, you almost can't go wrong. We put 30,000kms on our MK already and the worst we experienced was a squeaky clutch, and a power steering pump with an internal leak. (Just caused a lot of noise.) So far, it's a great vehicle!
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
bbqbob54

Hey I have always had great luck with my Fords (Fix Or Repair Daily in some people's opinion) from my '66 Falcons to my '99 4x4 Ranger...these vehicles always start and get me where I want to go with hundreds of thousans of miles logged. The only Chrysler product I have ever owned was a '72 Plymouth Cricket., what POS that car was! All that being said I have lately been drawn to the Jeeps. They are just a little different from all other 4x4 vehicles.
The horsepower issue is not a problem as my Ranger has the small six and it is very under powered. I do not go offroad but live in Maine where the winter roads can be brutal, not just slippery but rough and potholed so I do want some ruggedness in a 4x4. It will be used for camping trips and maybe put a canoe on top or a bike or 2 mounted to it. I know some don't respect either the Patriot or the Compass (especially the Compass) because they are not "Jeep" enough. I just need some opinions. Thanks for your comments Jawa and Knightfall!
Unread 03-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Now, now, no fighting. I used to go off on shivies like that. My Model A was one of the best cars I ever owned and the Corvair was a lot of fun too.

First the attributes that cover both. You live in Maine and I suspect you get a little snow along with a lobster fest once in a while. You're gonna love it. Snow? What snow? We don't care about no stinkin' snow! These are really the greatest on the road, inclement weather, grocery getter's I've ever seen! The only thing that bothers me is a white out and it doesn't have infrared radar. Bummer.

Keep in mind that most people join or read a forum because they are having some kind of problem but many are isolated. You can skim threw the TSB's and see what kind of things that the factory has listed as "concerns" if a customer complains. The link also covers all Caliber's including the SRT's and they also have date of manufacture disclosure.

The CVT's seem a little slow off the line but some of that is just perception. They're very smooth on the shifting so you'll need to watch the speedometer until you get used to the CVT. Per Jawa78 many have noticed the abrupt downshift in the early stages that smooths out pretty quickly.

The 5 speed is better off the line and will give you a little better mpg. There is a TSB on the syncros not being up to par from the vendor and the clutch slave cylinder is an internal unit that I've one or two issues on. Also a clutch pedal squeak will get a lube job under warranty/TSB.

A problem common to both are leaky sunroofs caused by pinched drain tubes covered by a TSB. Mine leaked because a leaf got stuck in the tube (1) and I wasn't quick enough to close it when a sudden down pout hit at work (2).

The Patriot has also been noted to leak by quite a few even without a sunroof. One fellow finally had the dealer buy his back from him and he bought a Liberty instead. It appears that either the roof seams were either not sealed or welded properly on some.

Another fellow hated the ride in his Compass so much that he traded it in on a Patriot. About all we heard was that the Patriot was everything the Compass is not but few details explaining why other than the ride. Between the Compass, Patriot, Sport, Limited and Off Road package there are 7 different sets of springs used.

Common to both again, very limited though, is suspension parts not properly tightened at the factory; tie rod ends and one report on the rack and pinion unit.

Other isolated and what I consider minor things reported that have either been resolved under warranty or TSB's for the most part such as steering wheel audio control malfunction, a few "no start" conditions by some, squeaky brakes in reverse (a part put in backwards at the factory), some one had a wiper that wouldn't turn off.

I'm really trying hard to think of a few more things but nothing is coming to mind. They really are very dependable and road worthy for an entry lever bit of transportation. What many call a "cheap plastic interior" is really very easy to clean.

A CRICKET! OMG, I thought that I had wierd stuff!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
bbqbob54

Hey Gramps, Thanks for the info! That was a pretty comprehensive overview. I test drove the Compass with manual tranny and it seemed like a pretty nice ride. I plan on test driving the Patriot this week. What I liked about both of these Jeeps is they seem to have better reliablity than the rest of the Jeep family but I do admit the reports of the leaking roof on the Patriot concerned me. It seemed like an odd problem to have. Hopefully it was mostly in early models.
BTW, the Plymouth Cricket was a Hillman Avenger imported from England with that notoriously unreliable Lucas ignition. Hell, a foggy day would cause it not to start. They had a life span of about 4 years before they rusted out and everything quit working. Mine died with less than 45,000 miles on it.
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I had an MG Midget with SU's down in Tucson and the change in humidity from real early AM to noon played hell with the way it ran. It was still a great little street legal go cart when it ran right! I remember LOTS of foggy days in the UK. That's probably when you're supposed to do the tune up.

The wife has had 2 Grands, a '96 and an '03. The only real problem on the '96 (until I figured it out) was that the over the axle pipe would swing down and lay on the rear sway bar throwing it in to the "death wobble". A new exhaust cured that. Our neighbor bought a '96 Grand when the wife did and now she's bought a Compass. She loves her's too, both of them.

Unread 03-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Let me throw in one more thing. The tires from the factory are mediocre at best with the 17" Wranglers on the Patriot being better than the others. The 18" Firehawks are pretty much worn out between 35 and 40K miles (you'll be thankful) and there aren't any really good replacements. See if you can swing a deal on some 16" Patriot rims at least, for winter tires. They might not be the prettiest rims but tire selection is wonderful and cheap.

Unread 03-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
Jawa78
2008 MK Compass 

If you end up with a compass make them get rid of those noisy Firestone Affinity tires. I use them have no problems on slick roads just going 65+ down the interstate you hear too much road noise.

To the Orginal poster I would like to apologize. My first vehicle was a 99 limited Grand Cherokee fully loaded. paid 32k for it I saved up 16k in hard work and etc for it. Parents came up with the other half. Not bad considering I was 17 at the time. I literally just retired it from my Daily driver 7 months ago, though it seems like yesterday. I replace her with my compass. Sometime between the years of early 99 to late 2008 I picked up a 92 wrangler and a 52 M38A1. Wrangler as my offroad beatem up and the M38 she is my hobby aka a hole in the ground that I just dump lots and lots of money into ( rebuilt engine whole 9 yards) Top it off my grandmother was a victum of the famous Ford Exploder line and was in a nasty roll over . My aunt had her car catch on fire while sitting in the driveway off. So I have a strong dislike for Ford and there questionable products. As Ford knew of QS at firestone and were found responsbile in the Class Action. So sorry if I jump on you for you questioning the realibility of Jeep product line considering Fords tend to instantsly catch on fire or explode on the highway with bad tires.

Last edited by Jawa78; 03-16-2009 at 10:53 PM..
Unread 03-16-2009, 11:56 PM   #10
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

the only real problem i've had with my compass is a "no bus" that pops up and absolutley nothing can be done. I rest the battery and all is well. Other than that, there is pretty much NOTHING that I can complain about. (so far). I'm at 36,000km (approx) and its done very well. I do my regular maintanence and I have a few mods (cai, lowered, tint) and no problems still. Has been very reliable (as long as I keep that wrench for the battery lol).
patrick3319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
bbqbob54

Seven Fords, no fires!
Unread 03-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #12
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I have a 99 Cherokee 4X4 and a 08 Patriot with 5 spd. The AWD Patriot is much better on icy roads than the Command Trac RWD Cherokee but my canoe will not fit on the narrow factory luggage rack of the Patriot.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Check out what Gaze posted over here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...65&postcount=3

Maybe the last thing to do before buying a Patriot is to take it threw a car wash and check for leaks. Sorry, I'm not trying to be funny!

Unread 03-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
bbqbob54

I test drove a Patriot with the CVT auto tranny and wonder if anyone has had problems with it? I would seem like it will need getting used to.
Unread 03-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
Jawa78
2008 MK Compass 

I only use the cvt when I need to floor it getting on busy highway. Generally alot of MKs have a slight jerk or kick back as i call it when it downshifts. This goes away with time aka putting milage on it. the kick during downshift went away close to when I hit 1k on the odometer. CVT is not a new or latebreaking technology so it is pretty stable with out hickups. I would say that since the CVT system that jeep uses on the MK line is completly closed system any problem with the cvt from my understanding mean a whole new cvt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.