Flywheel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Flywheel?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Jennsvoboda
2008 MK Compass 

Flywheel?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2008 Compass that I absolutely love. Recently a loud whistling, rattling noise started from my engine compartment, so I took it to the shop and had the idler pulley replaced. This stopped the whistling sound, but the rattle just keeps getting louder. The mechanic thought it was the ac condenser, but I disagree. It sounds like a flywheel issue to me. Is there any way that I can diagnose this myself?

Jennsvoboda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
dirkdiggler106
2012 MK Patriot 

Did you open the hood and listen around and try to find where the noise is coming from? Why do you think the flywheel is bad? How many miles on the jeep?
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

A 'rattle' noise could be a lot of things, including the maniverter (exhaust manifold/cat converter combo). It's just not likely that the flywheel would loosen up for any reason. Knowing the mileage might help and do pop the hood and find more specifically what area the rattle is coming from.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

XJs have this problem, at least on autos that I know of. The bolts on the flex plate would loosen up, causing noise.
Im sure its possible the same could have happened with the MK.

My guess would be something else though. Theres so much that can rattle under the hood. I would try to locate the sound. Grab a stethescope if you have to.
Unread 06-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
dirkdiggler106
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansCJ View Post
XJs have this problem, at least on autos that I know of. The bolts on the flex plate would loosen up, causing noise.
Im sure its possible the same could have happened with the MK.

My guess would be something else though. Theres so much that can rattle under the hood. I would try to locate the sound. Grab a stethescope if you have to.
XJ and patriot are two completely different animals. I had that happen to one of my XJs as well though.

The patriot has a "car" style motor and setup...
Unread 06-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
Jennsvoboda
2008 MK Compass 

I've got 60,000 miles on it. I've popped the hood and even crawled under while it was running, but its so loud now that I can't pinpoint where the sound is coming from...I guess I'm just going to take it to a mechanic and hope for the best
Jennsvoboda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
dirkdiggler106
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennsvoboda View Post
I've got 60,000 miles on it. I've popped the hood and even crawled under while it was running, but its so loud now that I can't pinpoint where the sound is coming from...I guess I'm just going to take it to a mechanic and hope for the best
Good luck with the repairs... Without a more specific issue or description its hard to help on a forum... I would have better luck diagnosing "a loud whistling, rattling noise started from my engine compartment" in person...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.