Fit different head unit in Compass - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Fit different head unit in Compass

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 09-10-2007, 04:08 AM   #31
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soycap
The install is completed and went very well. There is a ton of room behind the dash.

I didn't document the entire install in pictures, but I took a few to show the fit, which was perfect:

http://www.boodaw.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2487

As far as the CHYAH05 goes, everything I needed is working as it should:

Accessory Output = WORKING
Illumination Output = WORKING
Vehicle Speed Sense (VSS) = WORKING
Amp Remote Input = not in use/not tested
Reverse Output = not in use/confirmed does not work on manual trans (this is documented by "Peripheral Electronics")
Parking Brake = not in use/not tested due to wiring the AVIC-D3 bypass
Steering Wheel Control = not in use/not tested

It appears to me that the CHYAH05 will work with an MK just as it will with any other 2004 - 2007+ Chrysler. I cannot confirm this for the functions I did not use, but the functions I did use operated exactly as documented.

To sum up the install:
The basic components needed to install a double-din nav:
- OEM Compass Nav Bezel - $40
- METRA 99-6510 kit- $20
- CHYAH05 - $100
- Chrysler radio antenna adapter - $10
- 10" of pipe insulation - $0

The system:
- Pioneer AVIC-D3 - $720
- Pioneer Bluetooth module - $140
- Screen Protector - $15

So it ran me about $1050 to get the following features:
- In Dash Nav
- Bluetooth
- 2 Aux ports
- RCA outs
- DVD

Basically it cost us less than 1/2 of the OEM nav and bluetooth and we got the critical features of AUX ports and RCA outs, in addition to DVD (which I doubt we will use, but it's there.)
Wow that looks brilliant soycap! You have restored my hopes in upgrading my sound system again! I too have the manual transmission (6-speed diesel), so I would assume the Reverse Output applies to me too (not even sure what that is.... reverse lights? Same with parking brake??)

mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #32
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks.

The reverse output can be connected for use with a rear view camera option like this one:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...543200,00.html

I'm sure you could still hookup this lead to the HU if you wanted to, you would just need to tap the reverse lights and run the cable to the HU. I think hooking up this lead may also change your orientation in the nav system when driving in reverse (a cute feature, but not necessary).

The parking brake output indicates if the parking brake is on. This is for nav system safety features like disabling DVD video while driving and ability to input into the nav system while driving. I choose to bypass the safety with the following hack for our unit:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4670

I'm sure the parking brake output works, but I would rather the passenger have the ability to operate the nav touch screen while we are driving, so I did the bypass.
Unread 09-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #33
athanasios

This looks brilliant. Congratulations on a perfect installation!

May I ask, which stock system you replaced? If it's the Boston Acoustics one, are you still using a factory amp, or did you bypass everything and wire the speakers directly?
athanasios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #34
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

We replaced the basic REF system (Single disk, no factory amp). There are some specific limitations with the fader documented using the CHYAH05 adapter with the BA 9 speaker upgrade:

http://peripheralelectronics.com/per...structions.pdf

I guess one way around that would be wiring some of the speaker pairs to a separate amp or the HU amp to get the ability to fade.
Unread 09-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #35
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
We replaced the basic REF system (Single disk, no factory amp). There are some specific limitations with the fader documented using the CHYAH05 adapter with the BA 9 speaker upgrade:

http://peripheralelectronics.com/per...structions.pdf

I guess one way around that would be wiring some of the speaker pairs to a separate amp or the HU amp to get the ability to fade.
Interesting. I too have the single disk/no factory amp, not sure on the code for mine - or if it is the same. My stock head unit has the two knobs for the volume control and radio tuner.

What I am getting at is, I notice on your system, the front silver bezel - does not have the half circle cut outs where the stock head unit knobs sit. The only bezel I have seen like this, are for the MKs with the NAV system....

Am I missing something here?
mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #36
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You'll find the radio code in the lower right corner of the face plate. I've also heard of a REG in S. America that is the same as an '03 Dodge.

I haven't seen a cover like this either except for the NAV radio. Is that what this one is?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2007, 09:16 PM   #37
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

Yep, it's the nav bezel:

https://www.1stjeepparts.com/product...oducts_id/1531

You need both the bezel and support bracket that come with the kit.
Unread 09-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #38
athanasios

@soycap:

Thanks for all this very useful information!!

I am just about to order my Compass. Since I will not get the factory navsat, but the AVIC-D3 as well, I was wondering whether to get the BA sound system, or the standard one.
How would you rate the sound of the speakers in combination with the D3? Did you change or are you going to change the speakers?

Thanks,
Alex
Unread 09-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #39
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

Right now we are still using the stock speakers and they sound very good for stock. If your not a crazy sound buff like me, you may be very happy with them. They do bump and run clean with the right tweaking on the HU. The difference between the stock HU and the AVIC-D3 is very noticable.

I don't think the BA system is worth it for $600, so I wouldn't seek it out. I would make use of it one way or the other if our jeep came with it from the lot, but it sounds like you are ordering yours from the factory and are choosing all of your options.

One problem with the BA system and any after market HU is that you lose the ability to fade, which I mentioned earlier. Another problem is it uses the speaker level out instead of a low level RCA out, which kind of sucks sound wise.

We plan on upgrading the speakers in steps and to see how it goes and will stop when we are happy.

Step 1: Install Infinity Kappa 693.7i (3-way) in the front doors
Step 2: Install Infinity Kappa 693.7i (3-way) or 692.7i (2-way) in the rear doors
Step 3: Connect 4 channel Infinity Reference 475a amp to both Fronts and Rears
Step 4: Install Shallow powered 10" Sub under passenger seat

I'm sure an Infinity Reference 475a running 4 Kappa 693.7i will blow the BA system out of the water for about $450 from a place like sonicelectronix.com, which is about $150 less than the BA system. You will also be able to fade and you will be using a proper low level RCA out. The more I think about it, we may just go with that setup out of the gate, but we are at least 4 - 6 months off before we do that.

All that being said...
- The stock speakers with the AVIC-D3 will be fine for many, if not most.

- If you think you will need more power than the stock speakers, don't mind the lack of fade or the speaker level out issue, and want to save some time pulling cable (you'll need to pull 4 - upgraded speaker cables from the amp to the doors, 1- 4 gauge power from the battery to the amp, 1 - 4 gauge ground from the chasie to the amp, 2 - RCA Cables and 1 - auto-on cable from the HU to the amp), the BA system may be a better option for you.

- If want more power than the stock speakers, more flexability, and don't mind the extra work, I would skip the BA system and go aftermarket.

Last edited by soycap; 09-12-2007 at 01:01 AM..
soycap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2007, 04:22 AM   #40
athanasios

Thank you very much. You answered all of my open questions.

Good sound is very important for me. Until recent I wouldn't even have considered a factory fit system, but they seem to have improved.

I don't mind upgrading cabling and stuff, but obviously also don't mind the "easy way".
Having said that, the missing fader is a big question mark for me. I've been in cars where the fader was hardly needed, but I've seen the contrary as well and would hate to have to compensate for the missing fader with resistors or different speakers ;-)

I was eyeing the the Infinity speakers as well. The only difference is that I would place the sub in a different place (a concession to my wife ;-)

The BA system is out of the equation now (I can live without the "fold out" speakers as I know I'll never use them).

Thanks again. Your advice has been very helpful.

Alex
Unread 09-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #41
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

Where are you thinking of putting a sub and what kind of setup?

I really want to go stealth with this setup. I have run dual 10" boxes in everything my wife and I have driven in the past 15 years, but I really want to go stealth with this vehicle and keep all of the cargo space flat and clear.
Unread 09-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #42
athanasios

Quote:
Where are you thinking of putting a sub and what kind of setup?
Not a 100% sure yet, but was thinking about building/getting a box somewhere in the trunk. Similar to where the BA sub is placed (maybe the plastic cover on the right side of the trunk which includes the sub "box" can be bought as a spare - @Gramps, have a part number for this by any chance?)

This is what I mean:
http://www.autoviaggiando.com/archiv...compass-06.jpg

Quote:
I really want to go stealth with this setup. I have run dual 10" boxes in everything my wife and I have driven in the past 15 years, but I really want to go stealth with this vehicle and keep all of the cargo space flat and clear.
I am with you here. I have had all subs below the passenger seat, but it got vetoed this time
Unread 09-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #43
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

I agree that using the BA box would be ideal.

I could not find the sub box cover specifically, but I did find the sub enclosure on page 133, part 68001775AA:

http://www.nearlynormal.biz/jeep/jee...rts_Manual.zip

Hopefully you will have better luck finding the panel. I am assuming it is not part of the enclosure, which based on the diagram it does not seem to be. Even with out the panel, using the enclosure I think I could fabricate a grille pretty easily cutting up the pocket that is in there now.

Anybody know the subwoofer speaker size?
Unread 09-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #44
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I've got the Sub info over here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...58&postcount=7

The page that the speaker grill should be on in nearly, normals site is 371. It's part of the rear quarter panel and doesn't look like it's sold separately. I believe that it would be the with RFS (Rear Factory Speaker, KA and DA are color codes)

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #45
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks Gramps!

I couldn't figure out what RFS meant and couldn't figure out why they didn't have the item number for the panel on that page (I'm not so bright sometimes). I'm guessing that replacing the whole panel wouldn't be worth it, so if I do this I think I'll fab something by removing the pocket. I may also get the BA speaker along with the enclosure, as I would not be surprised if it were an irregular size like 7" as you suspected.

How do you like the sound you get from the sub?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.